Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

Dodge Challenger - it's not a remake, it's homage

Old 02-12-2008, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge Challenger - it's not a remake, it's homage

I am glad to see they did extensive aerodynamic testing.

Dodge Challenger - it's not a remake, it's homage

It's a new take on a muscle car legend - but Kiwis won't be hanging their fluffy dice on the Dodge Challenger SRT8.

9:19AM Wednesday February 13, 2008
By Alastair Sloane

Chrysler's new-old baby has arrived - just don't look for it on our roads.

The company wants to double sales outside North America over the next five years - but it has made it clear that its new Dodge Challenger won't contribute to export growth.

"The all-new Dodge Challenger SRT8 is not available to markets outside North America," the car-maker said at the launch of the two-door muscle car - the 2008 version of the 1969 original - at the Chicago motor show.

Frank Klegon, Chrysler's product development boss, said production would be kept under 100,000, a number that rules out right-hand-drive development.

The Australian/NZ arm of Chrysler pushed hard for a right-hooker. Brad Fitzsimmons, sales general manager across the Tasman, said: "We will be putting our hand up for the Challenger. Chrysler is famous for two-door muscle cars in Australia with the success of the Charger in the seventies, and we would love to add the Dodge Challenger to the line-up."

That was last year, when Challenger production got the go-ahead after a 35-year hiatus. Now Chrysler in Australia and NZ will have to settle for mainstream products, one of which, the Dodge Journey crossover, is now under evaluation.

About 9 per cent of the 2,076,650 vehicles Chrysler built last year were exported to left- and right-hand-drive markets. It wants exports to account for around 18 per cent of production by 2013.

But, for the moment, it is talking up the rear-drive Challenger, the star of the Chicago show. Bob Nardelli, the chief executive of Chrysler, thinks the new Challenger has the potential to draw buyers into Dodge showrooms and boost sales of the car-maker's other vehicles.

"It couldn't come at a better time in our business cycle," said Nardelli. He thinks buyers who haven't been in a Dodge showroom in years will take a new look at Dodge vehicles.

"It says a lot about Dodge and it will help attract new customers and old ones, too."

Chrysler will begin selling the 1970s-style coupe in the US in April, starting at US$37,995 ($48,250). It is powered by a 6.1-litre Hemi V8 engine producing 320kW (425bhp) and 560Nm of torque. Chrysler also plans to build a six-cylinder base model.

Jim Press, Chrysler vice-chairman and co-president, said the V8 Challenger sprints from zero to 100km/h in 4.9 seconds and has a top speed of 275km/h. Its Brembo disc brakes will bring the car to a stop from 100km/h in 33.5m.

The Challenger SRT8 comes in three colours: Hemi orange, bright silver metallic and brilliant black crystal pearl coat. Each two-door, rear-wheel-drive coupe will be produced with a numbered dash plaque and carbon fibre-like hood stripes.

The Dodge Challenger features the long hood, short deck, wide stance and two-door coupe body style that distinguished the iconic Challengers of the 1970s.

"Our designers wanted to capture the mind's-eye-view of what people today remember about the Challenger from 35 years ago," said Trevor Creed, vice-president of Chrysler design.

"So their challenge was to excite today's customer by capturing the emotion of the original Challenger, but with today's quality and performance."

The Challenger's full-width grille and fog lamps are reminiscent of the original Challenger. The bonnet's raised centre, carbon fibre-like stripes and functional dual scoops stay true to the Challenger heritage, as does the A-line and beltline.

The front end incorporates numerous functional design features. Included are a fascia that directs air around the front of the vehicle, dual snorkel hood scoops that bring cooling air into th
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:56 PM

Default RE: Dodge Challenger - it's not a remake, it's homage

"Frank Klegon, Chrysler's product development boss, said production would be kept under 100,000"

I'm confused. So at 30k cars a year are they just going to stop production of challengers after 3 years? Or are they saying they won't produce more than 100,000 a year (which seems like a given)
Old 02-13-2008, 01:54 PM

Probably 100,000 a year. Somehow, I have the feeling that if every year for the next 70 or 80 years, Dodge received orders for 99,999 Challengers, 99,999 Challengers would be produced.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:17 PM

They will do anything for money.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:27 AM

Except to put a 6-spd in the 2008 SRT8... Wonder how many people did not order one just because of that one, single factor.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

Glad they didn't! That would have set me up for a more likely gouging. I would have VERY been tempted and the Mrs. has been on board since I showed her the concept.

Old 02-14-2008, 03:29 PM

Didn't think about that DamnSkippy, that would really suck if they gouged the price because of the 6-speed.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:03 PM

I am glad to see they did extensive aerodynamic testing.
I noticed that as well, nearly every article I've read talked about the aerodynamic testing done for the challenger, in some way or fashion.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

I was really worried about the aerodynamics because of my previous exposure to my old Challenger and with the new one being so retro I was wondering if they were going to tackle that issue. I am glad to see that they did.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:19 AM
Super Moderator

Wow, no DK challenger, that's not what I was getting at, and MAN, I hope they don't pull that kind of silliness. Of course, if Chrysler pulls some sort of "limited production thing in the beginning" stunt that may create a limited commodity dynamic.

No, I was implying, I may have been tempted to pull the trigger in the now-ish, to Thanksgiving time of last year, and paid the 08 premium. The fact they didn't offer what I HAD to have kept me from even entertaining the doling out of extry profits to the dealers.

Another nice thing about waiting 'til mid 09, though, is we'll actually get to see what the colors on these vehicles look like out in the wild. Not as imaged on the web, seen in professional photo shoots, etc.

Quick Reply: Dodge Challenger - it's not a remake, it's homage