Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

REPORT: 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8 not sold out, but bring your wallet

Old 02-08-2008, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default REPORT: 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8 not sold out, but bring your wallet

REPORT: 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8 not sold out, but bring your wallet
Filed under: Car Buying, Coupes, Sports/GTs, Dodge

click above for more high-res live shots of the 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8

If you're still jonesing for a 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8, there may still be time to buy one. Frank Klegon, VP of product development for Chrysler, told Kicking Tires at the Chicago Auto Show this week that 4,300 Challengers have been sold so far. We take that to be the number of folks who have advanced beyond putting down a deposit and actually proceeded to buy the cars.

Klegon also revealed that an additional 10,000 orders have been placed by dealers for the 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8. Since only 6,400 will be built for the 2008 model year, some simple math tells us that there are 2,100 Challengers headed to dealerships with no customer name on the order. Dealers will no doubt find a use for them as display vehicles if they're not sold (unlikely), but expect to pay a premium for absconding with a dealership's number one window dressing.

Kicking Tires also reports that 2009 Challengers will be available with a 380-hp, 5.7L HEMI V8 sporting cylinder deactivation technology, which we may see at the New York Auto Show in late March. A base model with a V6, however, seems unlikely to appear from what we hear.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:59 AM

Default RE: REPORT: 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8 not sold out, but bring your wallet

ORIGINAL: Paladin06

Kicking Tires also reports that 2009 Challengers will be available with a 380-hp, 5.7L HEMI V8 sporting cylinder deactivation technology, which we may see at the New York Auto Show in late March. A base model with a V6, however, seems unlikely to appear from what we hear.
If the Challenger doesn't offer a V-6, you better get it in '09 because I doubt it will be around to see the 2010 model year. There are simply too many factors working against a car with only a V-8 for it to be a success. And I don't mean just with us -- with the general public.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:19 PM

Default RE: REPORT: 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8 not sold out, but bring your wallet

YES!!!!! 380 horses...GIDDY UP!
Old 02-08-2008, 12:31 PM

That statement says that the car will only survive for 1 1/2 years of production. C'mon. Last time I checked Corvette only comes with a V8 and they have had a pretty nice run. I am not saying a V6 would not contribute positively to a broader appeal and, thus, a longer run. To say that by 2010 it's over is a little much.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:04 PM

I dont think that not having a V6 would kill it either, but if Dodge ever wants to get the mustang base-to-GT model mkt share, which I assume was the goal at the start, they'll need to change their mind or lower their price.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:08 PM

I wonder what the average premium wil be over MSPR for the dealer. I'm guessing they'll want about $20K (or $55-$60K for the car) for a couple months.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:11 PM

Na..even with V8s onlym the car will be around for at least 5 years I'm guessing.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:45 PM

My guess would be that many dealers now are ordering them for stock and selling them when they hit the grounds or just before. They are probably counting sold units as units with a specific buyers name attatched to it for order. Not sure.

If Challenger does decide to do a V-6, a nice Mustang V-6 with the Pony Package (very nice exterior appearance packge) retails in the low 20's.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:56 PM

Why is it every other source says we'll have a V6 option, this one source says "A base model with a V6, however, seems unlikely to appear from what we hear"......and everyone instantly believes that?

There's every indication that a V6 SXT (or similarly named trim level) will be offered in '09, regardless of what THIS one source says.
This car is special, unusual, and Dodge's approach has been likewise. Instead of coming out with the base models first, Dodge lead the reintroduction with the "most beast" they could unleash right from the get-go first. It was intended to get notice and great reviews. It's done both.
Now that the "big'un" has been introduced to the public, the "little brothers/sisters" will be sure to follow closely behind. It only makes economic sense for Dodge to do so.

Old 02-08-2008, 02:12 PM

ORIGINAL: BootCamp

Why is it every other source says we'll have a V6 option, this one source says "A base model with a V6, however, seems unlikely to appear from what we hear"......and everyone instantly believes that?

I guess I'm paranoid. I want this car so bad and I just can't stand the thought of it not making it.

Quick Reply: REPORT: 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8 not sold out, but bring your wallet