Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

The Dodge Challenger's Days May Be Numbered: Report

Old 01-10-2012, 04:47 AM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Dodge Challenger's Days May Be Numbered: Report

The Dodge Challenger's Days May Be Numbered: Report

By Kurt Ernst

4 789 views January 9, 2012

Dodge Challenger SRT8 392 "Yellow Jacket"
When it comes to the current crop of pony cars, the Dodge Challenger is the largest of the three.

In fact, the current Challenger is so big that it’s an uncommon sight at high performance track days, unlike both the current Ford Mustang and Chevy Camaro.

While the Challenger was always the biggest of the three, the current car’s size may prove to be its undoing.

Automakers will soon need to pay careful attention to fleet fuel economy, and offering both the plus-size Dodge Charger and the XXL Dodge Challenger may have too much of a negative impact on the brand’s CAFE average.

Motor Trend
is reporting that the Challenger may be on its way out,
to be replaced by a new car called the Barracuda. The new Barracuda (again re-using a legendary Chrysler nameplate, previously from Plymouth) is said to be significantly smaller and lighter than the current Challenger, and won’t be built on the Charger’s LY platform.

As speculative as the report is, it makes sense that Chrysler would look to downsize the current Challenger and turn it from a grand-touring coupe into a legitimate sports car. Such a move would benefit Alfa Romeo, too, giving it a mid-size, rear-drive platform to work with.

If the rumors are correct, the new Barracuda would hit dealer showrooms for the 2014 model year. That’s also about when the next (50th anniversary) Mustang is due, and about when the next Camaro should makes its debut as well.

We like the Challenger well enough (especially in SRT8 trim), but would also welcome a legitimate, affordable sports coupe, slotted into Dodge's lineup below the new Viper. We’ll be sure to keep you posted if we get any updates on this particular rumor.

HI-RES GALLERY: Dodge Challenger SRT8 392 "Yellow Jacket"
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:22 AM

i think most of us realized with the CAFE restictions getting much worse in the coming year the challengers days were # but don't think the camaro and the mustang are gonna survive in there current form either
Old 01-11-2012, 04:09 AM

AND this is the exact reason why i sold my challenger... it was a beautiful car
but a GIANT WHALE too. i loved it for around town but after taking it on one road trip
knew it wasnt for me and got rid of it.

my 2nd generation viper search continues but i may have to wait and see what this
barracuda is going to look like before pulling the trigger
Old 02-04-2012, 04:18 AM

Okay from the "official" non official source that broke the news of the 6.4, there will be a supercharged 6.4 in 2013, 590 HP is estimated, and very possibly a convertible in 2014 if the next gen car is not ready for the 2014 model year.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:32 AM

they already said the convertible would weigh to much and that idea was scrapped and your saying there will be a revamped challenger in 2014 unless they intened to make the car smaller and lighter i don't see that either
Old 02-20-2012, 12:08 PM

It amazes me how many Challenger owners complain about the weight of the Challenger. It’s the same weight today as it was when it was sitting on the showroom floor. Didn’t any of them bother to read the specs? YES, the Challenger is a heavy car that’s why it drives so nice. It was also the heaviest “pony car” back in 1970. You can tell the Challenger is not a light weight by just looking at it. So bottom-line is if you didn’t know that coming in…..it’s your fault, do your homework. When I purchased my SRT8, I was buying memories and looks, not a race car. If I wanted the fastest I would have gone with a Mustang. We are lucky Dodge even released the new Challenger….so I will enjoy my ride doing what the Challenger was built for... driving. It will more than likely be the last “retro” or throwback to the Musclecar days of the 60s and 70s. Because of this I will not be selling mine………
(The Camaro is not a Camaro in my book, it’s a ricer with a bowtie, and the Mustang will lose the last of its retro when the new body comes out…….)
Old 02-22-2012, 03:31 AM

my 70 challenger doesn't weigh 4000lbs and it has nothing to do with racing why i am talking about the weight i am talking about fuel mileage and the restriction the federal goverment is putting on passenger cars i nthe coming years
Old 02-22-2012, 01:23 PM

I don't care much about racing - I'm with blk - I bought mine because of its looks. Smoothest lines in the industry (IMHO). I may not have bought it for racing but hemi 8 and 5 spd auto sure make drving fun! ;-)
Old 03-11-2012, 07:31 PM

Question

Originally Posted by wp23n
AND this is the exact reason why i sold my challenger... it was a beautiful car
but a GIANT WHALE too. i loved it for around town but after taking it on one road trip
knew it wasnt for me and got rid of it.

my 2nd generation viper search continues but i may have to wait and see what this
barracuda is going to look like before pulling the trigger
What on the road trip made you get rid of it? It has lots of room with long wheelbase and is suppose to be a very comfortable car to drive on long trips. A great cruiser.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by BLK 6050
It amazes me how many Challenger owners complain about the weight of the Challenger. It’s the same weight today as it was when it was sitting on the showroom floor. Didn’t any of them bother to read the specs? YES, the Challenger is a heavy car that’s why it drives so nice. It was also the heaviest “pony car” back in 1970. You can tell the Challenger is not a light weight by just looking at it. So bottom-line is if you didn’t know that coming in…..it’s your fault, do your homework. When I purchased my SRT8, I was buying memories and looks, not a race car. If I wanted the fastest I would have gone with a Mustang. We are lucky Dodge even released the new Challenger….so I will enjoy my ride doing what the Challenger was built for... driving. It will more than likely be the last “retro” or throwback to the Musclecar days of the 60s and 70s. Because of this I will not be selling mine………
(The Camaro is not a Camaro in my book, it’s a ricer with a bowtie, and the Mustang will lose the last of its retro when the new body comes out…….)
So there is a good side to more weight and longer wheelbase = comfortable ride?

Quick Reply: The Dodge Challenger's Days May Be Numbered: Report