Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

NASCAR Busch Series may switch to muscle cars

Old 09-17-2007, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NASCAR Busch Series may switch to muscle cars

NASCAR Busch Series may switch to muscle cars
Filed under: Motorsports, Coupes, Sports/GTs, Chevrolet, Dodge, Ford, Toyota
Many lament the days when stock cars were actually based on production cars, rather than the new NASCAR Nextel Cup Car of Tomorrow vehicles that merely wear stickers bearing the headlights and grille of their production counterparts. While production-based stock cars will likely never happen again, word is that the NASCAR Busch Series will switch to cars based on the Ford Mustang, Chevy Camaro, Dodge Challenger and yet-to-be-determined model from Toyota as soon as the 2009 season.

Thanks for the tip, John R.

[Source: SpeedTV]Continue reading NASCAR Busch Series may switch to muscle cars
Old 09-17-2007, 08:35 PM

Default RE: NASCAR Busch Series may switch to muscle cars

That is what racing is all about..... stock cars... ah the good old days.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ahhh a rear wheel drive Toyota sedan, as rare as the doe doe bird Good thinking NASCAR, take it back to the good old 70s. Use the actual cars and production engines. That would make me want to be there on Saturdays and skip Nextel cup decal twins on Sunday. Let the cars be not so high tech, let the drivers use talent to win races and not money.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:37 AM
Super Moderator

IROC still around? As in Daytona!

That was really a novel approach to determining a racer's driving acumen. And if it's a Mopar selected again, a good car wins every race!

Seriously though, mustn't there be an undeniable cacophonous din emanating from NASCAR fans discernible from the deafest ears of NASCAR execs hungry to attract new and retain existing fans to the sport. Isn't that the original appeal of NASCAR anyway? For one to project themselves in fantasy into one of the cars competing. "I'm driving in essence the same car as the winner of that race" Nothing sells the illusion like real cars.....

As far as rear wheel vs. front wheel, I'd say post no limitations. As I understand it (since I've never raced I can't state for certain) rear wheel drive cars handle better in racing scenarios; but, I also know that back in the day you'd never see a front wheel drive vehicle at the drag and now a days the tuners with their fart cars (in homage to the noise of those odd exhaust systems) are at the drag, so maybe there's enough talent for those who can win w/ front wheel drive. Regardless, I'd like to see someone, race production cars and win true bragging rights.

One could argue it all started to go down hill when NASCAR outlawed the HEMI as opposed to coming up with a more creative approach to level the playing field and retain all those GM/FORD fans.

Old 09-18-2007, 05:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sad, but not a production engine to be found in NASCAR. All are high strung racing engines. Each made and approved by NASCAR. I remember the days of the 426 HEMI and the 427 FORDS, 427 Chevies and 400 Pontiacs. Now you have to go to the small town tracks to see small blocks from each manufactuer compete on weekends. Also the racing team with the most cars and money will more than likely win the race. They have more cars to use and find that tracks best set up for that day. If they don't do something to allow the driver to show some talent as well as brand loyalty, then it will finally fizzle. People love to loud talk and its fun to give and recieve. Its how we have fun with our friends and family members. You rib one another about the race and its all good.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:52 AM

I'd love to see production cars on the track again. SCCA and NHRA do it pretty well and so should NASCAR. I've heard this rumor about NASCAR busch series and I think it's got some legs. We'll see.
My guess is that you certainly see "production" type Challengers in SCCA and NHRA!
Old 09-26-2007, 09:49 AM

^^ I agree. And I can't wait to hear about the new Toyota model. I am a big fan of Toyota's
Old 09-27-2007, 02:48 AM

I gotta ask, Indigo: Where did you get your avitar? It drove me crazy the first several posts of yours I saw -- I thought a damn bug was on my screen. It's great!
Old 09-27-2007, 12:41 PM

lol. I found it in the siggy of a "friend" on another forum i frequent. It drove me a bit mad at first too! Feel free to save him and use it so that you can imagine people swatting at their computer screens!
Old 10-03-2007, 08:52 AM

yesssssssssssssssssss for years i have been watchin nascar hoping to get to see the new muscle cars come back[sm=americanasmiley.gif][sm=goodidea.gif][sm=happybounce.gif]

Quick Reply: NASCAR Busch Series may switch to muscle cars