Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

Prices for the legendary 'Cuda and Challenger continue to grow higher.

Old 10-05-2006, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prices for the legendary 'Cuda and Challenger continue to grow higher.

I like reading articles like this as it news in anticipation of the 2008 Challenger.

October 4, 2006

Challenging Hemis and history

Prices for the legendary 'Cuda and Challenger continue to grow higher.

Jerry Garrett / New York Times

Nearly 20 years ago, Barry Washington stumbled across an unusual used car, a 1970 Dodge Challenger T/A. He didn't know much about it, other than that it had cool racing stripes, wild orange paint and a motor born for racing.

He bought the car, though he recalls thinking that the price, $6,500, seemed far too high. So began a new life for the driver and the car, whose value today is comfortably in six figures.

About five years ago, Washington found a way to garage his car -- not long after he found out how valuable it had become.

Prices for Challenger T/As, along with a whole generation of Challengers and Plymouth Barracudas, have risen exponentially in recent years, particularly since DaimlerChrysler announced in July that it would bring back the Challenger in 2008.

Washington's research revealed that the 1970 Challenger T/A was a racing version of Dodge's belated entry into the muscle car wars. Only 2,518 are known to have been built; Washington knows this because he has become perhaps the top authority on the cars. He now heads the Challenger T/A Registry (challengertaregistry.com) and is the spiritual leader of a group aficionados seeking to locate T/As or document what happened to all of them.

"The holy grail of the muscle car world is the '71 Hemi 'Cuda convertible -- just because so few of them were made," said Steve Davis, vice president of the Barrett-Jackson Auction Company. "That's King Kong. After that, it would be maybe the '70 Hemi 'Cuda convertible, then the hardtop versions of those cars."

What does Davis mean by holy grail? The current auction record for a '71 Hemi 'Cuda convertible (one of fewer than a dozen made) is "well north of $2 million," he said. He predicts that this record will be easily and repeatedly broken in January when a bumper crop of Dodge and Plymouth muscle cars go on the block at Barrett-Jackson's big auction in Scottsdale, Ariz.

Chrysler enthusiasts like to point out that the company was the first with a pony car -- its Plymouth Barracuda was introduced on April Fools' Day, 1964, and was in dealerships a few weeks before the Ford Mustang. But Ford fans scoff, asking how there could have been a pony car before the Mustang, progenitor for the class, even went on sale.

In truth, the Barracuda was a pre-emptive strike; the Mustang's impending arrival was well-known, so Chrysler quickly cobbled together a fastback version of its Valiant compact, adding a huge glass rear window (dubbed the fish tank).

More than a million Mustangs were sold in just 18 months. Total Barracuda sales over 11 years never topped 400,000. (Its later-arriving cousin, the Challenger, accounted for 200,000 more.)

Not until the 1970 model year did Chrysler come up with fresh ground-up designs for pony/muscle cars, and by then the era was winding down. Within four years, Chrysler decided to discontinue them.

Yet their lack of marketplace success has helped to make Barracudas and Challengers coveted collectibles.

The cars had already earned a spot in pop culture. The Challenger was a star in films from "Vanishing Point" (1971) to "2 Fast 2 Furious" (2003). While the Barracuda had a cleaner, classier design, resurrecting that nameplate would have been problematic, given that Chrysler phased out the Plymouth division four years ago.

[b]Instead, Dodge unveiled a design study for a reborn Challenger at the Detroit auto show in January. By summer the car had a green light for production. "We hadn't seen this kind of spontaneous, passionate response to a car since the introduction of the Viper concept in 1989," Thomas W. LaSorda, president of the Chrysler Group, said.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Prices for the legendary 'Cuda and Challenger continue to grow higher.

I also like reading articles like this because it reminds DCX how people really do want these cars. It will help them keep their eyes on the ball and not make a stupid change.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 10-05-2006, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Prices for the legendary 'Cuda and Challenger continue to grow higher.

I am going to go out on a limb here, but I never liked the late 60's look of the 'Cuda.

The '70s version was when it looked awesome for me.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah 29:11

I am going to go out on a limb here, but I never liked the late 60's look of the 'Cuda.

The '70s version was when it looked awesome for me.
Why you Benedict Arnold!!! Just kidding!

I would actually agree. The Cuda was a car that I think looked better as it got older. The early models aren't what I would define as attractive. The late 60s model is an improvement in my opinion but still needed work. The 70s version was the best looking model ever. If Plymouth would have used styling like that from the beginning, perhaps the Cuda would be pony car every one remembers instead of the Mustang.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts