Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

SEMA: Dodge Challenger Super Sport Rocks New 392 Hemi

Old 11-01-2006, 10:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SEMA: Dodge Challenger Super Sport Rocks New 392 Hemi

Looks like Chip Foose bought 50 of the 392 Hemi's for his Challenger car project.

SEMA: Dodge Challenger Super Sport Rocks New 392 Hemi

Date posted: 11-01-2006

LAS VEGAS — One of the biggest showstoppers at the SEMA show this week is the Dodge Challenger Super Stock concept, which serves as a double-whammy since it has a new 392 Hemi under the hood.

Mopar and Chrysler Group say next year will mark the 50th anniversary of the legendary 392 Hemi V8, and that's the rationale they give for launching an all-new version.

The engine, which features programmable fuel injection and coil-on-plug technology, is built with all new components and is a complete engine assembly from the throttle body to the oil pan.

Three different versions of the 392 crate engine are available from Mopar, including a carbureted version that generates 540 horses and 490 pound-feet of torque and a SEFI version that generates 525 horses and 510 lb-ft of torque. There is also a 392 long-block Hemi crate engine.

Technical specifications include "plug-and-play" wiring harnesses, forged pistons and a deep-skirted cast-iron block with cross-bolted mains.

Mopar also took the wraps off the Foose Hemisfear powered by a 392 Hemi. The Foose Hemisfear is a rear-engined vehicle that will be hand-built and sold as an unfinished hot-rod kit form by Gaffoflio Family Metalcrafters, a longtime Chrysler Group design partner and Mopar supplier. Customizer Chip Foose purchased 50 of the 392 Hemi crate engines to install in his new kit-car project.

Ford's new Boss engines are rated from 340-500 hp.

The production Dodge Challenger will make its debut as a 2008 model in calendar-year 2008.

What this means to you: Big engines are the name of the game in Detroit these days. OPEC, cops with quotas and muscle fans rejoice.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:26 AM

Default RE: SEMA: Dodge Challenger Super Sport Rocks New 392 Hemi

Wonder if Gary Stanton will build those 392 monsters?
Old 11-11-2006, 11:00 PM
Super Moderator

Well, this picture of the engine is certainly more realistic of what we will see in a production version of the Challenger.

I was wondering where they were hiding all of those hoses. LOL!

The 6.4-liter fuel-injected Hemi in the Super Stock concept utilizes 10.5:1 compression, twin-plug cylinder heads, forged pistons, a forged crankshaft and forged connecting rods to generate 525 horsepower and 510 pound-feet of torque. The engine is available completely assembled, with a plug-and-play wiring harness

[IMG]local://upfiles/17/28FB2A2ADDC1413F805D546B22E9A38C.jpg[/IMG]
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator

I wonder what they all did to it to get out all that extra hp. Just having a 10.5 to 1 vs. a 10.3 to 1 compression ratio and adding 22 more cubics surely wouldn't add 100 hp and 90 ft-lbs of tq. The twin-plugs is standard on all models. I admit I'm not sure what forged crankshafts and forged connection rods do.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 11-13-2006, 06:18 PM
Administrator

forged rods and crank are stronger than cast items...so they can stand up to more abuse, and especially more boost.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

"forged crankshafts and forged connection rods do."

All that means is they are strong and can withstand additional horsepower without being destroyed.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

That's what I thought, I just didn't want to act like I knew what I was talking about and turn out to be wrong and make a complete fool of myself. So any theories on why there is such as huge power jump? The hp and tq boost from the 5.7L to the 6.1L was a 75-85 hp & 30 ft-lbs of tq boost, and the compression difference was a 9.6 to 1 vs. a 10.3 to 1 boost. What other factors are in here? The EFI system would be inferior to the SFI system if I understand FI systems well enough.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 11-13-2006, 09:44 PM
Administrator

hmm...any type of aspiration can be tuned...if chrysler wanted 50 more hp out of a box stock charger srt8, someone could do it with a couple minor parts and a good tune...keep in mind, that car and driver, and one of the mopar magazines actually got something like 460 out of the 6.1L.

also, i would imagine that this SS didnt have things like air condition, if it didnt have outside mirrors...how about a catalytic convertor? does it have standard exhaust manifolds, or did they fit up something higher flowing? did it have full, restrictive exhaust?

maybe a little port and polish of the heads and intake manifold....add this possible stuff in with a good tune, and you could easily get an extra 100hp. for the regular person, this would be expensive, but for DCX, its nothing, so long as it puts on a good show.

hell, someone with a dremel tool and an understanding of engine air flow, along with a bigger TB, bigger injectors, and a dyno tune coule get a bundle more HP.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:25 PM
Super Moderator

Well anything from compression ratio to aggressive crankshaft to valves to intake manifold to headers all can make a difference.
Certainly a lot of variables in parts.

Horsepower.........................460
• Torque..................................460
• Bore x Stroke ......................4.00" x 3.800"
• Compression .......................9.5:1
• Max recommended RPM....6500
• Block ...................................GM ZZ383
• Crank...................................Forged steel
• Piston ..................................Hypereutectic
• Rods.....................................Powdered metal
• Camshaft.............................Hydraulic roller
• Rocker arms........................Aluminum Roller 1.5:1
• Cylinder Heads....................E-Tec 170 #60979
- 64cc Combustion chamber
- 170cc intake runner/ 80cc exhaust runner
- Stainless steel 1.94" intake / 1.55" exhaust valves
Old 11-14-2006, 08:33 AM
Administrator

https://dodgechallenger.com/challenger-ss/

Quick Reply: SEMA: Dodge Challenger Super Sport Rocks New 392 Hemi