Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

Dec. 22 letter from Bob Nardelli to Chrysler employees

Old 12-23-2008, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dec. 22 letter from Bob Nardelli to Chrysler employees

ORIGINAL: epegasus

You make some really good point but that Charger concept is definitely not similar to the Challenger accept they both would be in the sport coupe category. IMHO, being a little crowded in that category is a GREAT thing. Sort of like BMW having a smallish sport coupe in the 3 series and a big body in the 5 series. It would be awesome for them to develop a smaller platform (or at least a lighter weight one) for the Challenger and leave the present sized platform for the Charger concept.
No it won't be a great thing. The problem is the coupe market isn't as big as it used to be. When you make too many redundant models, you flood the market and neither one becomes profitable. Why do you think that Jeep has decided to stop production of the Commander? After a while it is likely that something similar will happen to the Compass. GM has learned this the hard way and has had to adjust accordingly by consolidating the Grand Prix, GTO, and Bonneville by the G8, consolidating the LeSabre and Park Avenue by the Lucerne, consolidating the DTS and STS by their replacement, etc. and those models were at least on different platforms. The powertrain would be the same, the weight would be similar, the styling although it isn't the same is still too similar. Take a look at the upper grille, it and the Challenger look similar. The rear also looks similar. The interior would more than likely look similar. It wouldn't work. Moving the Challenger in the middle of production would be a costly and potentially dangerous move, and if they did, you could likely kiss the 6.1L or rumored 6.4L goodbye, and possibly more than just that as they would give that to the larger Charger if they did what you proposed. This isn't the 60s & earily 70s, they have to compete in the market that exists, not the market we wish existed.

Besides this, Chrysler needs to focus what money they have on hand on the models they are lacking and they already have the muscle car gap filled. They need a Neon replacement, they need a competitive mid-sized offering, they need to have a full-sized sedan update or replacement first before they make another coupe.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 12-23-2008, 04:02 PM

I'm not sure how far they can go with the boxy design of the charger and 300c if it's staying on the same platform. I would say they need to find a way to lose weight and shrink down the 300 and charger to get it closer to competing with the midsized cars from toyota and honda. The sebring and avenger have absolutely no shot without a ton of money injected in to them which chrysler doesn't have.

Just because they get rid of the boxyness doesn't mean it has to be less aggressive.

Old 12-26-2008, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Justinec101

I'm not sure how far they can go with the boxy design of the charger and 300c if it's staying on the same platform. I would say they need to find a way to lose weight and shrink down the 300 and charger to get it closer to competing with the midsized cars from toyota and honda. The sebring and avenger have absolutely no shot without a ton of money injected in to them which chrysler doesn't have.
The Charger and 300 are not supposed to compete against the Camry and Accord, they are supposed to compete against the Avalon and Maxima (and in all truth the 300 should compete against offerings from Lexus, Infiniti, and Cadillac). I'm not sure if this is a practical solution or not in the cost category, but I would think it would be far easier to revive the JR platform and update that than to fix all the problems with the JS cars. The JS cars feel like a compact that are trying to be a mid-sized car while being as heavy as a large car. The JR formula was far more competitive and easier to fix. The trunk size was decent, the weight was reasonable, the safety was reasonable, and the styling was non-controversial. If they were to carry over the new I4 combined with the 6-speed automatic, offer a GDI version for the SXT instead of the 2.7L as it would be about as powerful and more fuel efficient, have the full powered EGK version of the 3.5L, get the brakes from one of the better models, look to the LH cars for interior inspiration (as they had much better ideas in those cars than Chrysler had in the cloud cars or these current ones), look towards more aerodynamic cars like the Stealth, 1st gen Viper, or original avenger for styling cues to distinguish it from the Charger for a different audience for the Dodge and look towards the Vision/300M for the Sebring for inspiration.

The thing you have to remember is that the larger cars generally sell better anyhow for the Big Three (or at least in the case of Chrysler and GM). It would be a bad idea to abandon a formula that works and lose more customers. The LX cars need to go on a diet without a doubt; however, the way to do it isn't by making the car smaller.

Just because they get rid of the boxyness doesn't mean it has to be less aggressive.

Precisely, honestly I think the 1999 Charger concept is more aggressive than the 06-current Charger. I've read that this might have actually been on the same platform as the current Charger. Also it is important to remember that not all K cars were boxes on wheels. The later Daytonas looked quite similar to their replacement the original Avengers. A platform is more flexible than you might think. I love the looks of the 300M, but I would prefer to see that on a car like the Sebring and give the 300 series a more traditional luxury car look. I just don't like the idea of the 300 having a base model level that prevents it from being considered a luxury car.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts