Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

Head-to-Head Comparison: 2008 Shelby GT500 Mustang vs. 2008 Challenger SRT8

Old 03-09-2008, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Head-to-Head Comparison: 2008 Shelby GT500 Mustang vs. 2008 Challenger SRT8

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah 29:11

Agreed, the only problems are they aren't as consistent throughout the band in terms of power and they can be harder on the engine than a supercharger.
Can you elaborate on what you mean by that?
Certainly, with turbocharged engines you will generally have lag and have to wait for the turbo to gain boost. Superchargers generally have the boost to begin with right off the bat thanks to the fact that they run off the engine directly instead of via exhaust and the such. Superchargers tend to be more consistent in the amount of power that they produce which is one of their advantages, turbos tend to provide more peak potential which is their advantage.

I just think that should be reserved for the aftermarket and larger displacement should be for the production model.
Why not have both.........then you have a real monster on your hands and a more reliable engine since it can withstand the stress.
[/quote]
I'm not sure what your saying here. The issue is that forced air induction tends to add stress to an engine and gives it a shorter life in the long run. It is true you can beef up the engine in anticipation for this, but generally the engine will last longer without it as long as the engine itself was a good design before the forced air-induction was added. The issue is I would rather have say a 6.4L or 6.5L that produces 500hp or better than supercharge an engine to get it as you always have that power. For example, if the belt was removed from the supercharger or the turbo got worn due to age or damaged, you will not still have the 500hp or anything within a margin of error distance. Although it is true that as an engine gets older it will not produce the same amount of power that it had when it was new in the case of using a larger engine size around 6.4L or 6.5L, the power drop amount will be significantly less than if something would go wrong with either forced air induction system.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 03-10-2008, 08:39 AM

Default RE: Head-to-Head Comparison: 2008 Shelby GT500 Mustang vs. 2008 Challenger SRT8

ORIGINAL: RLSH700

[Another thing that is important to remember is that GM generally sets up their engines and transmissions to use taller gearing than most other manufacturers so this isn't too surprising. Although you may be correct about when they are just cruising it will yield an advantage, the issue at hand is that will do very little to help them with the CAFE standards from what I understand. The CAFE standards are based significantly off of the "official" EPA sticker ratings. If those ratings say it does no better than a V8, it's not going to help them. Will it help the customers who drive them? If what your saying is correct, then yes. The other thing is under current use of technology the forced air-induction systems are not being paired up with a multi-displacement systems, and that has the same basic effect of when not being used at full power it really can yield some significant advantages. Our administrator has mentioned many times about how his in-laws were able to get 30mpg with a 300C, but that does little to help Chrysler with the Government because their system says 25 (or 23 by the new standards). Also I have talked to many owners of the last F-body cars (Firebird and Camaro owners) and many of them have claimed that the old ratings they had up to 28mpg was accurate, so I don't know how much better off a person would be with the forced air induction route anyways. I don't know any one who owns the current Vettes or any other models so I can't testify about those per say. I will admit I don't know enough results of forced air inducted cars to make a judgment call about what mileage they get so someone else will have to add that one.

I believe part of the reason why the LS engines do so well in fuel efficiency besides weight and gearing is the compression ratios. The LS2 had a 10.9 to 1 compression, the LS7 has about a 11.1 to 1 or 11.0 to 1 (depending on the source). The 5.7L Hemi currently has a 9.6 to 1, the 6.1L has a 10.3 to 1 in comparison. The Viper's V10 improved significantly from 19 to 22 (using the new standards) thanks to the VCT, the increased compression (from 9.6 to 1 to 10.2), and the updated TR-6060 from the old T-56 transmission, despite the slight displacement increase. If Chrysler would start to use taller gearing, I think that would really help them out a lot on the 6.1L because it really has short gearing currently, no thanks to the MB built transmission's .83 overdrive, plus it is not a very fuel efficient design to begin with.

I will agree that people will be satisfied with its power, it is just a one upping game is all. We want to one up the Mustang is all. I'm sure you understand that. I look forward to your response as I'm enjoying this conversation as well. I like a challenge(r) especially when the person's points are logical and civil, which you do an excellent job of filling that criteria.

Thanks for the comments RLHS700. I have been off the board a couple of days. We just had the Autorama here in Detroit over the weekend. Surpisingly we didn't have a new Challenger on display at the Mopar booth. I was hoping we would have had a pilot SRT-8 there just for review. I spoke with one of my guys and he said that was the question everyone was asking. We did have a real nice 1970 Challenger there and a couple of LX cars. If you weren't awware the Autorama is basically a custom/muslecar/streetcar/performance car show. A lot of everything is there and geared strictly to the enthusiast. I will post out a little later under the engine section but check out the June issue of Mopar Action. They tested an SRT-8 Magnum stock and then with some bolt ons. They got it to run 12.92 and one pass a 12.80. Not sure of the 12.8 was a fluke though. They reflashed it with a Predator hand held programmer and some exhaust work. I think they also used a CAI and had the car down to the 12.20s at almost 112mph. Real good ar
Old 03-10-2008, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: 1971Chall

Thanks for the comments RLHS700. I have been off the board a couple of days. We just had the Autorama here in Detroit over the weekend. Surpisingly we didn't have a new Challenger on display at the Mopar booth. I was hoping we would have had a pilot SRT-8 there just for review. I spoke with one of my guys and he said that was the question everyone was asking. We did have a real nice 1970 Challenger there and a couple of LX cars. If you weren't awware the Autorama is basically a custom/muslecar/streetcar/performance car show. A lot of everything is there and geared strictly to the enthusiast. I will post out a little later under the engine section but check out the June issue of Mopar Action. They tested an SRT-8 Magnum stock and then with some bolt ons. They got it to run 12.92 and one pass a 12.80. Not sure of the 12.8 was a fluke though. They reflashed it with a Predator hand held programmer and some exhaust work. I think they also used a CAI and had the car down to the 12.20s at almost 112mph. Real good article and again highlights why the Challenger won't be a weak sister. Thanks for the comments also. Hey, I'm just a car guy like most everybody that is on these boards. I wish I knew it all but that unfortunately is not the case, lol. I have been fortunate to be able to enjoy this hobby and I want others to do so too. Like most everything else, if there's little support it goes away. It's good there are different choices too as it would be no fun if the world were all one car or another. Anytime I can share anything I will. Jeremiah, to answer your question I say it's harder(super/turbo) on an engine from the aspect that you are asking it to produce a lot more HP from the same displacement. A purpose built motor will last for sure but it's definitely easier on an engine to produce 1hp per cube NA then to ask a smaller motor to make the same power level.
You're welcome! I hear you about the not seeing the Challenger on display. When I went to the autoshow this year that previously had the Challenger last year, the Challenger was a no show. I really think they need to put in more effort into making it a consistent show-up. I have no doubts that the SRT-8 will be fast, I would just like it to be comfortably faster than the GT500. One reason why I also prefer NA over forced air induction is again the consistency of the power and tq itself. I think I read that the GT500's supercharger was meant for more peak power, which would certainly explain why it fails to blow away its predecessors.

Albeeno, I just remembered something for you to take into consideration. If you remember back in the 90s, the 1995 Mustang Cobra R which like the 2000 Cobra R in lacking an A/C, back seat, and radio produced 300hp & 365ft-lbs of tq only managed to do 0-60 in around 5.4-5.2 secs. In 98, MT managed to match 5.4 secs that with the outgoing 4.6L Cobra that produced 305hp & 300ft-lbs of tq (though they said they thought that was actually overrated) and that had all the normal luxuries as did the Mach 1 which produced 305hp & 320ft-lbs of tq, and the current GT is slightly faster have 300hp & 315ft-lbs of tq despite the weight increase and boxier body. Although the Cobra and Mach 1 models produced 5 more hp supposively, all three of them had significantly less tq, so why then could they manage to get as close let alone match with less tq when the GT500 has way more hp & tq that is completely out of the margin of error range?

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 03-10-2008, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator

they can be harder on the engine than a supercharger.
Superchargers are harder on the engine and the powertrain due to the reasons you cited. The sudden shock at launch on the whole system is the biggest culprit.

The issue is I would rather have say a 6.4L or 6.5L that produces 500hp or better than supercharge an engine to get it as you always have that power.
Yes, but you can have a 6.5L that is already very strong to take this kind of abuse and add an induction system to it and have a real monster.

For example, if the belt was removed from the supercharger
Then engine would not work since there is no way to get it air to the intake.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, but you can have a 6.5L that is already very strong to take this kind of abuse and add an induction system to it and have a real monster.
If you want both, that's fine for the aftermarket, but don't expect them to have both standard especially with the CAFE standards coming up. I would rather reserve this for the aftermarket as it will cost less to purchase first. What I'm saying is that it will have a shorter life than a NA engine.

Then engine would not work since there is no way to get it air to the intake.
Actually there are cases where people have done that and they do work just not as well. The simple fact is your then depending on two factors that will grow weaker with age and wear out. The potential for power loss is more significant and its another thing to have to maintain.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 03-11-2008, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

but don't expect them to have both standard especially with the CAFE standards coming up. I would rather reserve this for the aftermarket as it will cost less to purchase first. What I'm saying is that it will have a shorter life than a NA engine.
I totally agree with that. Yes, I certainly do not expect Dodge to put both in. What I am saying is that don't take a V-6 engine add a induction system
to get the larger HP since it will put stress on the engine that is not designed for that stress and wear it out quicker. Get larger engine to start with.

Actually there are cases where people have done that and they do work just not as well.
That I would like to see. Without the belt to turn the lobes on the supercharger, there is not way get the air into the engine.

The simple fact is your then depending on two factors that will grow weaker with age and wear out.
Well shoot I have that problem myself. I am getting weaker with age and am wearing out........at least that is what my wife tells me.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

I totally agree with that. Yes, I certainly do not expect Dodge to put both in. What I am saying is that don't take a V-6 engine add a induction system
to get the larger HP since it will put stress on the engine that is not designed for that stress and wear it out quicker. Get larger engine to start with.
Okay, we agree here. I still prefer displacement over forced air induction because even on a larger and stronger built engine it is going to make it age faster nevertheless, but if that is what your planning on doing with yours, more power to you (literally).

That I would like to see. Without the belt to turn the lobes on the supercharger, there is not way get the air into the engine.
A mechanic told me about this. They have alternate valve routes for this. Superchargers work kind of like MDS systems, they provide power on demand or in this case boost on demand. The supercharged cars I have ridden in and driven will have no boost if your feathering it or cruising. It isn't until you press for it to engage. Although the engine is spinning the pulley at all times, it isn't really doing anything until the system engages it.
The simple fact is your then depending on two factors that will grow weaker with age and wear out.
Well shoot I have that problem myself. I am getting weaker with age and am wearing out........at least that is what my wife tells me.
LOL! Well in this case, we were made superior to cars that if we work ourselves harder we age better. My Grandparents walk at least four miles a day in a dusty, gravel, hilly road, and do physical labor on their farm and their in the upper 70s. They have better endurance than many of my cousins do. I'll tell you they are so stubborn that when we went to a baseball game at the "new" baseball stadium the person taking the tickets suggested to them that they could take the elevator to their seats since they are senior citizens. Boy, my Grandmother was furious at such a suggestion. That's the secret, basically work yourself to your potential and that should curb the aging issue.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 03-16-2008, 09:23 AM

Well RLSH I hope that holds true for my Hemi ram man, cause then I'll have the thing till im 70
My grandpa the same way man he's 80 now and still chops his own wood.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:56 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: RLSH700
A mechanic told me about this. They have alternate valve routes for this. Superchargers work kind of like MDS systems, they provide power on demand or in this case boost on demand. The supercharged cars I have ridden in and driven will have no boost if your feathering it or cruising. It isn't until you press for it to engage. Although the engine is spinning the pulley at all times, it isn't really doing anything until the system engages it.

Reply:
On the belt driven chargers there is a relief valve that simply doesn't allow any boost until the PCM sees a certain throttle angle. The supercharger is just "freewheeling". When the PCM shuts the valve this allows the charger to build boost to whatever level is intended. Unlike Mel Gibson in "The Road Warrior" I haven't seen anything where the belt can be stopped and started with a switch,lol. A lot of the rice rockets have a "blow off" valve which is essentially the samething and operates in the same manner only it is allowed to have an audible "hiss" when relieving pressure. These are turbocharged but also must have a way to relieve pressure so the turbo isn't damaged.