Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

Dodge Challenger model lineup offers something for everyone- even a manual gearbox!

Old 03-30-2008, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge Challenger model lineup offers something for everyone- even a manual gearbox!

I hope it has a good security system, as I am sure it will need one.

March 29, 2008

Dodge Challenger model lineup offers something for everyone- even a manual gearbox!
by Auto123.com,

You can almost hear the muscle-car guys cringing at the thought of a V6 engine up in Dodge's new Challenger coupe. Well gentlemen, the Camaro, Mustang and Firebird all came with V6 power to help them appeal to a wider audience- and for 2009, Dodge's latest coupe will do the same.

Yesterday, the automaker announced further details on their Challenger lineup. Later this year, the muscle-coupe will be offered as a 2009 model in four different trim levels: SE, SXT, RT and SRT8.

SE models are powered by the automakers 3.5 liter V6 with 250 horsepower and 250 lb.-ft of torque. Power is sent out back by a four-speed automatic transmission. Stepping up to the SXT model adds 18-inch aluminum wheels, traction control, a leather-wrapped steering wheel and fog-lamps. A security alarm and power-adjustable driver's seat are also included.

The RT designated model is motivated by a new generation 5.7 liter HEMI V8 that's been tuned for 370 horsepower and increased fuel mileage in the range of about 5 percent. A five-speed automatic transmission is available, though performance buffs will rejoice at the availability of a new six-speed manual transmission. Dodge says that when fitted with this gearbox, Challenger will be deliver a slight boost in horsepower when running on premium fuel. The manual transmission features hill-start assist to help keep the vehicle in place when taking off from a standstill on an incline.

Other available high-tech features include the MyGig infotainment system, UConnect hands-free phone system and a keyless access system that frees drivers of having to handle the key-fob, as long as it's in their pocket. Challenger will be built in Brampton, Ontario alongside the Charger and 300.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:07 PM

Default RE: Dodge Challenger model lineup offers something for everyone- even a manual gearbox!

Wait do the R/Ts require premium? Or do you just get a boost if you do use it?
Old 03-30-2008, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Dodge Challenger model lineup offers something for everyone- even a manual gearbox!

I always thought that cars w/ high compression ratios required high octane to avoid detonation. Octane doesn't have any more power in it right? It just is less flammable, so it can resist detonation under higher compression and thus allow for longer power stroke w/ more force (because of the higher compression).

Is this not true?

So, if this is true, you wouldn't be able to derive more power out of higher octane fuel just because it is higher octane. I thought the high octane kept high compression engines from detonating and causing knocks and pings? Yes?

Old 03-30-2008, 05:38 PM

ORIGINAL: Justinec101

Wait do the R/Ts require premium? Or do you just get a boost if you do use it?
I believe the info from Dodge read that the R/T with the refreshed engine (370/375 HP) requires 87 octane, but prefers 89. That's blended gas - not high test and not regular.
Only the SRT requires 91 octane. Odd since the compression ratio is actually lower than the R/T on the 2009 engines.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:44 PM

ORIGINAL: DamnSkippy

I always thought that cars w/ high compression ratios required high octane to avoid detonation. Octane doesn't have any more power in it right? It just is less flammable, so it can resist detonation under higher compression and thus allow for longer power stroke w/ more force (because of the higher compression).

Is this not true?

So, if this is true, you wouldn't be able to derive more power out of higher octane fuel just because it is higher octane. I thought the high octane kept high compression engines from detonating and causing knocks and pings? Yes?
That's what I was taught as well.
When I raced at the strip, I always stopped at the only station in the area that sold high octane gas (110) - what they now call racing fuel. I don't think it helped make any more power, but it sure didn't hurt.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, I remember a Texaco in Mechanicsville (just north of Richmond, Va) had (as advertised at least) aviator fuel. Gasoline along the lines of 110 octane as well. The interesting thing is there was a warning on it that said it would burn out Catalytic converters. Probably, passes a lot of unburned fuel through the exhaust...since it is much less prone to burn at high compressions, etc.

Counterintuitive, that's for sure.

Old 03-30-2008, 06:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not 100% sure on this, but it has a knock sensor on it and it will count knocks and retard the timing. Higher octane fuel... no knocks. Lower octane and it will knock and thus take timing away. I'm sure there are some mechanical minded guys who can give us some insight on this subject. In the 70s we would retard the timing and run lower grades of fuel. The computor does it for you here.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:42 AM

I think that is correct about the senosor. Most modern cars have a knock sensor, and until it detects premature detonation (knock), the computer will run as much timing advance as it can up to whatever is the optimum tune that they programmed. I know that's what my 93 BMW does. Generally there is no advantage to higher octane if you do not have the compression or timing advance to exploit it, so unless you are making modifications, I'd always run the recommended octane. In a pinch you can run lower, but if you bought a Challenger, man up and pay the extra 10 cents per gallon to get the most out of it.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:28 AM

On the issue of fuel, when I bought my 2000 Mustang with its powerful V-6, the salesman said NOT to use more than regular grade fuel because anything more would screw up the platinum-tipped sparkplugs. Wouldn't a modern, high-performance engine like R/T has ALSO use platinum-tipped sparkplugs? Hence, wouldn't anything other than regular grade gas screw them up too?
Old 03-31-2008, 12:07 PM

I wouldn't be to worried about the octane, plug mixture to much I ran bosch platinum +4's with 93 octane in my old car all the time, and never had any problems with the plugs or detonation. I myself am wondering what the gearing ratio in the 6 speed manual will be.

Quick Reply: Dodge Challenger model lineup offers something for everyone- even a manual gearbox!