Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

Chrysler flexes a bit more muscle

Old 04-03-2008, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrysler flexes a bit more muscle

http://www.wellandtribune.ca/Article....aspx?e=969302

functional hood scoops...hee hee ......

Chrysler flexes a bit more muscle
Posted 1 hour ago

Chrysler is already improving its Dodge Challenger performance coupe with the announcement that the 2009 model year SRT8 coupe will feature a six-speed manual (in addition to the five-speed AutoStick automatic in the 2008 model) controlling a 425-hp 6.1-litreHEMIV8, and a limited-slip rear differential.

It all adds up to reported zero to 100 km/h times of about five seconds, a quarter mile in 16.5 seconds, zero to 100 mph and back to zero in 13.3 seconds and a full stop from 60 mph in 110 ft.

Two new colours have been announced - TorRed and B5 Blue. Both will be available later in the model year.

"The 2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 builds on the enthusiasm that started with the 2008 model, thanks to a host of new features designed to delight pure driving enthusiasts," said Mike Accavitti, who is director of Dodge Brand and SRT Global Marketing, Chrysler LLC.

"While staying true to the original Challenger formula, Dodge and SRT have added a six-speed manual transmission, a limited-slip differential, new colours, a new look for the hood stripes and a classic "pistol-grip" shifter.

The result is a Dodge muscle car packed with modern amenities and features any enthusiast will love."

The all-new six-speed - the Tremec TR-6060 - is matched with a race-inspired dual-disc clutch and was first offered on the 2008 Dodge Viper SRT10.

Fully adaptive electronic control of all shifting makes the powertrain feel responsive while electronically controlled engine torque management provides smooth full-throttle launches, quick wide-open-throttle upshifts and smoother, quicker two-step down-shifts.

An electronically modulated converter clutch (EMCC) assists in improving fuel economy while maintaining smooth operation.

The transmission is remotely attached to a new "pistol-grip" shifter reminiscent of the classic Dodge Challenger's original shifter.

With a ride height one-half inch lower than the Challenger R/T and SE models, SRT-tailored spring and shock rates, sway bars and a uniquely tuned Electronic Stability Program (ESP), Dodge Challenger SRT8 reportedly delivers optimum ride and handling for both the street and the track.

Advertisement

Built on a unibody construction, the new 2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 features a multi-link short- and long-arm (SLA) front suspension and a five-link independent rear suspension (IRS).

SRT-exclusive 20-inch fully forged aluminum wheels are shod with Goodyear Eagle RSA tires or optional three-season Goodyear F1 Supercar tires.

Visually, the hood features a raised centre and new-for-2009 black stripes and functional dual scoops.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Chrysler flexes a bit more muscle

I wish they were truly functional. At least we are getting the manual and it is a pistol grip (or as Jeremiah called it a "umbrella grip").

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 04-03-2008, 02:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you see the 1/4 mile times amd 0-100-0
Old 04-04-2008, 04:26 PM

Yeah... that was the first thing I noticed... the ho-hum lackluster 1/4 mile performance... but makes up for it in the 0-100-0 stats. Maybe you get better 1/4 mile times by mashing on the brake at half way mark...
Old 04-04-2008, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: RLSH700

I wish they were truly functional. At least we are getting the manual and it is a pistol grip (or as Jeremiah called it a "umbrella grip").
Well in that one picture it did look like an umbrella handle.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:39 AM

no functional butterflies!!! the srt8 charger says functional hood scoop on the sticker too. oh well. should be fun seeing all the aftermarket ideas/products!!
Old 04-07-2008, 07:49 AM

That quarter mile time can not be right. Can It?
Old 04-07-2008, 07:59 AM

ORIGINAL: jh27n0b

That quarter mile time can not be right. Can It?
No... they obviously mixed up the 1/4 mile and 0-100-0 times.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah 29:11

Well in that one picture it did look like an umbrella handle.
I know, I'm saying that (or in this case typing that) with a grin. I like that analogy as it makes me laugh.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 04-08-2008, 01:26 PM

ORIGINAL: RLSH700

I'm with you on the manual w/ a pistol grip. Also looking forward to the B5 blue-- that color is so hot!

Quick Reply: Chrysler flexes a bit more muscle