Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

Finally, some Challenger headway

Old 02-10-2008, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally, some Challenger headway

http://www.independentmail.com/blogs...enger_headway/

More sentiments that the 5.7 will be 380 ball park...

guy seems to express a somewhat pessimistic view, seems like he's not on top of the web not knowing that the 6 will debut at the NY Autoshow! (this is confirmed by Press, right?)

Finally, some Challenger headway

Posted February 9, 2008

Ever since the concept broke cover a couple of years ago, more than a few doubts entered my mind as to whether Chrysler would pull this off — especially in a version with fewer than four doors.

My car mag of choice, Car & Driver, finally put a production-spec SRT-8 Challlenger through its paces in what's become an article I've waited months for. Would someone hand me the keys to this land-locked SCUD missile? But before you have visions of "Vanishing Point" in your head, are you ready to be T-boned by reality?

First, let's get the not-so-hot impressions out of the way. First, the five-speed automatic fails to stir much passion. Performance cars need the old-fashioned shifter-and-clutch combo to pass for acceptable — or at least a double-clutch, paddle-shifted six speed (like in the new Lancer Evo or Nissan GT-R). Second, this beast posts what should be the most dour, boring interior in a production car this year — and that includes all subcompacts. If Dodge wants 40 large for this Challenger, you'd think they'd put some thought into interior appointments. After all, you spend way more time on the inside than you do outside.

But the only thing that disappears faster than those nitpicks once the throttle is gunned is this beast soaring past 60. I'm surprised how closely the exterior resembles its concept-car roots. If the Prowler was any indication, Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler have a knack for bringing their wild concepts to life. The first Challengers get the 6.1-liter Hemi (an engine exclusive to the SRT line), with the 5.7-liter following soon after. The 5.7, though, won't be the 340-horse mill that powers the Charger. No, this one will come with the improvements made for the newest Ram pickup. That means bringing horsepower numbers on par with Toyota's new 5.7-liter iForce mill (think 380).

With this kind of firepower, even the portly, 4,000-pound Challenger (yes, it gets its heft from the Charger's genes) should dust off quarters in the 13-second range. Will it come with a V-6? It's anyone's guess as to whether the increasingly miserly Pentastar people will invest much more in a vehicle that's quickly becoming a liability. In fact, I'd bet the farm that this car won't last longer than its 1970-74 namesake. It's more of a tribute to a car that didn't get the respect it deserved decades ago.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Finally, some Challenger headway

In fact, I'd bet the farm that this car won't last longer than its 1970-74 namesake. It's more of a tribute to a car that didn't get the respect it deserved decades ago.
I have been wondering this myself. I am hoping it makes it past 2010.

I think the big issues are profitability, government initiative for alternative fuels, high gas prices, etc..

I think it having a V-6 will help a lot. Only time will tell. I am just afraid of history repeating itself.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:38 AM

I'm honestly surprised it's coming at all. I thought there was a pretty good chance of cerberus pulling the plug. . . guess they knew they'd have a lot of bitter customers if they did. Challenger still doesn't seem to fit with their plan though. They've already pulled the plug on the crossfire, pt cruiser convertible, magnum, and now the viper to focus on the more mainstream cars. If the challenger hadn't been announced for production when it was I doubt they would have approved it. . . I think the fact that they're only making 30,000 shows that they don't have much faith that it can truly compete with the mustang.

So get them while you can!
Old 02-10-2008, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

I may wait for the 2009.5 but it depends and the rumors and what comes out in 2009 in the beginning. We should know about that next month.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:37 PM

Thanks for the update.

Not being able to get the 08 is not hurting my feelings too much. I'm impatient anyway.

I want the choices (especially manual and sublime) that may come with waiting.

Anyone have anything somewhat official on 09 order taking (08 order rollover) as well as potential for 2009.5 or 2010? (6.5, Convertable?)

Eric
Old 02-10-2008, 03:16 PM

ORIGINAL: Overpowered

Anyone have anything somewhat official on 09 order taking (08 order rollover) as well as potential for 2009.5 or 2010? (6.5, Convertable?)

Eric
Check with your dealer in mid to late June to order your '09.