Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

Comparison: 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8 vs. 2008 Ford Shelby GT500

Old 05-02-2008, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comparison: 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8 vs. 2008 Ford Shelby GT500

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...d_shelby_gt500

Yet another comparison....

More pages on link....

Comparison: 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8 vs. 2008 Ford Shelby GT500
Time Travelers: Nixon may not be in the White House, but among the Big Three it's 1970 all over again.

By Arthur St. Antoine
Photography by Wesley Allison

Something's wrong. Parked outside is a brand-new Dodge Challenger. Next to it, a freshly baked Ford Shelby GT500. Yet nowhere in the CBS television lineup can I find a listing for that funny new series "The Mary Tyler Moore Show." Also, what's with all this gray hair? I'm only nine years old.

Quick check of the morning newspaper: A-ha! It's 2008, not 1970. Those two muscle machines outside sure confused the issue. Hey! Who ate my Space Food Sticks?

Viva the American retro-car revolution. Three years ago, Ford struck first with its late-1960s-inspired gen-five Mustang and still had the segment all to itself when it released the reincarnated, high-output Shelby GT500 version for 2007. But Ford's solitary rule of the musclecar time machine is over. In six months, the Mustang's most feared rival, the Chevrolet Camaro, will return after seven years of reclusion in a suite high atop a Radisson near Warren, Michigan. Not that the assault against the Mustang's dominion will take even that long to commence: A third time traveler, Dodge's hotly awaited Challenger coupe, has already charged into the fray.

It was two years ago (MT, August 2006) that we drove the one-of-a-kind concept car that led to the production Challenger you see here. While the concept was a handbuilt showpiece, not sorted for road-testing, the essentials were in place: 6.1-liter Hemi V-8, bulging wheels and tires, an updated interpretation of that unmistakable 1970 shape made iconic by the 1971 cult-hit movie "Vanishing Point." The faithful nodded their collective heads in admiration of Dodge's show-car handiwork, but almost immediately the rumblings began. "You gotta consider the Michael Jackson factor," said many. "The next time we see it, how much of that stuff will have fallen off?"

Fear not, Mopar mavens: Despite every exterior surface being different, the production Challenger is a near-clone of the fervor-building show star, sporting necessary alterations that do little to diminish the shape's impact. The production version's most significant edit is a three-inch trim in width-a revision you'd notice only if you happen to have the concept car handy for comparison. Whereas the concept's bodywork tucked in dramatically at its lower edges (a feature designers admitted early on would never make it to showrooms), the production car wears a thick black band along the bottom of the body, an addition that both simplifies metal shaping and visually reduces the perceived thickness of the car's flanks. The famed four-headlamp "bandit" grille, borrowed straight from 1970, remains, though Dodge admits to considerable wind-tunnel work and changes to the hood's overhang needed to reduce lift (a new black rear spoiler also appears to reduce rear lift). A thicker B-pillar enhances roof strength, clever design work has retained the "full-width" look of the taillamps, and a new, chrome fuel-filler flap adds exterior drama. Gone is all costly carbon fiber; the production car is crafted in steel.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:57 AM

Default RE: Comparison: 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8 vs. 2008 Ford Shelby GT500

OK, I know the haters will come out on this one but, that Shelby interior makes the Challenger interior look second class.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:25 PM

i agree completely paladin im no hater on the interior but i am a hater on the 10-15k more you pay for the shelby def not a 15k interior
Old 05-02-2008, 12:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like this comparison better than the Bullit duel. The Challenger came up short in the 0-60 and 1/4... but in braking and overall appeal it was a home run. Again I state that Ford has to supercharge their engines to make power and Dodge has just upgraded the Hemi and tweeks it. NA baby and if it suits you aftermarket superchrger puts the Challenger into its own league. I like the interview with Barry Newman and his take on the new challengers. Nice to see he still has what it takes to muscle a Challenger down the road... I was just hoping he did'nt see any blue lights behind him. Hes got a bad habit of fleeing and evading
Old 05-02-2008, 09:31 PM

This qoute says it all

Kudos, Dodge, but remember: Don't spare the sizzle for 2009. Retro Round Two, Challenger versus Camaro, will be here before you can say "time warp."

1st Place
Dodge Challenger SRT8
Broad-shouldered good looks, thundering Hemi power, and savvy chassis tuning land Dodge's new old-school muscle machine out front.

[sm=gears.gif]

2nd Place
Ford Shelby GT500

Still an eye-catcher, and sensationally fast, but archaic chassis and whiney motor weaken its bid for numero uno.

heres the vid:
http://www.motortrend.com/av/roadtes...y_gt500_video/

at the 40 sec mark, listen to what the guy says about the interiors!
Old 05-03-2008, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Paladin06

OK, I know the haters will come out on this one but, that Shelby interior makes the Challenger interior look second class.
I completely disagree and so does MT. The interior is much better than you give it credit for.

The Challenger might be a bit slower in acceleration; however, it certainly provides a better bang for your buck in this category. Isn't it ironic though, this is the first time that the GT500 managed to hit anything below 4.5 secs and now it bascially has the same 0-60 time as the KR version and leaves just a .5 sec difference in the 1/4 mile time to justify the $35K difference.

It will be fun to see how the added manual will effect this comparison.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 05-05-2008, 10:22 AM

With the 2009 SRT-8 6-speeds arriving soon, they should prove to be quicker to 60 mph and 1/4 mile times. I think 4.5s are possible and think 12.80s in the quarter stock will be seen by really good drivers on good days. And all this without the aid of a supercharger. Will they outrun the GT-500? I don't know, but they will make it a better race. We will settle who is best when they hit the streets. I won't be stock so thats that. But it will surely look stock.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: lear4406

With the 2009 SRT-8 6-speeds arriving soon, they should prove to be quicker to 60 mph and 1/4 mile times. I think 4.5s are possible and think 12.80s in the quarter stock will be seen by really good drivers on good days. And all this without the aid of a supercharger. Will they outrun the GT-500? I don't know, but they will make it a better race. We will settle who is best when they hit the streets. I won't be stock so thats that. But it will surely look stock.
I think it is possible considering the greater efficiency found with a manual as well as the closer gearing on the early gear ratios and overall shorter gearing, but I doubt that it will be able to out accelerate the GT500, I think it will at best match it, but the way I see it the Challenger will outrun it as the top speed is not limited. Granted the GT500 can have the limiter issue resolved; however, the cars compared from the factory with no modifications whatsoever, the Challenger has a higher top speed and would locally outrun the GT500 on a straight track.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 05-07-2008, 03:28 AM

Right you are there and the Challenger does a few other thing better too. Ride quality and braking come to mind. also for the money and appeal I'd go with the SRT-8. Nothing against the GT-500, its a nice car no doubt and if I saw one on the streets I'd give him or her a big thumbs up