Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

Head-to-Head Comparison: 2008 Shelby GT500 Mustang vs. 2008 Challenger SRT8

Old 02-28-2008, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Head-to-Head Comparison: 2008 Shelby GT500 Mustang vs. 2008 Challenger SRT8

They need to have a performance package on the challenger to lose some of the things we don't really need so it wont be so heavy, and have a better exhaust, air intake, and a sport steering wheel!
Old 02-28-2008, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Head-to-Head Comparison: 2008 Shelby GT500 Mustang vs. 2008 Challenger SRT8

ORIGINAL: DK challenger

They need to have a performance package on the challenger to lose some of the things we don't really need so it wont be so heavy, and have a better exhaust, air intake, and a sport steering wheel!
You can count on performance packages but I dont think they will make it lighter. The only way to make it lighter is to come up with a new platform that is not based on heavier sedans.

About the only thing you can do is replace hood, trunk, doors, with carbon fiber but that would be expensive.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah 29:11

You can count on performance packages but I dont think they will make it lighter. The only way to make it lighter is to come up with a new platform that is not based on heavier sedans.

About the only thing you can do is replace hood, trunk, doors, with carbon fiber but that would be expensive.
I think the size is most of the problem. Here is what I've noticed about the Mustang and the Challenger and the 06 GTO:

Ford Mustang GT500

the length is 187.6 inches
the width is 74.0 inches
the height is 55.7 inches
the wheelbase is 107 inches
weight 3920lbs

Dodge Challenger SRT-8
the length is 197.7 inches
the width is 75.7 inches
the height is 57 inches
the wheelbase is 116 inches
weight 4140lbs

06 GTO
the length is 189.8 inches
the width is 72.5 inches
the height is 54.9 inches
the wheelbase is 109.8 inches
weight 3725 lbs.

The Challenger is practically a class bigger than either the Mustang or GTO, his explains why it weighs so much. The original GTO was supposed to be in a class with the Charger, yet this current Challenger which is using a large car platform is larger than it. Cutting the wheelbase did very little to cut back on the size as it is still very similar to the 300. Basically, its a Charger that has been styled after the Challenger and named the Challenger.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 03-02-2008, 12:17 AM

ORIGINAL: kevin2323

were you completely stock ?> manual im guessing? srt8 drivers tend to have bad launches due to traction problems.... so it shouldve been close but he shouldve had you both times but nice race.... oh btw the challenger is shorter in the rear and longer in the front.... and its shorter heigh wise to its lx brothers..
I think I had a CAI and 91 oct. tune at the time. I don't know if the 300 was stock or not. but anyways.... as mentioned previously, the Challenger looks freekin' great and I'm still awfully tempted. I just need a little more to go all in. The 6 sp. manual, for example. And a lower rear-end ratio would go a long way. A nicer instrument panel would be cool, too, but I could live without. I won't be serious until next spring anyways, so I look forward to all the reviews.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:06 AM

Basically you can say it is another car on the lx platform or updated lx platform..... which i dont know why people complain so much... i expected it to wiegh this much the minute they said it would be on an updated lx platform. I was hoping it would be slightly quicker than the 4 door and it is. These cars have so much potential with cars getting mid to low 11s with just NA kits and they are finally making a bundle of aftermarket products for these engines.

P.S : the first ever 9sec hemi is coming... they are supercharging a 426 stroker that should make those numbers or pass them.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:18 AM
Super Moderator

I know everybody knows this but the Challenger is based on a 4 inch shorter version of the LX platform. The 300, Magnum, Charger are all based on this platform. They are all heavy cars. The only way it is going to be lighter is if they change the platform to the LY platform which may not be out until 2010.

Keep in mind with all of the new impact standards they cars have certainly gotten heavier.

The GTO and Mustangs and just smaller cars to begin with. You cannot put 3 people in the Mustang like you can in a Challenger.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:29 AM

OK, so the Challenger needs to go on a diet. Jeremiah, you hit the nail on the head, the LX platform is very heavy. Its holding the proformance numbers back. I feel sorry for the street car owners, and the Challenger SS(race only) owners. The SS will suffer in competition trying to lay down a good ET. Mopar proformance does not offer a 6.1L aluminum block yet (maybe never). But, for the SS and the street guy that is loaded. An aluminum block should trim 100 lbs off the front end (more weight transfer to the rear wheels). Sure a lighter platform would be nicer, but we only have so much to work with at this time.

The down fall is we are the first ones in a long line. We will wait for roughly six months on an ordered car. We will own an SRT8 long before any proformance parts are available. And will be out performed on the street until these proformance parts get to us.

This has happened to me before. I could out run a stock mustang 5.0, but couldn't when they had a computer and an exhaust system. Something simple, but could produce big gains.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator

Maybe they will have carbon fiber doors, trunk, and hood in the aftermarket parts bin. That would certainly help.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:36 PM

stroken56 your right on 1 aspect of that.... the exterior mods we will have to wait on.. but engine mods? no way they have a bunch of stuff out for the 5.7 and 6.1 all thanks to the chargers being out for quite some time now and the 300 and the magnum and the jeep. we will have an abundance of engine mods to put on these cars off the bat so don;t start waving the white flag yet. also since the ss is going to be available to the public i'm almost certain they will sell most of the parts, so you will probably be able to buy the light weight front fascia of the challenger ss for your street challenger hehe.... i mean for your track only challenger
Old 03-02-2008, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

I am planning to take advantage of the aftermarket parts bin for looks and peformance. I will be looking for the articles that discuss the best performance enhancements in incremental steps. Like Roush does with Phase 1, Phase 2, Phase 3 cars or something like that and will incremently add performance to the Challenger over time.

Quick Reply: Head-to-Head Comparison: 2008 Shelby GT500 Mustang vs. 2008 Challenger SRT8