Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

Models come equipped with new gimmicks

Old 04-05-2007, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Models come equipped with new gimmicks

Chicago Tribune

Models come equipped with new gimmicks

Jim Mateja

April 5, 2007

NEW YORK -- Whether it is the fastest, safest, biggest, smallest or most fuel-efficient car, you still need a gimmick to lure folks into the showroom.

Infiniti has got one and is using the New York Auto Show to unveil it in the EX concept, a compact crossover that will join the lineup at the end of this year as a companion to the FX.

Its gimmick? The Around View Monitor. Using the navigation system screen, cameras mounted in the grille, sideview mirrors and rear roof provide a 360-degree look at what is up front, along the sides and in back when parking.

"It won't park itself like that other guy, but it will let you park faster," said Nissan spokesman Kyle Bazemore, referring to the Lexus LS460 sedan that does park on its own.

Anyone who has attempted the Lexus system, however, learns preparing to park while reading the sensor locations, pushing all the buttons and turning all the dials before letting go of the wheel, and repeating the steps after you miss the curb by 6 feet the first few tries, takes a lot more time than tossing the key to the valet and being done with it.

The EX also offers a liquid-crystal glass roof that can change from transparent to translucent at the touch of button.

With the Chevy Camaro and Dodge Challenger muscle cars coming soon, Ford is pushing speed. It is preparing a new Mustang derivative for next spring, the 2008 Shelby GT500KR, inspired by the 1968 Mustang KR, with a 5.4-liter, 540-horsepower, supercharged V-8, hood scoops, twist-down hood pins and front air dam. Only 1,000 will be sold with numbered 40th-anniversary dash plaques for collectors.

"Ford is concerned about Camaro and Challenger and needs more Mustang derivatives to take them on," said Art Spinella, general manager of CNW Marketing Research. "We've heard the next version of the Mustang convertible is going to be a retractable hardtop for that reason, and because people have become so noise and security conscious."

At Jeep, the gimmick is the MyGIG multimedia system arriving this fall in the redesigned Grand Cherokee after first appearing in the Dodge Avenger and Chrysler Sebring sedans. It comes with navigation, audio, entertainment and communication systems. It can store 1,600 songs and show real-time traffic, including accidents ahead. And the entertainment portion includes the first application of satellite TV in the Grand Cherokee, so the kids can watch the Disney Channel or Nickelodeon. Other new options are heated first- and second-row seats and self-leveling headlamps.

Gadgets aside, the compact Liberty gets an overhaul this fall.

As head of vehicle design, Trevor Creed lets curves and creases do his talking.

So it wasn't surprising that it took him only a few words to explain why the Liberty hasn't fared as well as the automaker had hoped.

"It went soft. It lost its Jeepness. We're putting it back," he said. "In the future, Compass will be the 'soft' Jeep for us," he said of the compact crossover built at Belvidere.

The compact Dodge Nitro shares platforms with Liberty, but Nitro is more rugged, and 60 percent of its buyers are men looking for adventure. Liberty demographics are the opposite; 60 percent of its buyers are females looking for something cute that is easy to park.

In addition to a more rugged design, the 2008 Liberty will feature a power canvas Sky Slider top that opens over the front or back seat or both, remote start and rain-sensing wipers. And it comes with 18-inch, all-season radials, Hill Descent control to keep the vehicle from rolling too fast downhill when off-roading, Hill Start to keep it from rolling when started and trailer-sway control that applies the brakes when it detects the trailer you're hauling is wiggling on the road.

Finally, with gas prices
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Models come equipped with new gimmicks

The trend in the market is to offer more and more gimmicks and more power. The new 4.7L is supposed to be more fuel efficient than the old one. I have also heard that this Toyota/Lexus 5.7L is more fuel efficient due to the technology being offered in it.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts