Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

Chrysler unleashes Dodge Challenger into an uncertain market

Old 05-08-2008, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrysler unleashes Dodge Challenger into an uncertain market

Chrysler unleashes Dodge Challenger into an uncertain market
Thursday May 8, 4:05 pm ET
By Dee-Ann Durbin, AP Auto Writer
Chrysler releases Dodge Challenger muscle car into market challenged by gas prices

BRAMPTON, Ontario (AP) -- The 2008 Dodge Challenger began rolling off the assembly line Thursday into an uncertain market that could embrace the nostalgic muscle car or reject it for its gas-guzzling excess.
ADVERTISEMENT

Chrysler LLC celebrated the launch at its 2.95 million square foot Brampton Assembly Plant, where the Challenger shares the assembly line with the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger sedans.

Chrysler has already sold all 6,400 of the 2008 Challengers it plans to make for the U.S. market as well as several hundred for buyers in Mexico and Canada. Spokeswoman Kristin Tyll said Chrysler will begin taking orders for the 2009 Challenger in the next few weeks.

"From my perspective, it's the ultimate halo vehicle," said Reid Bigland, president and chief executive of Chrysler's Canadian operations. "The attention this product gets is like nothing I've ever seen."

But even Bigland says it's hard to predict how long that demand will last. It's a difficult time to be launching a $40,000 car with the fuel economy of a large sport utility vehicle. U.S. auto sales were down 8 percent in the first four months of the year as the weak U.S. economy took a toll on consumer confidence.

At the same time, gas prices reached a record high of $3.62 per gallon last week and could climb to a national average of $4 per gallon in the coming weeks. The 2008 Challenger gets 13 miles per gallon in the city and 18 on the highway, the same as Chrysler's largest SUV, the Dodge Durango.

Alexander Edwards, who heads the automotive division of the San Diego-based Strategic Vision consulting group, said most potential buyers want the Challenger for its performance and don't consider it a commuter vehicle, so gas prices shouldn't affect sales. But sales could be dampened because of the economy, as potential buyers juggle mortgage payments and the tougher credit environment.

"Now is not the right time to put it out, but now is not the wrong time. This is the market Chrysler has to deal with," said

The Challenger could also cement Chrysler's reputation as one of the most gas-hungry automakers. Chrysler relies on trucks and SUVs for 70 percent of its U.S. sales, compared to 41 percent at Toyota Motor Corp. and 58 percent at General Motors Corp. Sales of those larger vehicles have been plummeting this year and Chrysler's fortunes with them; Chrysler's U.S. sales were down 18 percent in the first four months of this year, a decline matched only by Mitsubishi Motors Corp.

"They're not exactly well-positioned for the current market," said Jack Nerad, executive market analyst for Irvine, Calif.-based Kelley Blue Book.

Chrysler tried to temper that image this week by offering buyers a new incentive that caps the price of gas at $2.99 per gallon for three years. But the Challenger isn't eligible for that program.

Chrysler officials point out that they'll have a more fuel-efficient option in the 2009 Challenger lineup. The 2009 SE has a 3.5-liter V-6 with 250 horsepower, compared to the 6.1-liter HEMI V-8 with 425 horsepower that comes standard in the 2008 Challenger SRT8. While Chrysler hasn't released fuel economy figures for its 2009 models, the new option would be comparable to the Dodge Charger sedan, which gets around 20 miles per gallon.

But Mike Wademan, a 22-year Chrysler employee who works at the Brampton plant, said he doesn't think gas prices will affect sales.

"The people who buy these cars aren't really worried about the price of gas," he said. Wademan said employees hope demand will be so high that the plant will add a third shift.

Frank Ewasyshyn, Chrysler's vice president of manufacturing, wouldn't say how many 2009 Challengers the company hopes to se
Old 05-08-2008, 01:14 PM

Default RE: Chrysler unleashes Dodge Challenger into an uncertain market

They sure tried hard to put a negative spin on it! I wish all my products had as "uncertain" of a market as the Challenger! I'd become rich in no time flat! What a dumbass.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:28 PM

Yea, but by no stretch of the imagination is this car going to save Chrysler and it's life will be over in no more then 5 years.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:37 PM

So what I get is they are running on two shifts thats 912 cars a day say 50% are challengers that would be 456 a day = 14 days to make all 6400 .. question do they work seven days a week? that would put all built by may 22 , sounds good?
Old 05-08-2008, 01:43 PM

ORIGINAL: jh27_1970

So what I get is they are running on two shifts thats 912 cars a day say 50% are challengers that would be 456 a day = 14 days to make all 6400 .. question do they work seven days a week? that would put all built by may 22 , sounds good?
Old 05-09-2008, 03:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW that bogels my mind. They can flat put some cars out. Like a marathon runner, pace yourself... pace yourself. AND BUILD MINE RIGHT! Don't get in a big hurry and slap it together Take your time boys and girls it will be a few months before I'm ready to buy.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:58 AM

no it wont save chrysler but it will help chrysler go out with a bang
Old 05-13-2008, 04:32 AM

ORIGINAL: lear4406
... pace yourself... pace yourself. AND BUILD MINE RIGHT! Don't get in a big hurry and slap it together Take your time boys and girls it will be a few months before I'm ready to buy.
It sounds like they're listening...

ORIGINAL: JJMPB
no it wont save chrysler but it will help chrysler go out with a bang
Or at least a snarl and a growl...
Old 05-13-2008, 07:25 AM

well this muscle car era is gonna come and go pretty quick to just like in the late 60's early 70's Chrysler will take one last shot before it ends for good
Old 05-13-2008, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

Someone needs to give this guy a history lesson on Chrysler, it is generally when Chrysler makes models that are "uncertain" that they succeed. The minivan was uncertain and that has been their bread and butter for years, the LH cars were considered to be uncertain as their past attempts were not very successful at FWD full-sized. The PT Cruiser was uncertain and it sold. The LX cars were uncertain and they have turned out fine. Another thing that they need to get into their heads is the SRT-8 is a limited production model that is going to sell to people who frankly aren't going to care as much about the fuel economy as it will be a weekend car. The other issue in the equation is they have underminded their own point by pointing out that Mitsubishi is also struggling as they don't have a full-sized truck and do not depend as heavily on large SUVs either. There is more to the issue than they realize.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts