Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

The New Chrysler Website

Old 08-08-2007, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The New Chrysler Website

ORIGINAL: Yankee

Great to hear from an actual Chrysler representative, it's nice to know SOMEONE is out there listening to the customers

Many of us here probably already have heard these questions asked before, but if you could answer these questions, or at least elaborate. We've heard all sorts of rumors, but hopefully you can either confirm or deny them at least.

- When the Challenger debuts, what engines and transmissions will be available? We've heard only the V8s will be available at first. Is this true? If so, when will a V6 become available? In case you don't know by now, many of us here would like an actual honest-to-god 6-speed manual transmission (with clutch and all), at least as an option. Sorry, the "autostick" just won't do.

- What will be different from the concept and the production car? Will the "6-shooter" lights surrounding the high-beam headlights actually see production? (and by the way... what are those lights actually for? For looks? Daytime running lights? I think they're way cool, don't misunderstand... but so far no one here has been able to state their actual purpose, if they even have one).

- Do you have any idea of an actual MSRP? While we're talking MSRP, please do what you can to advise Dodge dealers NOT to do what Pontiac dealers did when the GTO came out - ridiculous markups, Fort Knox-style security around them, not allowing test drives without a substantial deposit... you get the idea. I know the initial attention will be enormous, but most people that want these cars are simple folk like myself, so please don't allow the dealers to get greedy (well, TOO greedy) and price it beyond our means.

We're ready for this car, Sean. Any more info that you're allowed to throw our way would be greatly appreciated.
I'll do my best...here goes.

1. Engines and Transmissions: 5.7-liter or SRT-engineered 6.1-liter HEMIŽ V-8 engines coupled to either a five-speed manual transmission or five-speed automatic transmission with Auto Stick

2. The New Challenger is what "most people see in their mind's eye- a vehicle without the limitations of the original." That's about the best I can do without getting into the specifics.

3. Chrysler is not releasing any information about the MSRP or Production details of the car. What I can tell you is that they have made every effort to get the input of enthusiasts and consumers regarding the release of the Challenger and are very aware of pricing and availability concerns.

I'm sorry if these seem vague. But things will start to get clearer the closer to the beginning of 2008 we get. The Challenger is slated as a MY 2008 car with a release in CY 2008. I'll make sure to relay any additional information that becomes available.

- Sean T.

P.S. You guys better be ready, because this car is going to be SWEET.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:54 PM

Thanks for the info you provided, Sean, but one engine question remains: When will a 6-cylinder model be available?
Old 08-08-2007, 04:11 PM

Cool, thanks for the responses, Sean. One teeny tiny quibble, though. While the availability of an actual manual transmission is great news... a 5-speed? [sm=dontgetit.gif] I understand beggars can't be choosers... but hopefully a proper 6-speed manual isn't out of the question soon, especially since the Corvette has had one since 1989.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator

Hey, long time no see, Sean T. Any chance that an engine more powerful than the 6.1L might be offered, perhaps a 6.4L? I want to completely smoke GT500s everytime I see one. I want this as Mercedes-free as possible (i.e. lose the Mercedes transmissions). Also, offer soft-touch materials on the dash. Looks classier and feels great. Offer a six-speed manual at least if not a 6-speed auto. Match your competition if not set a higher benchmark. Offer some brighter interior colors (perhaps cream) and darker exterior colors (I don't like bright yellow or green). Offer more classic styled rims, and possibly smaller ones (the 20 inchers don't look right at all on a classic model like that, it looks like it has been "pimped," too much lavish). A V6 should be offered as well as a convertible model. Use the 4.0L V6.

Okay, I can't resist the opportunity to say this. Performance has made many new models successful, so why not add performance to the Avenger. It looks good, but 235hp on an R/T? Come on, at least offer the full 250hp H.O. of the 3.5L offered in the Charger, if not offer the 4.0L for a model that could give Nissan, Toyota (still feels strange to say that), Pontiac, and Mazda some decent competition for the first time in this segment since the Spirit R/T.

Happy to see the Pentastar back and Chrysler instead of DAIMLERchrysler. Don't be a stranger, visit more often.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 08-09-2007, 05:54 AM

ORIGINAL: RLSH700

Hey, long time no see, Sean T. Any chance that an engine more powerful than the 6.1L might be offered, perhaps a 6.4L? I want to completely smoke GT500s everytime I see one. I want this as Mercedes-free as possible (i.e. lose the Mercedes transmissions). Also, offer soft-touch materials on the dash. Looks classier and feels great. Offer a six-speed manual at least if not a 6-speed auto. Match your competition if not set a higher benchmark. Offer some brighter interior colors (perhaps cream) and darker exterior colors (I don't like bright yellow or green). Offer more classic styled rims, and possibly smaller ones (the 20 inchers don't look right at all on a classic model like that, it looks like it has been "pimped," too much lavish). A V6 should be offered as well as a convertible model. Use the 4.0L V6.

Okay, I can't resist the opportunity to say this. Performance has made many new models successful, so why not add performance to the Avenger. It looks good, but 235hp on an R/T? Come on, at least offer the full 250hp H.O. of the 3.5L offered in the Charger, if not offer the 4.0L for a model that could give Nissan, Toyota (still feels strange to say that), Pontiac, and Mazda some decent competition for the first time in this segment since the Spirit R/T.

Happy to see the Pentastar back and Chrysler instead of DAIMLERchrysler. Don't be a stranger, visit more often.
Sorry guys. What I posted is the best I can do right now. I suspect you will begin to see more information about trims and specifics the closer to the launch we get. In the mean time if any information is passed my way, I'll be sure to forward it along to you.

- Sean T.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:53 AM

I understand that there can be only so much let out because Chrysler is afraid of Ford and Chevy coming back and trying to beat the Challenger with this and that, but my question is why is there really no advertising on it? Why is there no teaser trailers or anything like that on TV, or even in movie theaters? Something to get people's interests going, even though I'm sure it's pretty high now, but I can't believe how many people I've heard go to the Transformers movie and talk about wanting a Camaro even if they haven't even heard of it before, the new one that is. This is the kind of hype that I would hope Chrysler would do, but unfortunately it seems pretty disappointing right now.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:29 AM

These are really exciting times. The info provided by Sean T. just made this old Soldier very happy. I've waited a long time for this, I'm just too excited.

Thx Sean T.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:35 AM

Thanks Sean...I am happy to hear the 6.1L at least confirmed. I would expect the 6.1 to get an SRT badge and the 5.7 an R/T badge similar to Charger.

We appreciate the info & most of us will be camping out in front of our local dealerships to get the first one. Forget the Ipod...bring on the Challenger!!

[8D]