Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

a friend sent this link, MSN cars

Old 05-14-2008, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a friend sent this link, MSN cars

http://editorial.autos.msn.com:80/ar...umentid=483319
Old 05-14-2008, 04:43 PM

Default RE: a friend sent this link, MSN cars

My wife was kind enough to email me the same article at work... maybe she's coming around...
Old 05-14-2008, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator

I can't get it to come up, could you copy and paste it?

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 05-14-2008, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

Here is what it says.

First Drive: 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8
Dodge revives a muscle car icon.

By Larry E. Hall Click to see more pictures Dodge’s 2008 Challenger SRT8 reignites the muscle car wars of the 1960s and early 70s and is ready to challenge the Ford Mustang and the upcoming Chevrolet Camaro.

Dodge’s 2008 Challenger SRT8 is one serious-looking, all-out, no-holds-barred American muscle car. But don’t let the looks fool you. This is a modern machine that not only has pavement-rippling performance, but serves up a near sedan-like ride quality in day-to-day driving. The new Challenger also contains all of the safety and entertainment features expected in a 21st-century automobile.

Model Lineup

Until this fall when the full lineup arrives, the only new Challenger coupe offered is the muscled-up SRT8 version. So far, more than 11,000 folks have put money on the table for the 2008 model year production run of 6,400 units. There are only three color choices (orange, black and silver) and one engine — a HEMI-V8 of course.

View Pictures: Dodge Challenger SRT8

Those nabbing keys will find many standard features that were either optional or non-existent in 1970; items such as side-curtain airbags, electronic stability and traction control, anti-lock disc brakes, high-intensity discharge headlights, remote keyless entry, air conditioning, cruise control and a 322-watt, 13-speaker audio system. A Performances Pages instrument panel readout can show 0–60 and quarter-mile times, 60–0 mph braking and g-forces. The only options are a sunroof, a GPS navigation system, and Goodyear F1 Supercar rubber as an upgrade from the standard Eagle RS-A tires.

Throwback Styling

Despite an abbreviated platform borrowed from the Chrysler 300 that is longer and wider than the first Challenger, designers have captured the essence of the storied 1970 model’s long hood and short deck. Up front a rectangular grille is flanked by round headlights, and out back the full-width taillight with a centered white back-up light has a familiar look. The 20-inch forged aluminum wheels have roots from the 1960s Magnum 500 wheels, while the outside mirrors are aerodynamic versions of the originals.

Watch Video: Challenger Debut in Chicago

Functional hood scoops help the 425-horsepower 6.1-liter V8 keep its cool. The ‘HEMI’ twists out 420 lb-ft of torque, and its 69.8 horsepower-per-liter rating exceeds that of even the legendary 1966 “Street HEMI.” Directing the power to the rear wheels is a five-speed automatic with AutoStick, which allows the driver to manually select a higher or lower gear, but is the only transmission available. An aggressive first gear ratio provides outstanding launch performance.

Inner Space

Sitting in the driver’s seat is not exactly a blast from the past, thanks to the off-the-rack Chrysler 300 steering wheel. Not only is it way out of character, it’s proportionally too large, and has four rather than three spokes. There are reminiscent touches, however. Trapezoidal shapes around the gauge cluster and on the door panels relate to the original, as do the slanted shifter console and black headliner.

Message board: Is the Dodge Challenger the first shot in a new muscle-car war?

Dodge’s signature four-bomb gauges with black numbers on a white face are highlighted with chrome rings. Changing audio, climate or navigation controls doesn’t require the driver to change seat positions to reach, and materials used throughout the cabin are pleasing to the eye, with respectable-looking plastic finishes. Aggressive side bolsters on the front seats seem to glue occupants in place on the track, yet are marvelously comfortable on long highway runs. The back seat is similarly comfy for two adults — three on short hauls.

On the Road

Straight-line numbers are worthy of old school Challengers: The new version hustles from 0 to
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator

Thank you. MSN generally has well written reviews that are worth reading and this is no exception to the rule. Well balanced and professional sounding without apparent whining about it being a gas guzzler and comparing it to cars no one who is tempted by this car is going to compare it to (the Prius).

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 05-16-2008, 10:10 AM

Great article/review, but a couple things concern me. First of all, this was the first time I've heard any reference to the exhaust being "relatively quiet". All prior accounts/reviews of the exhaust note would seem to contradict this reviewer's opinion. So, I'm left sitting here scratching my head. Secondly, this review quotes a 0-60 time of 4.9 seconds. My understanding was 4.7 seconds. Which is it? Should we just say 4.8 and call it a day?

I'm taking a tour to some 4 local Dodge stores this weekend to see if I can actually find one in the flesh.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe they were just under the acceptable limits in decibles allowed. Quiet is not a word I would use to describe the exhaust note on the SRT-8 Challenger. Dodge qoutes 0-60 under 5 sec. Some mags have tested 4.7 and others a little slower. Depends on which test you read as to fastest and quickest times. I hope you find a Challenger in the flesh and come back and tell us what the deal is
Old 05-16-2008, 08:13 PM

it could just be quiet at idle... you know some types of exhuast notes are really throaty or croak when idleing and some are pretty quiet... when you step on it im sure it roars... No doubt this thing will be louder then say a vettet' or GT mustang...
Old 05-17-2008, 06:51 AM

Be interesting to hear what the '09 manuals sound like too as the are supposed to have a different exhaust???
Old 05-17-2008, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: MrKrisSullivan

it could just be quiet at idle... you know some types of exhuast notes are really throaty or croak when idleing and some are pretty quiet... when you step on it im sure it roars... No doubt this thing will be louder then say a vettet' or GT mustang...
I wouldn't might it being throaty when idling but not too loud that I get a ticket for being obnoxious.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.

Quick Reply: a friend sent this link, MSN cars