Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

Dodge Challenger for 2007: Is that Led Zeppelin I hear?

Old 11-27-2006, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge Challenger for 2007: Is that Led Zeppelin I hear?

This is just my opinion but there used to be a need for unions but that was when there was lack of labor law to protect employees. Because of our global economy
we need to get rid of this once needed organization. I hope I didn't step on anybodies toes, but the reality is get rid of the union or be without a job. Look at our steel industry
history.

Dodge Challenger for 2007: Is that Led Zeppelin I hear?

Posted Nov 27th 2006 11:19AM
by Gary E. Sattler

I just got back from another round of cyber car shopping, which is the only way I can afford to shop for cars right now, and there's something I think you should know about. The Dodge division of DaimlerChrysler AG (NYSECX) has pulled out all the stops for 2007. When I got a look at the 2007 Dodge Challenger, I just about fell off my chair. It seems that the design crew over there got the message that I want to see some retro car designs. Well friends, they sure did it in top shelf style!

The 2007 Dodge Challenger is a high temp, true-to-style muscle car. This puppy IS your daddy's Mopar. Fully streamlined to meet today's air flow standards, the designers took the classic "E-line" highback rear quarter and blended it forward through to the recessed grille flanked by quad round headlights. Oh baby, round headlights, I must be in heaven! Then, as if that wasn't enough, they nicely added dual ram air ports on the hood. I can only hope that those hoodscoops are functional and that they'll make it onto the final production models.

Now, understand that the pictures Dodge gives you of the Challenger on their website are of the concept car. But if history serves as pattern, the production model, which was just green-lighted for production, will be close to the concept model. I keep flipping back to those pictures as I am writing this piece. Honestly people, this car is a treat for the eyes.

Flanked by such quality offerings as Stratus, Charger, Nitro and Ram, the Challenger will fill a sweet spot in Dodge's current lineup. I was unable to ascertain the exact price range but I'll guess that Challenger is going to slip into the $30,000 range. That's only a guess, and I'm hoping it's a bit high.

All the big analysts are saying that American car manufacturers are out of the running when it comes to market share. I don't see it that way. Yes, times are tough in the auto industry here in the states but it's not because of a lack of quality, innovation or design. If we don't want to see further degradation in the American auto industry and its labor force, it's going to come down to one simple issue. To be blunt, the labor unions had better get their heads out of their, umm, tailpipes and return profitability to the domestic auto manufacturers or frankly, those unions will soon be on the outside looking in and their rank and file members will be wondering what happened.

But that's just my opinion.

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:19 PM

Default RE: Dodge Challenger for 2007: Is that Led Zeppelin I hear?

I agree with that unions have (in 1st world economies) outlived their usefulness in most industries. They are not the main problem in my estimation though. Look at Ford...they have significant operations in Mexico which I am certain relieve them of many issues that unions rally behind. Foreign manufacturers have simply produced interesting, innovative, and well built cars and the Big Three react too slowly. I think that DCX is ahead of Ford & GM certainly. They are poised with a new & very marketable lineup of cars. They also are part of an engineering icon in Mercedes which helps position them in markets other than the U.S. My wife & I went to Europe earlier this year and we saw a lot of Audi, BMW, Mercedes, and the like...basically zero U.S. badges in these countries. I do realize that trade tariffs are not equal and the U.S. market is much more open than these foreign countries but in general there is very little attempt to pursue business outside the U.S. by our domestic automakers. My point is there are multiple significant issues including unions that make it hard for our U.S. companies.

Old 11-27-2006, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

I totally agree, as they are many variables including the ones you pointed out. I was just trying to show that I agree with the article regarding unions.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

How dare you criticize the almight unions! They are as American as the Mafia that runs them!

Just kidding! I completely agree. These people are chocking the car companies to death. I'm really against unions because I have seen what happens when you have them. They killed the coal mines in my hometown with the help of the environmentalist politicans who were funded by the unions. They killed the printing plant in my hometown because they just didn't think they had enough money yet when they were getting a comparable salary to a non-profit accountant for a position that didn't require a college education. They are currently killing a manufacturing plant that makes parts for the auto manufactures.

The construction unions are raising the underworld because a hotel is being built by non-union employees. The thing that amazes me is if they expect businesses and simple people to pay inflated prices while their work quality is half as good as the non-union ones and they almost take twice as long to do it. In my area, they have been known to vandalize people's houses if they have any work done by a non-union operation.

In the schools, they create a terrible staff of lazy teachers who can get by with a lot of things they shouldn't just because they have tenure.

Unions might have had their purpose a long time ago, but now they are in the way.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 11-29-2006, 11:18 PM

I worked with a guy that used to be a meat-cutter in Iowa and they are unionized. He said there were so many members that could only count to three using their fingers that the union helps enforce some safety policy. That might be one place where I let 'em slide. Otherwise, I agree they are simply extortionists. I work in Telecom and the CWA has major power. You even talk to a union guy sideways and they can file a grievance.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

Okay in the case of safety policy I will make an acception. Having safe working conditions is reasonable.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts