Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

SRT Line to Continue

Old 11-09-2007, 04:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SRT Line to Continue

The SRT line will continue. See the following article that appeared in http://www.autoobserver.com/2007/11/...r-srt-sp.html:

"Last week, Chrysler LLC announced cuts in production, people and products, but the automaker’s in-house SRT performance division appears largely unscathed.

Chrysler “lifer,” Michael Accavitti, who is director of the Dodge Brand and SRT marketing communications, is confident about the future of the performance division. He believes Bob Nardelli, Chrysler’s chairman and CEO with no auto industry experience, is a fine choice to lead Chrysler in its new life following its split with former owner Daimler AG.

And SRT got a vote of confidence from Jim Press, the Toyota executive brought to Chrysler to run sales, marketing and product planning. “SRT is giving those customers what they want in emotion, in passion, in driving,” he said recently, though he hinted the SRT label would focus on Dodge products.

Accavitti has every “car guy’s” dream job: he’s the front man for an automaker’s in-house performance-tuning division, in this case, Chrysler’s Street and Racing Technology, or SRT.

The “car guys” famously have little regard for the bean-counter types. Not only is the business background of Chrysler’s new CEO Bob Nardelli hugely more financially oriented than product-focused, Nardelli comes with double whammy of enjoying zero auto-industry experience, period.

But Accavitti is convinced new chairman and CEO Nardelli is the real deal. AutoObserver spoke with Accavitti soon after Chrysler announced Nardelli’s arrival. Accavitti spoke about Nardelli’s passion, SRT’s direction in the post-Daimler era, and how he expects SRT will fare under new private ownership.

You run the company’s SRT marketing operations, but what’s your background? Aren’t you an engineer?

I've worked over the 30 years (of his Chrysler career) in most of the pillars of our organization: engineering, manufacturing, finance, sales and marketing. So I can speak to quite a few areas of our company.

I have an undergraduate degree in engineering, I have a masters in business, and I have a law degree.

OK, let’s just get down to it: New owner Cerberus names Bob Nardelli as Chrysler LLC’s new CEO. Nardelli ran Home Depot, for heaven’s sake -– how do you think SRT is going to fare with the new management? Will SRT’s “appearance” to consumers change?

I have not received any indication that (SRT’s image to consumers) would change.

SRT is our ultimate performance line. It's the lineup that attracts the most passionate auto enthusiasts. It's just good business to be on those guys and gals consideration lists and to have those guys talking about you. I don’t see any change at all in the direction we’re going with SRT.

With so much ground to cover immediately following the breakaway from Daimler, is the SRT part of the business on the radar screen? Does Cerberus -– and equally important, Bob Nardelli –- get it? Do they understand what an in-house tuner is all about?

Absolutely.

My indications are -– and we had a management meeting with Bob (immediately after Nardelli was hired) and got to know him a little bit better -- even though he's coming from outside the auto industry, this guy understands cars, he understands that these are emotional purchases and passionate purchases. It's going to be great -– everything is going to be fine with Bob Nardelli driving this bus, I’ll tell you that right now.

You’re convinced he does understand the emotion of the car business, that his lack of auto-industry experience can be overcome?

He's a NASCAR fan, a car racing fan himself. Bob’s a passionate car guy, he's got a Plymouth Prowler that he drives for fun. He's a car guy, right? Whether he has the 30 years experience in the automobile business or not, he's a good business man.

He's got a proven track record. He's going to allow us to do the things we need to do to sell ca
Old 11-10-2007, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SRT Line to Continue

I'm glad Chrysler is keeping the faith on the SRT line (for now) - I for one believe it will be a very important piece of the new Chrysler's puzzle. Ford gave up on its SVT division despite a promising lineup (for the day). I really think Chrysler has a good thing going with the SRT lineup - I can only hope they keep it around and improve it and not get cold feet.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SRT Line to Continue

I hope they are willing to keep investing in the SRT line and do not let it become a waterred down division and uncompetitive with the best of the best like what has happened to the R/T badge. I hope they decide to expand their offerings to some of the models that are having trouble catching on such as the Sebring and Avenger. An SRT version could really help them both.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts