Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

They could possibly build the Camaro and Challenger in Ontario

Old 08-09-2006, 11:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default They could possibly build the Camaro and Challenger in Ontario

Oshawa flexes its muscle in bid for new Camaro
GRANT ROBERTSON

General Motors Corp. is returning to the muscle car business today with plans for a revamped Camaro, and the company's Oshawa, Ont., assembly plant has been positioned as a front-runner to build the reborn vehicle.

GM chief executive officer Rick Wagoner is expected to announce the resurrection of the Chevrolet Camaro at an industry conference in Michigan, after the company unveiled the concept version of the car back in January.

The Detroit auto maker isn't planning to announce where the Camaro will be built for several weeks, but sources said Wednesday that Oshawa is the most likely candidate to land the work. Such a move would be a major boost for the operation, which was hit by substantial job cuts last fall.

GM's operation in Wilmington, Del., is also considered a leading contender and several other U.S. plants have lobbied for the Camaro work.

Company executives have been reluctant to discuss where the Camaro could be built, however significant restructuring of labour agreements at Oshawa have been put in place for a project of such magnitude. Formal discussions have also been held in recent months on how the plant would be structured to handle construction of a new brand of car.

The Camaro will mark GM's return to the muscle car category on the heels of its American rivals. Ford Motor Co. made the first move with an supercharged overhaul of its Mustang. DaimlerChrysler AG also unveiled a concept version of the Dodge Challenger back in January and has picked its Brampton, Ont., facility for the assembly.

Though sources in government and the auto industry said Wednesday they are confident of Oshawa's chances, Canadian Auto Workers union president Buzz Hargrove said he isn't certain the project will come to Canada, though he is optimistic.

“We've had a lot of meetings, a lot of discussions, and a lot of ideas have been shared,” Mr. Hargrove said. “There's been no final decision.”

Should Oshawa be tagged for the Camaro assembly it would ease the blow delivered to the GM facilities there last November, when the company cut 3,900 jobs in Canada, including the planned shutdown of the No. 2 Oshawa plant by 2008.

The move was part of massive cutbacks at the auto maker, involving 30,000 layoffs across 12 North American plants. They were GM's deepest cutbacks since 1991. “It's an important decision for the long-term viability of Oshawa,” Mr. Hargrove said. “We're going to cross our fingers and hope like hell we get it.”

Discussions about producing the Camaro in Oshawa have centred around the shutdown of the No. 2 plant, sources said Wednesday. The company may look to expand the complex to accommodate the new Camaro assembly line.

Labour agreements have also been restructured to offer several thousand retirement packages to older plant workers, while bringing in newer employees at lower wages that would keep costs of the operations down.

“We are confident about Oshawa's chances,” a source said.

However, Mr. Hargrove pointed out that the auto sector has been clouded in uncertainty in recent years. Such agreements can get bogged down in political wrangling, with heavy lobbying efforts expected from state governments in the United States where GM plants are located.

Joseph Cordiano, Ontario's Minister of Economic Development and Trade, is today expected to respond to GM's announcement and will be part of a further push from Canada until the announcement is made.

The return to muscle cars comes at an awkward time for the major U.S. auto makers, since the designs draw heavily on the original version of the vehicles which had larger engines than most production cars today.

Analysts say rising gasoline prices could hurt sales of the cars, just as sales of sport utility vehicles have softened in some categories.

The Cama
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:12 AM

Default RE: They could possibly build the Camaro and Challenger in Ontario

I hope the US plants get the deal. Mainly because of experience with Canadien quality. My 2001 Silverado was built in Ontario and I had problems with that thing. I kind of beat on it a little, but my friend and I both bought our silverados the same day, got a killer deal doing that. His was built in Texas and he beats on it worse than I do, and he added alot more aftermarket stuff, and his still works fine.

And not car related, but as some know, my wife works in teh TV industry, and she has worked on 2 shows shot in Canada to be cheap, and she was saying the production crews suck. They always make unneeded sounds and stuff. Miles times worse than US production crews. But as the old saying goes, You get what you pay for.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator

I like your Texas comment since I am from Texas. I am glad your friends truck still works great.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:19 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: TechmanBD

I hope the US plants get the deal. Mainly because of experience with Canadien quality. My 2001 Silverado was built in Ontario and I had problems with that thing. I kind of beat on it a little, but my friend and I both bought our silverados the same day, got a killer deal doing that. His was built in Texas and he beats on it worse than I do, and he added alot more aftermarket stuff, and his still works fine.

And not car related, but as some know, my wife works in teh TV industry, and she has worked on 2 shows shot in Canada to be cheap, and she was saying the production crews suck. They always make unneeded sounds and stuff. Miles times worse than US production crews. But as the old saying goes, You get what you pay for.
I agree. I can say from experience that the cars made here in the U.S. hold up better than their counterparts made by the Canadians (yes my Intrepid was made in Canada).

"What you pay for is what you get." My theory in life. I have heard nothing but good things about the quality of work from Texas.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts