Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

Motor Trend rates Challenger SRT over Shelby GT

Old 06-02-2008, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Motor Trend rates Challenger SRT over Shelby GT

Albeeno,

I agree, the gt with 500hp is a bit quicker. I would like to see these same performance tests with the factory headers & cold air intake just to see the comparison with about 20 more ponies. The car performs very well with much more weight and 75 fewer ponies. That is of course if tests were stock for both cars.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:06 PM

ford uses FI because it uses smaller displacement. so in mind the FI is null here because yes it is supercharged but the challenger also have .7 displacement on it. and back in 2000 when ford made the cobra r it put out 386hp/tq i believe so it does no need FI its just easier to do. also ford is rumored to bring the boss 302 back out with a 5.0 that has 425 hp. now that is not supercharged and has a full liter less displacement and makes the same power as the srt.

i do agree that after the 6 speed comes out the two cars will be too close to go on performance. i think the real comparison should be which has more real world power/times. with your basic driving what will they do. i believe the challenger will win here because it is easier to drive a N/A than a FI imo. so the challenger should win a lot of everyday driver races.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I understand the arguement on both sdes. Small displacement FI and large displacement NA. But at least Dodge has put the R&D into the bigger engines. I just read what they did with the 5.7 and the improvements were quite extensive. From the intake to the free flowing heads. VVT and more agressive cam. Dodge could simply and I reinerate simply put a supercharger on it and made the easy horsepower. So if you are a Ford guy, sorry but that the easy way out. They need to put some time and effort into it. Leave the FI for the aftermarket. You won't change my mind about it, path of least resistance for Ford. I love superchargers don't get me wrong. Turbos are awsome and I love the performance. But it should be left up to the aftermarket and thats just my take on it. Lazy engineers at Ford... nuff said.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:42 PM

o i agree that ford took the easy way out and i believe they need to get bigger displacement. also rumors about a 5.8(351). that will be great.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:30 PM

It's not like you can just drop a supercharger on a motor and say "There ya go, have fun". well ok...you can to a certain extent but reliability becomes an issue. Without proper engineering that motor will blow itself up in no time. For starters the cam profile has to be tuned, airflow and fuel delivery has to be modified, rotating assembly has to be strengthened, etc. etc. etc. I don't believe it is any cheaper or easier to design a motor around a supercharger than to design a motor around n/a. The two companies have different philosophies and I think it's great that the debate continues.... the consumer always wins!

And for the price of a CAI and header kit that one might buy for the Challenger, a new pulley can be purchased for the Shelby that will easily give it 600hp.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:06 PM

Upgrade rotating assembly for 2400.00 plus labor
upgrade roataing assembly to 426ci for 3400.00 plus labor

I cant wait
Old 06-04-2008, 07:01 AM

I really love both cars and to me it's just great that we have both these cars to even have a debate. A few years ago that wasn't so. The facts are this though(at least at this point): A manual trans will help the Challenger for sure but only a couple of tenths and maybe 1 or 2 mph maximum. The truth is today's automatics are much more efficient than anything made 40 years ago so not much is lost. The significant part of the acceleration stats is the fact that the Shelby was a full 6 mph higher in trap speed plus a 1/2 sec quicker. If you have done any drag racing that is a no contest. Again, just making the statement, not waving the flag. There really isn't any surprise here, The Shelby has more HP and is a little lighter, IT SHOULD BE FASTER. The Challenger simply needs more HP to be competitive here. No amount of debating can change that. But.......if you were to add the exhaust(headers/cat back), CAI and a flash it would be a driver's race. Of course as was mentioned above a pulley and CAI on the Shelby will dramatically increase it's HP(been there, seen it). Now, when we move to ride quality/interior space, etc, the Challenger wins hands down, definitely more livable. Looks are subjective of course but the Challenger IMHO is just a beautiful car. The Shelby is also but at this point I really want the Challenger so this will be what I purchase. If we see a 6.4L Challenger with 500hp then you will have some equality. I am hoping it will happen before the CAFE rules bite down......................
Old 06-04-2008, 07:27 AM

I would like to nominate this for the Post of the Day Award. 1971Chall called it right down the middle and I have to say I agree with everything s/he said.
ORIGINAL: 1971Chall

I really love both cars and to me it's just great that we have both these cars to even have a debate. A few years ago that wasn't so. The facts are this though(at least at this point): A manual trans will help the Challenger for sure but only a couple of tenths and maybe 1 or 2 mph maximum. The truth is today's automatics are much more efficient than anything made 40 years ago so not much is lost. The significant part of the acceleration stats is the fact that the Shelby was a full 6 mph higher in trap speed plus a 1/2 sec quicker. If you have done any drag racing that is a no contest. Again, just making the statement, not waving the flag. There really isn't any surprise here, The Shelby has more HP and is a little lighter, IT SHOULD BE FASTER. The Challenger simply needs more HP to be competitive here. No amount of debating can change that. But.......if you were to add the exhaust(headers/cat back), CAI and a flash it would be a driver's race. Of course as was mentioned above a pulley and CAI on the Shelby will dramatically increase it's HP(been there, seen it). Now, when we move to ride quality/interior space, etc, the Challenger wins hands down, definitely more livable. Looks are subjective of course but the Challenger IMHO is just a beautiful car. The Shelby is also but at this point I really want the Challenger so this will be what I purchase. If we see a 6.4L Challenger with 500hp then you will have some equality. I am hoping it will happen before the CAFE rules bite down......................
Old 06-04-2008, 11:58 AM

Thanks Albeeno. I like the passion around some of these posts. It shows me that people are really interested in the car(s) and seeing them(better yet DRIVING them) on the road. If there are no enthusiast's then there is no reason to have these cars. The bean counters will gladly make bland, tiny cars with no personality for everyone to drive around in. I really love the Challenger and despite some concessions made in the interest of production it still meets and/or exceeds what I hoped for. With the new models and options for 2009 it should give everybody(that likes it anyway) even more reason to enjoy it. Can't wait for the Camaro to make it's appearance just to see what it will bring to the table. We all know tehre will be a 3 way shoot out between the Mustang/Camaro/Challenger. How many years has it been since that happened? Competiton should improve the breed so I say bring it on!
Old 06-04-2008, 06:00 PM

o man now i cant make my mind up. should i buy a srt8 now or should i wait till the 6.4 comes out?

Quick Reply: Motor Trend rates Challenger SRT over Shelby GT