Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

Chrysler to close California design studio

Old 03-08-2008, 05:19 AM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrysler to close California design studio

Gosh, that is sad. I guess we got the Challenger out in the nick of time.

I wonder what will happen to Michael Castiglione, designer of the Dodge Challenger Concept's exterior and , Alan Barrington, Designer of the concept's interior.

Chrysler to close California design studio

Fri Mar 7, 2008 10:06pm EST
DETROIT (Reuters) - Chrysler LLC on Friday said it would close a California studio that has helped design some of the automaker's biggest recent hits, including the Chrysler 300 sedan and the revived Dodge Challenger.

Chrysler, which became the first of the Detroit-based automakers to move a design studio to California in the early 1980s, on Friday said it would close its Pacifica Advance Product Design Center outside San Diego.

Now owned by private equity firm Cerberus Capital Management CBS.UL, Chrysler said it would consolidate its next-generation design work with its existing studios at its headquarters in Auburn Hills, Michigan.

Chrysler spokesman David Barnas said the move was consistent with the automaker's strategy of controlling costs and consolidating operations where it can.

"These changes set the stage for Chrysler's future global growth efforts," Barnas said in a statement.

It was not immediately clear how many employees would be affected by the closure of the Carlsbad, California-studio.

Chrysler's design operations, including its design of future vehicles, will remain under senior designer Trevor Creed in Auburn Hills, the company said.

Chrysler's crossover wagon drew its name from the Pacifica design studio. Chrysler said late last year that it was scrapping the model in a bid to cut costs and reduce areas of overlap in its vehicle lineup.

A number of major automakers maintain design studios in California for its proximity to a trend-setting market that ranks as the single largest in the United States.

In addition to its economic importance, California has also been the launchpad for auto-related trends ranging from some of the first drive-through restaurants to the more recent boom in hybrids. The state is also a hub for auto customizers.

Ford Motor Co (F.N: Quote, Profile, Research), Daimler AG (DAIGn.DE: Quote, Profile, Research), Toyota Motor Corp (7203.T: Quote, Profile, Research), Honda Motor Co (7267.T: Quote, Profile, Research) and Hyundai Motor Co (005380.KS: Quote, Profile, Research) all have studios in California.

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:55 AM

Default RE: Chrysler to close California design studio

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah 29:11

I guess we got the Challenger out in the nick of time.

I have the feeling that this statement is far more true than any of us will ever know.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: DamnSkippy

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...OTORSPORTSNEWS

They're leaning up and I believe they're going to figure out how to be a profitable innovative company again.

By RICHARD TRUETT, AUTOMOTIVE NEWS

Chrysler LLC is closing its Pacifica Advance Product Design Center, the studio near San Diego where several key vehicles -- such as the 300 sedan, Dodge Challenger and Pacifica crossover -- took shape in recent years.

All of Chrysler's future design work will take place at Chrysler's headquarters in Auburn Hills, north of Detroit.

"Increasingly, we are leveraging resources worldwide, forming new joint ventures and alliances and consolidating operations in order to better achieve global balance and manage fixed costs. These moves are designed to help Chrysler become a more globally focused manufacturer, with design, engineering, sourcing and a local presence to serve local customers," Chrysler said in a statement.

It was not immediately clear how many employees would be affected by the closure of the Carlsbad, Calif., studio.

In the late 1980s, Chrysler was one of the first automakers to open a California design studio. A number of automakers have studios in California because of the state's influence on culture and automotive styling trends.

Chrysler spokesman David Barnas said the move was consistent with the automaker's strategy of controlling costs and consolidating operations where it can.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

I have a bad feeling about this. I think it would be a good thing for the Big Three to start moving things FARTHER away from Detroit and into other sections of the country, not the opposite. This studio sounds like it has a pretty good track record in recent history. Since the days of the merger, Chrysler keeps thinking that if they just make themselves a little smaller, that will resolve their problems. Note to Chrysler, shrinking IS the problem. Cost cutting is killing your company, mash down hard on the bullet and invest like crazy into your company outside of Michigan.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 03-10-2008, 04:02 AM

I dunno, I can see how moving a studio OUT of California could be a potentially good thing. Have any of you ever priced real estate in California? It's BEYOND stupid. While I can certainly respect the designs that have come out of the Pacifica studios, I can imagine it had to be enormously expensive to keep it going with all of the involved overhead costs and such. Hopefully Cerebrus can find a suitable alternative spot to come out with their designs without much compromise.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Yankee

I dunno, I can see how moving a studio OUT of California could be a potentially good thing. Have any of you ever priced real estate in California? It's BEYOND stupid. While I can certainly respect the designs that have come out of the Pacifica studios, I can imagine it had to be enormously expensive to keep it going with all of the involved overhead costs and such. Hopefully Cerebrus can find a suitable alternative spot to come out with their designs without much compromise.
Well, its that way for a good reason. California tends to be the leader when it comes to new trends. You have to spend money to make money. Ever since the merger, Chrysler keeps trying to find new ways to save money and look at the results. They are struggling. Before the merger, they were spending more money and look at what was happening, they were making lots of money. If you want to be the best, you have to spend money for the best things. You need to best designers, not the left overs, you need the best engines, not the 9 years and still running designs, you need the best transmissions not the, hey we just fix the problem we've been dealing with for ten years transmission. That was how the Japanese caught us and unless we put in similar effort, we will continue to fall.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 03-10-2008, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

Default Chrysler Shutters Design Studio That Shaped Dodge Challenger and ...

ORIGINAL: joeyr

AUBURN HILLS, Michigan — Chrysler was one of the first automakers to set up a California design studio in the late 1980s. It was part of the rush to get ahead of automotive trends, which typically germinated on the West Coast. But the automaker announced on Friday that it will close its Pacifica Advance Product Design Center in Carlsbad, California, which was the incubator for such key products as the Dodge Challenger and Chrysler 300.

"Chrysler's global strategy is moving forward," the company said in a statement. "Increasingly, we are leveraging resources worldwide, forming new joint ventures and alliances and consolidating operations in order to better achieve global balance. These moves are designed to help Chrysler become a more globally focused manufacturer, with design, engineering, sourcing and a local presence to serve local customers."

It characterized the closing of the design studio as "part of the ongoing consolidation of our North American business and achieving a right-sized operational footprint to match market realities."

On Saturday, Chrysler said 20 employees at the Carlsbad facility will be affected, but the announcement did not spell out any specific designers. All of Chrysler's design work will now take place at the automaker's headquarters in Auburn Hills.

California has been widely regarded by automakers as a major hub of automotive design and an inspirational setting for designers hoping to tap into the youth market and trends in popular culture.

What this means to you: Score one for the Chrysler bean counters. But only time will tell if this surprising move hampers the creative minds at the beleaguered automaker

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=125088
Old 03-11-2008, 04:06 PM

ORIGINAL: RLSH700
Well, its that way for a good reason. California tends to be the leader when it comes to new trends. You have to spend money to make money. Ever since the merger, Chrysler keeps trying to find new ways to save money and look at the results. They are struggling. Before the merger, they were spending more money and look at what was happening, they were making lots of money. If you want to be the best, you have to spend money for the best things. You need to best designers, not the left overs, you need the best engines, not the 9 years and still running designs, you need the best transmissions not the, hey we just fix the problem we've been dealing with for ten years transmission. That was how the Japanese caught us and unless we put in similar effort, we will continue to fall.
Would you really classify the Challenger as a "new trend"? I agree with everything you said... except that I don't think where a car is designed really has anything to do with anything, unless you're looking for some sort of "prestige" factor. I have no doubt the Challenger would look just as great if it were designed in Detroit or Katmandu - they may not sound as glamorous as California, but if it gets the job done, I don't care if it's California or North Dakota.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Yankee

ORIGINAL: RLSH700
Would you really classify the Challenger as a "new trend"? I agree with everything you said... except that I don't think where a car is designed really has anything to do with anything, unless you're looking for some sort of "prestige" factor. I have no doubt the Challenger would look just as great if it were designed in Detroit or Katmandu - they may not sound as glamorous as California, but if it gets the job done, I don't care if it's California or North Dakota.
Yes, I would consider it to be a new trend. The reason is currently muscle cars are in for right now. How old category of car is irrelevant, it is what is hot at the time. Wouldn't you consider hybrids to be a new trend? I would; however, that is not a new idea at all either. That idea has been around since before most car companies were even made. They started with the idea on Motorcycles. They have been working on that stuff for a long time. Trends come and go is all. Back in 2002, it looked like the muscle cars were dead and buried besides the Mustang with the demise of the Camaro and Firebird, now everyone is coming back. When I first heard about the 300C, I thought it was a mistake because I thought that people wanted to stick with FWD V6 cars, not anymore.

The reason why I stress the importance is that California is generally the trend setter for the rest of the country. They generally determine the technology route and are the first to get the latest and greatest stuff, they have a heavy influence in the fashion industry, and they are the entertainment capital of the U.S. These things are key to making a successful car. You need to know which electronic devices are the smart ones to go with based on what people are looking for in a car. The fashion trends also influence what styling characteristics are going to be in. The entertainment is where you can have product placement and getting popular actors and good writers to do good advertisements. This is all key to the marketing. If price is the top priority, then why not send this operation to East St. Louis? Land is very cheap down there.

The other reason why sending this out of CA is a bad idea is because many of the top rated universities for a lot of these things are in that area, you can either pay for the best or get the adequate, the styling is a very important thing and based off of some of the flops Chrysler has had lately in styling, I think they are getting too many adequate people. Back in the 90s, each model was distinguishable. You would never confuse a Neon with a Stratus or a Stratus with an Intrepid. Each was distinct with their own styling cues and each looked completely different from their predecessors. Now the Avenger looks like a cross between a Stratus, Charger, and Spirit. The Charger's had the rear styling based off of the 300M. They need better people.

The other thing is Chrysler needs to focus less on Detroit and focus more on the areas were they are losing customers. The Japanese are taking over the south and the coasts, the more they pull out of those ar

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 03-13-2008, 05:21 AM

You may be right... I guess my personal bias against California is showing thru (nothing against any Californians here - you all have my deepest sympathies ).

I just don't see California as the be-all end-all when it comes to the latest "cutting edge trends". Sure they've had their moments... but I think (I hope) their supposed reign is over. Real estate there is stupidly expensive, they're trying to get their own legislative measures passed on higher MPG requirements, many of their prominent cities are vehemently anti-military, plus they've got all the loony brain-dead Hollywood celebrities all over the place telling us what we should be doing (like THEY know best)...

I think it's time that they reap what they sow, and if ANY business there decides it's time to pull up their stakes in search of greener pastures elsewhere, they've got my full support.

Quick Reply: Chrysler to close California design studio