Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

Manual for Challenger waits until '09

Old 03-10-2008, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual for Challenger waits until '09

Manual for Challenger waits until '09

The initial production run of 7,100 2008 Dodge Challenger SRTs will have a five-speed automatic transmission and a 6.1-liter Hemi V8.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By BRADFORD WERNLE, AUTOMOTIVE NEWS

Driving enthusiasts who want a Dodge Challenger with a manual gearbox will have to wait.

All 7,100 2008 Challenger SRTs--the initial production run--will be equipped with a five-speed automatic transmission and a 6.1-liter Hemi V8 engine.

The powertrain cranks out a tire-smoking 435 hp and 420 pounds-feet of torque.

Company and industry sources provided a peek at the Challenger's equipment. More information will be available at the New York auto show next week.

The six-speed manual gearbox, a Tremec 6060, will not be available until the 2009 Challengers arrive later this year. The Tremec box is a modified version of the same 2008 Dodge Viper SRT10 unit.

The first production Challenger will be built April 14 at Chrysler LLC's Brampton, Ontario, plant, according to a Canadian Auto Workers official who declined to be identified.

To stoke excitement for the retro muscle car, Dodge has adopted an unusual rollout plan.

Chrysler usually introduces the SRT performance versions of its vehicles only after it has rolled out the high-volume version. But with the Challenger, the SRT comes first in the short 2008 run, with the lower-priced units arriving for the 2009 model year.

Also in the 2009 model year, Dodge will offer a lower-priced version with a 3.6-liter V-6.

By offering a V-6, Chrysler has decided to go toe-to-toe with its rivals, the Ford Mustang and Chevrolet Camaro, to appeal to a wider audience.

AutoWeek | Updated: 03/10/08, 10:01 am et

Article URL: http://autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...FREE/240295447
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Manual for Challenger waits until '09

Either these guys hired the same people who have edited MT for years, or Chrysler is upping the bar. If the 435 hp is accurate, it might just be what we've been waiting for (functional air-scoop), but I'm not going to hold my breathe. Also a 3.6L? Either this means they are going to provide the new Phoenix engine line now and take everyone by surprise, or they need a new editor to look at their articles before they post them on the Internet.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 03-11-2008, 06:51 AM

I know that there are Chrysler employee's who have Phoenix engines in there fast feedback company cars but from what I understand they are full of bugs and must be taken in to CTC monthly for check ups.... I can't see that engine coming out for the '09 Challenger.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: 66Cuda

I know that there are Chrysler employee's who have Phoenix engines in there fast feedback company cars but from what I understand they are full of bugs and must be taken in to CTC monthly for check ups.... I can't see that engine coming out for the '09 Challenger.
That sums up my beliefs. I seriously doubt that they would have the Phoenix engine out this early. The editors must be doing a sloppy job when they type their numbers.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 03-11-2008, 03:11 PM

ORIGINAL: RLSH700

Either these guys hired the same people who have edited MT for years, or Chrysler is upping the bar. If the 435 hp is accurate, it might just be what we've been waiting for (functional air-scoop), but I'm not going to hold my breathe. Also a 3.6L? Either this means they are going to provide the new Phoenix engine line now and take everyone by surprise, or they need a new editor to look at their articles before they post them on the Internet.
I would have to agree with the latter RLSH, they most likely mistyped. Unless Dodge bored out the 3.5 a .1 liter and added 10 hp to they 6.5L, which I doubt. Either way, I am hoping for the phoenix V6 to come quickly.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:08 PM

...and I thought it was 6400 08 models being produced - this article says 7100. [&:]

I sure wish someone could make up my mind about this...
Old 03-11-2008, 05:32 PM

at least they are closer than what most dealers think. Dealers range from the hundreds to the 10's of thousands, lol
Old 03-12-2008, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: joeyr

ORIGINAL: RLSH700

I would have to agree with the latter RLSH, they most likely mistyped. Unless Dodge bored out the 3.5 a .1 liter and added 10 hp to they 6.5L, which I doubt. Either way, I am hoping for the phoenix V6 to come quickly.
They wouldn't increase the displacement on the 3.5L and leaving at that with such a small increase. I believe you mean 10hp to the 6.1L. I hear you on hoping for the Phoenix engine to come out soon. They need it badly.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts