Notices
Dodge Challenger R/T Threads specific to the Dodge Challenger R/T should be placed here.

R/T six speed needs 91 Octane?

Old 11-16-2008, 04:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R/T six speed needs 91 Octane?

I did something odd. I read the owners manual to my car yesterday. The owners manual recomends 89 octane for the automatic and 91 for the 6 speed cars. The dealer never mentioned this and nothing is indicated in the fueling area as to what the required fuel (octane) should be. Frankly I have been running regular with no noticeable pinging. What are you six speed owners putting in your tank?
Old 11-16-2008, 04:38 AM

Default RE: R/T six speed needs 91 Octane?

Nothing but Chevron 91 Supreme will ever flow through the Black Beast, per recommendation of the sharpest automotive technician in captivity.......
Old 11-16-2008, 03:43 PM

I have owned my new R/T 6 speed 8 day's now. I started out with Prem. by Marathon and Chevron . But have been putting plus in the last few day's from them . Run's great . Did a 3/4 donut today . Was looking at a Challenger R/T at a small dealer in a town . Went to pull out and a car came around a slight curve from down town doing at least 60 in a 35. I punched the go pedal and turned left as I was pulling out in the road. The rear of the Challenger Came around spinning the tire's and the ESP was on. It's been awhiile since I had something with this much power . And that was a Black Buick GS Stage 1 455 cu inch big block. Good time's are here again. The 71 Challenger R/T 340 I had new was quick and fast . But this new Challenger R/T is great. And the sound could not be better. Vanishing Point had just hit the drive in's when I had the med green with white stripe's down the side 71 R/T . When I pulled into the drive in with that car. People surranded it to look it over . About the same with this 09 . When I get out and when I go to get back in. Thanks Dodge for reviving the Challenger R/T .
Old 11-17-2008, 09:52 AM

http://toptiergas.com/

Conoco 91 here.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:00 AM

That would be the minor advantage of living at my high altitude. I can get away with lower octane, but I lose the horsepower either way due to the same reason. High altitude, lower octane since it equals about the same, high altitude, lower hp.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:38 AM

Unfortunately, it does not sound like any of you guys have access to 93 octane. I seem to recall hearing some where that 93 is only available in the Northeast. Don't quote me on that, but for some reason I believe that to be the case. 93 is going for about $2.50 per gallon these days here in the Boston area.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:44 AM

ORIGINAL: Albeeno

Unfortunately, it does not sound like any of you guys have access to 93 octane. I seem to recall hearing some where that 93 is only available in the Northeast.
So there are four grades of fuel in the Northeast or just three grades with 93 being the highest? 91 is the highest here. Then 89 and 87.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:27 PM

only shell 93 ! BP 93 is the backup!
Old 11-19-2008, 03:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They suggest the higher octane to get the best performance from the car. The knock sensor will retard timing and will prevent the car from predetonation. Add the 91-93 and you get all the ponies. Add the 89 and timing is cut as to knock that is detected. Its all about compression. They are right at the edge of whats acceptable with todays high test. More compression more HP... but you need fuel with retardents to keep the heat of compression from igniting before the spark plug fires. So use the 89 but when you really need the go pedal use 91-93.. All the cars I own I have to use high test. I even have a car with 8 to 1 compression, but its turboed and the same principal applies.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:14 PM

hey albeeno where have you been.... no wonder i dont have my challenger yet... looks like you have my deep water blue ride or is that B5 blue?... oh and to stay on topic... that is why god created octane booster

Quick Reply: R/T six speed needs 91 Octane?