Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

Plug pulled on UK Challenger

Old 09-14-2007, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plug pulled on UK Challenger

So here is the reason for not going to Europe.

Plug pulled on UK Challenger

Dodge's retro Challenger won't make it across the pond
15th September 2007

There’s disappointment ahead for UK muscle car fans – the next Dodge Challenger isn’t coming here after all. The new owner of the US brand, Cerberus Capital Management, has decided to ditch plans for transatlantic sales.

The retro-style coupé will be sold only in North America – and in strictly limited numbers. The decision overturns plans drawn up by previous owner Chrysler to export the Challenger to the UK. Sources at Dodge blame cost-cutting for the turnaround, as the marque is coming to terms with losses last year of a staggering £750million.
It’s not all bad news for UK fans, though. If you can live with left-hand drive, personal imports are still a possibility. Although the 2008 model, inspired by the 1970 original, is still officially at the concept stage, a production car is to be unveiled at the Chicago Motor Show in February, and US sales are set to begin shortly afterwards.

Under the long bonnet lies a 6.4-litre V8 engine pushing out a massive 505bhp. However, capacity may be increased to 7.0 litres in order to compete with Chevrolet’s Corvette and Ford’s Mustang.

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Plug pulled on UK Challenger

Someone needs to explain to these people that you have to spend money to make money. Chrysler has cost cut about all they could cost cut, now they need to reinvest to sell these models elsewhere. Now why are they making a reverence to the Corvette? Perhaps the writer meant the Camaro because the Challenger is not a Corvette competitor.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 09-16-2007, 02:50 AM

I honestly didn't see the UK clamoring for this type of car anyway, it really isn't their "cup of tea", so to speak, save for perhaps a very select few.

I still get nervous when I see this "produced in very limited numbers", though - such consequences have been discussed to death here... guess we'll see what really happens when the car is (finally) introduced.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

Perhaps not for the UK, but the Aussies on the other hand would love a car like this. They love muscle cars.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 09-17-2007, 04:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They do, they do. They are more car crazy than we are. And thats saying alot. Thats where I would move if I can't live here..... Mate!
Old 09-17-2007, 06:28 AM

I would not lose all hope for them. If traction in the U.S. holds then the new company might feel more comfortable expanding to other markets. Let's face it...they have to succeed here 1st.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

The only thing is they are passing up on a golden opportunity by ignoring the Aussies. The Australian market is potentially a more safe market than even the U.S., they need to build it for both countries, this will help the economies of scale for the things that can be shared between the two. We are now just seeing what amazing cars that GM and Ford are offering over there, just think what could happen if Chrysler would start to be more competitive over there as well. I think that the chances of the Challenger surviving more than one generation will be drastically improved if they decide to sell it over there as well. I want Chrysler to become addicted to Australian sales of muscle cars so then they will not move away from them no matter who is controlling the company.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 09-17-2007, 03:58 PM

Let me apply some simple math to Australia & take nothing away from their general love for American muscle. Let's assume these numbers are accurate (I just googled it)

Population:Australia
20,090,437 (July 2005 est.)
Age structure:
0-14 years: 19.8% (male:2,038,809; female:1,943,563)
15-64 years: 67.2% (male:6,815,600; female:6,695,189)
65 years and over: 12.9% (male:1,145,274; female:1,452,002) (2005)

Population:USA
295,734,134 (July 2005 est.)
Age structure:
0-14 years: 20.6% (male:31,095,725; female:29,703,997)
15-64 years: 67% (male:98,914,382; female:99,324,126)
65 years and over: 12.4% (male:15,298,676; female:21,397,228) (2005)

Obviously the market opportunity is well over 10 times that of Australia. Hey, I'd love the whole world to get one but let's start here and build the base.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator

There is more to this than just population, awsure. You also have to remember the audience. Detroit currently holds only around 50% of the U.S. market and it is continuing to drop. The American's love for muscle cars is very seasonal; however, the Australian's love for American muscle is pretty consistent. Holden had V8s cars consistently during the fuel crisis eras and Ford was bring V8 model cars in Australia when they were too busy getting rid of them over here and unlike Ford's V8 car offerings besides the Mustang (the Crown Vic) these were actually performance orientated. Plus, we can thank the Australians for the fact that we even had the 04-06 GTO and the upcoming G8 and Camaro as these are on the same line as the Holden Commodore.

Correct me if I am wrong, but is the real reason why you don't want them to sell it in Australia or anywhere else is you are concerned that it will drive the price up on the Challenger at home? I would say that if they sell this internationally, it will lower the chance that it will be a limited production run and help keep the price lower.

There are countries that it might not make sense to sell this kind of car equipped like this, in like say Russia, but I belive if they were to offer this car in Europe equipped with the right type of engines, it could potentially succeed. In the European market, it would naturally need a diesel offering as they like diesels. It might make sense to keep the Challenger in Europe to be a limited production model, but I believe if they sell it in these other countries, it will help the chances of the Challenger being an affordable mainstream car.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 09-17-2007, 09:06 PM

No I do not believe it would raise the price to sell more units internationally...just the opposite in fact. Overall, the more units made I think the lower the overall unit cost as economies of scale kick in with regard to the parts supplied most directly. I agree with you that a broader base would keep prices down.

You mention the audience & that is precisely my point. I just can't see a major reason to go after Australia strictly on the numbers & you must admit the corporation is keenly aware of demographics. Not necessarily how many cars will folks buy because you cannot guarantee that. You can however look at how many folks are there in the right age group, gender, economic situation, etc... likely to buy the car. You start to peel apart the Australia market numbers & compare to the U.S. it's a no-brainer where to begin.

You are a marketing major right? Let's say you are the marketing director for this new company and put yourself in their shoes right now. You have to make some careful decisions which unfortunately sometimes means your head overrules your heart and caution wins out. I just think wise money says let's prove the car in America and then move to other foreign lands.

I want the Aussies to get Challengers but I understand the decision. It's sensible.

Quick Reply: Plug pulled on UK Challenger