Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

The Joy of Six

Old 09-17-2008, 05:39 AM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Joy of Six

http://blogs.motortrend.com/6283156/...six/index.html

2009 Dodge Challenger SRT 8: The Joy of Six
2009 Dodge Challenger SRT 8: The Joy of Six
Posted Today 05:01 AM by Matt Stone
Filed under: Editorial, Maximum Strength Car Talk, Dodge, Supercars

Drove the 6-speed manual tranny Challenger SRT 8 home last night. All I can say is "What a difference a clutch makes."

You know the Challenger is an MT fave. But so far, most of our experience has been limited to the 2008 1/2 SRT 8 with the 5-speed automatic, which as you know, was the only powertrain combo offered at launch. The other variants are beginning to trickle out with the MY '09 Challengers, and this was my first stab at one.

Ah, three metal-trimmed pedals, where before there were only two. A modern version of the old Hurst "Pistol grip" shifter, now with six forward ratios as compared to four, back in the day. Although automatics have improved a bunch, the Challenger's 5-speed automatic dims the car's driving experience for me. It works well enough and the ratios are fine, but it has no sport mode, and the manual mode comes with Chrysler's silly side-to-side manual shifter gate. No paddles either. The Tremec 6-speed manny tranny fixes all.

Clutch take up is just right, and super smooth. The ratios are close together so you can keep the 6.1 liter Hemi on boil, which is good because these motors love to rev. Take it to redline, back off, enjoy the burble. Snap off a hard 1-2 shift, and chirp the 20-inch rubber. Heel and toe the perfect downshift. Oh look: We're driving now, using all four extremities to manage the machine.

Sure, this car is old school, but it's darn sophisticated old school. It rides nice and grips well. The chassis is solid. The seats grip, and there's good stuff underneath like big Brembo brakes and forged alloys. She's a bit heavy, and there are a few cheapo plastic bits. But the stuff that counts is right.

For musclecar fans, these are the good old days. 600+ horse Vettes and Vipers. Challenger, the new Camaro, and an updated Mustang on the way. AMG Benzes, which are really muscle monsters in designer suits. Smoke 'em while we got 'em.

SRT 8 6-speed test numbers, coming up.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:54 AM

Default RE: The Joy of Six

Thanks for post as this is really good info. There has been some concern about how well the Tremec would be in the Challenger. I for you, am happy as a clam about getting my hands on some good ol gear banging high HP muscle!
Old 09-17-2008, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

I thought it was a good article as well and am encouraged by this 6 speed tremec and like the close gearing I am reading about.

The automatic I have been reading about seems to drop out when shifting to 3rd gear, that is not good.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:38 PM

Ahhhhh! The crisp refreshing taste of 6 speed goodness!