Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

Focus Group

Old 11-09-2007, 02:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Focus Group

Dodge tested the reaction of the general public to the 2008 Challenger in a California focus group. The event was reported on www.redletterdodge.com, Dodge's official blog site.

Here is an excerpt from the post:

"We here at Red Letter got to sit in on this particular session, held a few weeks back in Southern California to gather initial impressions of the 2008 Challenger — that’s right, the production version of the 2008 Dodge Challenger. And just for you, we’re going to take you where car companies have traditionally never taken their customers…inside the market research room.

For us, it was pretty exciting. We’ve all been working on this vehicle for a long time and not many Dodge folks have caught a glimpse of the sheet metal that will eventually be hitting the streets next year. For the focus group, it was a chance to make a few bucks. And they started the night with patient eyes and polite smiles sitting around conference tables with snacks and drinks for all.

Stepping around the back corridors of this particular facility makes you a kind of wizard behind the curtain…in every room are people looking at pictures and phrases, with cameras rolling and every word and facial expression being scrutinized by the experts.

Without revealing proprietary information, each group basically starts the night responding to questions asked on this particular evening by a man with a thick British accent. Most are general…what are their tastes? When were they born? Where do they live? Don’t I have a funny accent? (He did actually say that.)

As time wore on, the questions became more specific. And a series of car questions and photos slowly led them to believe this was a car company behind the mirrors. And after a few more, they knew it was Dodge.

At this point, they perked up a bit and talked about the pros and cons of the brand. Some even owned Dodge trucks and cars. The American auto industry was discussed and given pros and cons. But the groups still thought this was just normal research and munched on party mix washed down with some complimentary sodas.

We saw several small groups over a course of days go through the same process. And each time, our British-sounding questioner had an ace up his sleeve and time after time dealt it like a hammer.

“Have you heard of the Challenger?”

For most, they knew of the classic Challenger. And for those of the right age, they perked up at the mention of it, retelling stories of great times from their youth.

“Did you know there is a new Challenger coming out?”

A few knew about the concept debut in Detroit in 2006. But most were surprised to hear about the rebirth. And they generally commented that it would be nice to see a new muscle car.

“Well, you’re going to see that car tonight and tell us what you think.”

As you might expect, the group noticeably sprang to life. You don’t have to be a car nut to enjoy seeing a brand new car. Think of those times when you’ve seen a car on the road that you’’ve never seen before. It’s cool. It’s a really cool feeling to take it in, judge it, ponder it and watch it as it departs from view.

These handfuls of people bounced out of their seats and moved to a secure garage in the back, clutching notepads and pens. Sitting nearby were two gentlemen with extremely serious looks on their faces. Their jobs were to ensure nobody — and they meant NOBODY– even thought about taking a picture of the Challenger inside.

(We asked the two if they’d caught anyone trying. “One guy,” the big guy on the right said, unsmiling. His friend on the left didn’t elaborate. We laughed nervously, nodded and shuffled away.)

The groups entered the room to see a black production Challenger sparkling under the lights. Again, we can’t say much…but we can say they were all wide-eyed and gingerly jotting down notes. And again, you don’t have to be a car nut to get a thrill from seeing a car like
Old 11-09-2007, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Focus Group

I hope they all got up and said "The spoiler SUX!"
Old 11-10-2007, 01:54 AM

I wonder if they have done these focus groups on their other models, and what was the response.
I wonder how much influence the focus group has on the end product.
I wonder why they chose California, and will they survey other markets of the buying public.

I hope Dodge comes out with some answers, soon so I don't have to wonder so much.lol

Bob
Old 11-10-2007, 04:34 AM
Super Moderator

These guys didn't know what they were there for, so I do not think they were cars guys.

For most, they knew of the classic Challenger.

Sounds like some did not know what the Challenger was or that it was even coming out again.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.