Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

First Look: 2009 Dodge Challenger

Old 03-18-2008, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Look: 2009 Dodge Challenger

First Look: 2009 Dodge Challenger

The Challenger now comes in three grades: the 425 horsepower SRT8, 375 horsepower R/T, and 250 horsepower SE

By Zach Gale
March 19, 2008

2009 Dodge Challenger R/TWe won't harp on how Chrysler may not have the money to create a CAFE-friendly second-generation Challenger. Instead, we'll get right to the goods: the 2009 Dodge Challenger comes in three grades: the 425 horsepower SRT8, 375 horsepower R/T, and 250 horsepower SE, all standard with a healthy dose of retro-modern style.

By now, you probably know that the SRT8 model gets the 6.1-liter Hemi V-8 producing 425 horsepower and 420 lb-ft of torque and is good for a 0-60 mph run in less than five seconds when hooked up to a six-speed manual or a five-speed automatic with an AutoStick manumatic feature. Hill Start Assist, which helps manual transmission cars launch more securely on inclines, is standard on the SRT8 model and optional on the R/T. The feature holds the brakes for about three seconds and releases when it senses engine torque. Once the manual transmission Challenger driver gets on his way, he can enjoy the sounds of a uniquely tuned dual exhaust that optimizes engine back pressure and exhaust throatiness by using two low restriction bottle resonators instead of a stamped underfloor muffler. Dodge points out that manual Challengers borrow technology from the Viper SRT10 in the form of the clutch, which features a twin-disc design to make the most of the driving experience.

2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8With the Challenger SRT8 serving as the halo model, we guess that means the 375 horsepower, 404 lb-ft of torque Challenger R/T serves as a "midlevel model." The numbers above are achieved when the Challenger R/T driver has the six-speed manual -- the R/T with a five-speed automatic makes do with 370 horsepower and 398 lb-ft of torque. Challenger R/Ts go from 0-60 mph in less than six seconds, Dodge says.

The Dodge muscle car enthusiast on a budget may head to the Challenger SE, which mates a 3.5-liter V-6 with a four-speed automatic to produce 250 horsepower and 250 lb-ft of torque. Dodge's attempts to lower the base Challenger MSRP to within a few thousand dollars of the V-6 Ford Mustang's MSRP of $20,235 (including a $745 destination charge) result in a base Challenger SE whose basic specifications have mixed results in hiding its status in the Challenger food chain.

2009 Dodge Challenger SEYou can tell a Challenger SE from its R/T and SRT8 brethren by its single exhaust pipe out back and its 17-inch steel wheels with bolt-on covers shod with P215/65R17 98T all-season Goodyears. Dodge wisely has not yet provided any pictures of Challenger SE's with the 17-inch bolt-on cover steel wheels, but does show the SE equipped with the Popular Equipment Package, which, most importantly, upgrades the tires to P225/60R18H 99H all-season Continentals. We imagine most enthusiasts interested in a Challenger SE will go for the package, which, besides an eight-way power driver's seat, "luxury floor mats," Electronic Stability Program (with traction control and brake assist) and other goodies, includes anti-lock brakes.

Along with the simple yet attractive five-spoke aluminum wheels pictured at right, the Challenger SE with the Popular Equipment Package forms a respectable but not class-leading package that should comprise a good portion of Challenger sales.

SEs get a 140-mph speedo, R/Ts show 160 mph, and SRT8s have a 180-mph display

Find this article at:
http://www.motortrend.com/features/a...ger_first_look
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:20 PM

Default RE: First Look: 2009 Dodge Challenger

I posted the pics from MT:

[IMG]local://upfiles/374/CF99D8B0C9E042F386C458D610A9C296.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/374/7C2BE174074D4EAE89324EB89EC25F62.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/374/ABDA42798FBD456CB47D65471EEFC657.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/374/198F2A5D364B46E99CEA7956ADFBFAB2.jpg[/IMG]
Old 03-19-2008, 01:22 AM

Yep. If gas prices aren't enough to scare you away from the Hemis, another reason to buy the V-6 is that you don't have to take it to the body shop to have the rear spoiler removed. And, at 250 HP, that's 20 HP more than my '70's 318 V-8 produced and its speedometer goes 20 mph higher. Also, the tire size appears a LOT better on the SE model. I'm sorry, but I really HATE the modern oversized wheels and ultra-low-profile tires -- they look like something that should be on Conastoga wagons, NOT a car. Aside from lacking proper script Challenger insignia, the SE appears to be the perfect car. Long live the V-6!
Old 03-19-2008, 03:43 AM

Seems there are a couple of touch ups on the interior also. The center with the radio and climate controls look a little different. The heated seats button looks blue, though it may just be the picture because it wouldn't make any sense why they would be blue unless they are heated and cool seats, but it still looks cool, no pun intended. The only thing that really still kills this for me is that steering wheel. If it were simple to just change it out then I wouldn't complain, but getting nailed by an airbag while trying to take it apart, not to mention probably illegal, just doesn't sound like fun. Paying someone to do it is probably outrageously expensive. Definitely can't complain as bad though.

The tires, I have to agree. The biggest size I would go is 18, after that they look huge and out of place. They also make for some bad traction in the snow since snow tires don't come cheap as you get bigger and bigger. I don't need Z rated tires on this thing, there is just no way I'm going to be near 100+ miles an hour. Not sure why they do that. I like to know that I can do the speed, by the speedometer is just fine with me, I don't need to know that my tires have the cost and the ability to do it. Isn't that sending the wrong message and or government would normally frown on it? Actually, I kind of like that idea, but I still don't need Z rated tires. lol.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:19 AM

So what are we looking at price wise for the R/T? 25G?
Old 03-19-2008, 07:53 AM
Super Moderator

I'd certainly think we'd be looking @ 31/2 range....isn't that what we've been kickin around?

Old 03-19-2008, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

Oh yes, they kept the pistol grip! YAAAHOOO! I'm happy with what I'm seeing. MGDMike, I'm afraid the lower $30K range will be the price for an R/T, though the manual might help the price since manuals generally cost less than automatics on cars.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 03-19-2008, 08:48 AM

Actually, I just got to thinking (always a dangerous practice): WHY do they make speedometers that go to 140 mph for a V-6? I'd well imagine the only way you could get one to go 140 would be if it were launched straight down the side of a cliff.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:54 AM

ORIGINAL: Axel

The tires, I have to agree. The biggest size I would go is 18, after that they look huge and out of place. They also make for some bad traction in the snow since snow tires don't come cheap as you get bigger and bigger.
That's something I was wondering recently. Having lived in South Texas for 25 years, I haven't had to worry about getting snow tires for a long time. And considering the growth of the front-wheel-drive market in that period, is it even easy to find snow tires anymore?
Old 03-19-2008, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: RoswellGrey

Actually, I just got to thinking (always a dangerous practice): WHY do they make speedometers that go to 140 mph for a V-6? I'd well imagine the only way you could get one to go 140 would be if it were launched straight down the side of a cliff.
Actually, it might not be as far fetched as you might think. The Charger Police Package managed to hit 135 with the same 3.5L V6. I know that some people claimed that they were able to do about 140 in 300Ms, which of course were lighter and more aerodynamic. If you modify it a bit, I'm sure its possible.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Quick Reply: First Look: 2009 Dodge Challenger