Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

Dodge Challenger going for $20K over sticker

Old 12-06-2007, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge Challenger going for $20K over sticker

A Mustang GT500KR will be out at the same time as the Challenger. Pony wars ride again.

Dodge Challenger going for $20K over sticker

The new performance car won't be revealed for two months, but buyers are already lining up.
By Peter Valdes-Dapena, CNNMoney.com staff writer
December 6 2007: 12:12 PM EST
NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- It's no surprise that Dodge has an apparent hit on its hands with the 2008 Challenger, an update on the classic muscle car from the early 1970s.

What may be surprising is that some buyers are lining up to pay as much as $20,000 over the $40,000 sticker price for the earliest top-of-the-line production cars.

The Challenger has only been shown as a concept car. The actual production car won't be revealed until the Chicago Auto Show on Feb. 6. The cars are slated to go on sale next spring.

But Chrysler, which makes Dodge cars, announced pricing last month for the high-performance SRT8 version of the car and allowed dealers to begin taking orders on Dec. 3.

The manufacturer's suggested retail price for the 2008 Challenger SRT8 is $37,995, not including an expected gas guzzler tax that could add more than $2,000.

The coupes will be powered by a 6.1-liter V8 engine capable of producing about 425 horsepower. The 2008 SRT8 version will be produced as a "limited edition" series with each car getting a numbered dashboard plaque.

Other lower-priced models with smaller engines will be produced later.

The company originally said that about 4,500 Challenger SRT8s would be produced for the 2008 model year, but more than 6,000 already have been ordered. The company may increase production to meet additional demand, Chrysler spokeswoman Kathy Graham said.

The initial run of 2008 Challenger SRT8s will be offered in only three colors: Hemi Orange, Brilliant Black and Bright Silver, said Graham. So far, more than half of the orders have requested Hemi Orange.

A few individuals and dealers have listed pre-ordered Challengers on eBayMotors.com, with bids taken in terms of how much over the suggested retail price buyers are willing to pay. Winning bidders are being asked to put down deposits of as much as $10,000.

One auction has already ended with a bidder agreeing to pay $20,000 over the sticker price. Another auction is now at that price and could go higher before it ends Friday.

Chrysler will only accept Challenger orders from dealers with a customer name and address. Ordinarily, car companies will allocate cars to dealers without requiring an actual customer order.

Last year, Ford Motor Co (Charts, Fortune 500). experienced a similar reception when it introduced Shelby GT500, a version of the popular Ford Mustang with a supercharged 500-horsepower engine under its bulging hood.

As with the Challenger, bidders on eBayMotors.com agreed to pay $20,000 over the car's sticker price of about $44,000.

Even now, buyers still typically pay about $16,000 over the sticker price for that car, and slightly more than that for the convertible, according to Kelley Blue Book. Ford produces about 8,000 Shelby GT500s a year.

Ford charges dealers about $40,000 for each Shelby GT500. Any additional profit from customers goes to the dealership, not to Ford. Since dealers are independently owned and operated companies, they can't be forced to honor a manufacturer's suggested price.

Ford has not raised the sticker price of the car, in part because its low retail price is part of the car's mystique, said Ford spokeswoman Whitney Drake.

Also, increasing the sticker price might only raise the ultimate cost to customers even more, she said.

"There's nothing to say that if we did raise the MSRP, the dealers wouldn't still charge more," Drake said.

[b]A more powerful Shelby Mustang, the 540-horsepower GT500KR, will roll into dealerships about the same time the Challenger SRT8 goes on the market
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Dodge Challenger going for $20K over sticker

Hence the reason why patience is such a valuable thing to have in life.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 12-07-2007, 10:06 AM

As a reminder the Shelby GT500 is STILL going for $16K over sticker (according to the article)! And they've been on the roads since fall 2006...

Even now, buyers still typically pay about $16,000 over the sticker price for that car, and slightly more than that for the convertible, according to Kelley Blue Book. Ford produces about 8,000 Shelby GT500s a year.

ORIGINAL: RLSH700

Hence the reason why patience is such a valuable thing to have in life.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:46 AM

It wouldn't bother me to much to pay over MSRP IF the options I would like would be avalable and I could get the car as I would like to have it. I payed over MSRP on the 04 GTO I had and later spent lots of money for upgrading with the opptions that came out later that year. This time around I wait.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:10 PM

Here's the worst I've seen so far, an eBay ad with a BIN price of $66,985... [>:]

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 12-07-2007, 07:01 PM

Zero bids so far.