Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

Challenger Spy Videos (edmunds)

Old 08-19-2007, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Challenger Spy Videos (edmunds)

Dodge Challenger Test Mule on the Streets of Michigan

We've shown you plenty of coverage of the Dodge Challenger concept that debuted at the 2006 Detroit Auto Show. It's been making the rounds at car cruises across the country, so there's no shortage of footage of the concept car on the road.

But with production of the 2008 Dodge Challenger less than a year away, full-blown prototypes have been appearing on the streets outside Chrysler headquarters in Auburn Hills, Michigan. Our spy shooters managed to snag these latest spy photos along with some video of one such prototype despite attempts by the test driver to elude them.

There are no significant new details visible on this prototype. Its overall shape mimics the concept closely with its classic long hood/short deck proportions. One notable change is the appearance of what looks like a pair of B-pillars. The concept went without them, of course, but we're guessing the production model might need them to pass the crash test standards necessary for production. We hope we're wrong on this one.

From what our spy shooters could hear, this prototype was definitely running a V8, so expect to see the current 5.7-liter Hemi as the standard power plant in the 2008 Challenger. It's hard to tell at this point what transmissions will be offered. The concept had a six-speed manual, but if Dodge wants to sell the Challenger in any significant numbers, it's going to need an automatic, too. Some speculation says the manual will be reserved for the SRT version, but we think all models will offer both.

The fact that there will be an SRT version is almost certain, however, as Dodge will be looking to capitalize on the fact that the Challenger goes on sale well before the upcoming Chevrolet Camaro. If Dodge can get a 5.7-liter model out in the spring followed by a 6.1-liter version shortly thereafter, the company will be well ahead of Chevrolet, which isn't expected to start production of the Camaro until early 2009. We hear there will be V6 versions of the Challenger, too, but probably not at launch.

video available at: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...hotopanel..1.*
Old 08-20-2007, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Challenger Spy Videos (edmunds)

It was great to see and hear it on the road but I am not sure I learned any more than what I already know.

Good to hear it is being test driven because that means it is getting close to the real introduction and they are serious about getting it out the door.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:13 PM

Looks and sounds bad! Tough to tell (with the camo), but looks the same as the concept! Who cares about the b-pilar...that thing rocks! [sm=gears.gif]
Given the hype and likely price gouging early on, I'm hoping for a sweet 08 xmas.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:36 PM

the video was the best image yet at seeing how close the car is to the concept except the rear spoiler (which looks great to me). In the video one can tell they left the hood the same and the front looks as long as ever, not shortend like the other photoshop shot we saw on this forum. thanks for the preview! [sm=vader.gif]