Notices
Dodge Challenger R/T Threads specific to the Dodge Challenger R/T should be placed here.

Not sure what to do

Old 02-16-2009, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Not sure what to do

[] C,MON AXEL,FILL US IN,THE SUSPENSE IS KILLING US!
Old 02-16-2009, 01:28 PM

Oh, yeah, regarding the 600 mile drive home after picking it up...I'll never do anyhting like that again.

I bought a 99 Ford F250 Duper Duty pick-up truck with gasoline V-10 and manual trans in PA from a dealer at which my dad worked. I drove it around Eastern PA for a few days while visiting, which added up to like 200 or 300 miles tops before heading back to Chicago. I varried my speed as well as I thought I could within reason on the interstates and we had our kids with us so there were plenty of extended bathroom breaks and food stops for minor cool downs. The trip even included a stop-over in the Pittsburgh area overnight (about 250 miles from where I bought the truck). I figured that would have been a decent break-in period.

The truck always ran perfect but I ended up with an oil consumption issue (as much as 2 qts over my 3000 mile oil change interval). Researching the symptom a few years later, I found that running at near constant speed Varrying between 55 and 75 miles an hour is not enough of a variation) without proper cool down cycles in the first few hundred miles(500 typically), the rings and the cylinder walls do not seat together properly. So I ended up with excess blow-by and burn off of oil though it was never enough to trigger an emissions test failure.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:12 PM

[:'(] That stinks mot250[:'(] Do you still have the truck,and if so,how many miles is on it,and how is your oil consumption now? You probably shouldn,t have posted that,when axel reads it,he,s goin to have a stroke.[]
Old 02-16-2009, 04:12 PM

I bought a new 06 Grand Caravan SXT 3.8 engine. Pick it up on a Monday left for Disney World on Tuesday with 85 miles on the OD. Went from Milw. to Orlando and back in 10 days 3300 miles. Now it has 74,000 miles on it and no sign of oil consumption more than 1/2 qt. every 3,000 miles. I took it easy between Milw. and Chicago due to traffic. Drove a straight 10 hrs before stopping for the night. Hope this helps.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:14 PM

Another factor to consider . The weight . When I had a 06 MX5 GT 6mt. Everyone talked about the weight of the tire and the effect on handling. Weight effects the perf on take off and stopping as well as handling . Might not effect our R/T with the power and weight of the car as much . But still some effect . Would the smaller rim save enough weight to make up for more rubber . Would be interesting to know the difference . If there is one with the same type of tire or difference in size .
ORIGINAL: mot250

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

Your right whylee,but the key word is IF. They change the ratio to a 3.92 because they have a bigger overall rollout.
There is no IF. According to Tire Rack tire specs, the tires on the 20s are 28.7 inches tall (diameter) and come in at 729 revolutions per mile. The tires on the 18s are 28.4 inches tall and come in at 731 revlutions per mile. Not enough to cause a speedo calibration issue. You could nearly get that spread of actual tire height and revolutions per mile difference on the same tires just with poor tire pressure managment or differences between new and worn tires.

The difference in gears is purely for performance (real or presumed), not to compensate for tire diameter.

You could feasably order the Challenger with 20's and the taller gears (numerically lower) from the dealer and there would be no difference in speedo calibration. As another example, the automatics do not get different gears with the 20's vs. the 18's.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:28 AM

Sorry for the suspense. Let's just say, I have no been on the computer much after getting the car. We went round trip, non stop, 4:30 in the morning to 1:30 in the morning the next day. That was pretty stupid let me tell you, won't do that again without stopping. However, reading some of the comments, now I'm worried.

Driving back, I would vary the rpm every 30 miles, a little more at first. Not sure if that was enough or not. I would cruise in 6th, then switch to 5th. Wasn't great for gas mileage, but that was the least of my concern. Was actually surprised that the gas mileage was not to bad doing that. Again, not sure if that was enough or not, but I sure hope it is.

I would like to switch out the 20s, cost reason, but I have been advised, like others have said on here, that the ride could be different. I've also heard the diameter of the rotors could cause an issue, but I didn't know they were different from the 18 to the 20s.

The financing didn't work out the way I hoped. I guess Chrysler now has this thing where you have to stay in the loan for three months or you have to pay a penalty. According to the customer service people in India, who said it's a great day at Chrysler when they answered the phone, I have to hold it for six months, but it didn't sound like they knew what they were talking about. Also, if I were to transfer it, then I would lose the $1,000 for financing through them, even though my credit is part of this rebate thing.

Overall, love the car, hated the trip, and hope the engine doesn't fall apart on me.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll be fine. Nice car. I really like the color Yours seems to be close to what I have. I can't stop driving it all the time. The other cars seem so neglected. But I have washed all of them and that kills a day Have fun and enjoy the ride. You will see how hard it is to drive any other cars you own
Old 02-17-2009, 12:00 PM

Tell you what Axel. I bought a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 4.7L HO engine which is still my crappy weather / airport car. The day after I bought it we drove that thing from Pennsylvania to Vegas like we stole it. Drove the daylights out of it, and it's still the best running engine I've ever had. I'm over 90,000 miles and I can't remember it ever using oil. You will be fine, and you're out of the break in period in a day.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:15 PM

Sold the truck("unloaded it" is more like it) to CARMAX a few years ago with 180,000 miles on it. Oil consumption never got any worse than the 1 to 2 qts between oil changes and the variation seemed to depend on the type of driving during the oil change interval. More cold starts and shorter trips consumed more oil.

I've had plenty of other Ford gas engines including the modular motor in my 06 Mustang and never had issues with that much oil consumption before or since. Well there was an old Torino I had with a really worn engine that lost as much as 1 qt every 40 miles (blow-by out the crank case ventelation tube) but that one was known to need a re-build.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:47 AM

Thank you. Love the color and that's why I traveled to a different state to get it, that and they were willing to do EP pricing.

Well, the other car I own, in a matter of speaking since my name is primary on it, is my wife's car. She drives that most of the time. This is my primary car, as many people hate to hear. I will drive this thing all year round, hence why I would kind of like to change out the tires. Mag chloride and other such car wreckers, I hear don't agree with the chrome clad rims. Not to mention tire chains will not fit on this car. I know, again, something you all hate to hear, but for someone without a lot of money to afford three cars, I have no choice. Plus, I get to enjoy it everyday I drive it so it's not so bad. What is bad is the color will fade and the dings I'll get in the parking lot, probably both at store and in my apartment complex parking lot.

Speaking of dings, I was looking online about the ESV1 alarm system that comes on some of the vehicles. I don't know if it's offered on the Challenger or not, but I was wondering if anyone had any information on it. Is it a decent security system? If someone decides to ram their door into yours, will it set it off? The way this car attracts attention, I would like to have something on it for the people who feel they need to get their body against my car when looking into it. Maybe tinted windows would help that also.

Heck, the day I bought it, while it was still on the lot, I forgot to lock it and a couple of Mexican's decided that they wanted to pose and get pictures inside of it. My wife wanted me to set the alarm off, but I figured that if I were going to do that, that I should have done it as they opened the car. That would have been funny. They did have a sign on it that said vehicle sold. At the owners request, though I didn't request anything, please do not touch this vehicle. I guess only the sales manager had driven it also as they wouldn't let anyone, dealer or customer, test drive it. I can see why though as the one I was trying to get here in state had 101 miles on it from test drives alone. Boy did that shock me.

Thanks for the reassurance on the engine. I will keep an eye on it and make sure everything is ok. I believe my Mustang liked to eat oil, but at a very slow rate, a qt at every change about 5,000 miles, and I followed the break in for that. Maybe this is the better break in?

Quick Reply: Not sure what to do