Notices
Dodge Challenger R/T Threads specific to the Dodge Challenger R/T should be placed here.

R/T vs GT vs GTO

Old 10-02-2008, 04:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: R/T vs GT vs GTO

I would like to nominate this as THEE GREATEST first post ever! Welcome aboard Ace!
ORIGINAL: Ace

Hey, I'm a big fan of the new challenger, especially the styling. The R/T is definitivly the best looking car of the bunch and probably the best sounding.

All of this saddens me because, I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but the mustang has the performance advantage here.

As you can see here: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...on_tables.html , The mustang GT, despite being almost 5k less, has the same 0-60 time, a better quater-mile time, a faster figure-8 and, worse of all, a better handling ( 0.87g on the skidpad for the GT vs 0.82 for the R/T) despite the fact that the mustang has an archaic rear suspension.

As much as I love the challenger, it simply is a great touring car, and not much more.

Old 10-02-2008, 04:35 AM

lol you crack me up....you have challengers on your sig then mustang then challengers now mustangs....you dont know what to decide.

fact is the challenger is a better overall car than the mustang.
by the way the mustang is more expensive on his link lol and only goes .1 faster...........just an overall rediculous statement.
you still havent gotten the understanding we have about the challenger...you think it is just another mass produced car like the mustang. It is not, it is an exclusive club juat like in the 70s. Your opinion is just that an opinion.

have a nice day

btw check the quarter mile time compared to the bullit....................THE CHALLENGER WINS! WHO'S THE BETTER PERFORMER NOW BEENY?

your beloved bullit is nothing when the 5.7 picks up as you can see in the 20-50 mph and 50-80 ect ect.

THIS IS THE BEST POST EVER PERIOD IN THE HISTORY OF THIS FORUM BECAUSE I SAID SO!!
Old 10-02-2008, 05:07 AM

HAHAHA You are absolutely right kevin, I am so confused I do not know if I'm coming or going some days. Challenger, Mustang, Challenger, Mustang..... I feel like my head is spinning sometimes. Anyway I absolutely love both cars. And if loving both cars is wrong, I don't wanna be right! I honestly love the exclusivity of the Challenger; the exterior and of course, the performance. Old habits die hard though, please bare with me as I have / I am, the proud owner of two Mustangs (`99 GT, `05 GT). What really surprised me in this test was the 0-60 times of the R/T 6 speed. When all you hear initially about its performance is "under 6 seconds" you begin to wonder. It was reassuring to say the least that it is a mere 5.1 secs! Oh by the way, I notice how you conventiently left out the absolute butt whoopin the Shelby GT500 laid down on all the competition though. In your darkest hour I want you to always remember this kevin...it's good to be The King! Have a nice day.

PS: Just for you I'm changing my sig pic back to a Challenger. I just thought you guys might in some strange way appreciate the upcoming 2010 Mustang.

ORIGINAL: kevin2323

lol you crack me up....you have challengers on your sig then mustang then challengers now mustangs....you dont know what to decide.

fact is the challenger is a better overall car than the mustang.
by the way the mustang is more expensive on his link lol and only goes .1 faster...........just an overall rediculous statement.
you still havent gotten the understanding we have about the challenger...you think it is just another mass produced car like the mustang. It is not, it is an exclusive club juat like in the 70s. Your opinion is just that an opinion.

have a nice day

btw check the quarter mile time compared to the bullit....................THE CHALLENGER WINS! WHO'S THE BETTER PERFORMER NOW BEENY?

your beloved bullit is nothing when the 5.7 picks up as you can see in the 20-50 mph and 50-80 ect ect.

THIS IS THE BEST POST EVER PERIOD IN THE HISTORY OF THIS FORUM BECAUSE I SAID SO!!
Old 10-02-2008, 05:17 AM
Ace

I would like to nominate this as THEE GREATEST first post ever! Welcome aboard Ace!
Thank you Albeeno. I joined this forum to try and give mustangs a voice, all the while being courteous and trying to be unbiased. Let's see how far I can go before getting flamed to death

Now, Kevin, I was not talking about the limited edition Bullitt in this comparaison. The Regular GT, if you check a little bit farther down the page, does the same 0-60 as the challenger, but does the quarter-mile in less time. (How the regular GT manages to be better than the Bullitt is probably because of the horrible all-weather stock tire on the affromentinate limited edition model.) All of this for around 4770 $ less.

What impresses me is that the GT has a lb/weight ratio of 11 compared to the R/T's 10.1 and a live rear axl vs a IRS (Correct me if I'm wrong) for the Challenger and still manages to beat it at both the drag-strip, the skid-pad and the figure-eight.

I reckon that the 0-60 times are awfully close and that at that level, it's just a matter of driver skill, but a proper mustang driver still wouldn't get *Smoked* as much as you believe he would, if I refer myself to some of your previous posts.

To close it up, the Challenger might be the better looking (Suggestive, although I agree) and better sounding (Suggestive yet again) of the two, but it is still a touring car and slightly underperforms, and I mean slightly, compared to the much less costly 2009 Mustang GT both in the handling and speed department (Well, regular speeds anyway.) So, it all comes down to a personal driver choice.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:52 AM

Well, my wife owns an 06 Mustang GT and I drive it often and while I have not driven a Challenger yet, I can say that I did drive a Charger with the 6.1 and there was no comparison what so ever. The power and pure pull off the line and on was far greater for the Charger. I also got "Smoked" by that same Charger in the Mustang and yes I do know how to drive hot rods as I have been doing for over 30+ years. Looking at the Challenger and its numbers against the Charger I am certain the Mustang does not stand a chance. Also, about two weeks ago the owner of my dealer and his brother, a Ford dealership owner took their cars to Joiliet (chicagoland Speedway) and had a day to let it all hang out. They did slaloms in the parking lot, corning, straingt runs etc. across the parking lots and then took to the track for high speed runs. The cars? My dealer owner had a black 08 SRT and the Ford? A new Bullitt. Once he has all of the video finished I will post them. In EVERY thing they did, the Bullitt came in second.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:20 AM

It is an "exclusive club" now eh? My goodness. Some of you are starting to sound more and more like BMW owners every day. And the "HEMI" doesn't have the market cornered on "real" V8 sound.

The $42,000+ SRT8 should not be compared to the GT. The R/T competes more directly with the GT. And for the record I have never been on here making grandiose claims about "smoking" the R/T stock for stock. However as we can see by those motortrend results the slightly more expensive R/T is really not much if any faster. But the way some people talk about it here - it will take the starship Enterprise to beat the thing.

It really doesn't take much to get a GT into the low 13's or even the high 12's with bolt on mods costing well under $4,000 overall. And yet the price would still be significantly less than a SRT8 Challenger. Hell I could even put a Saleen or a Whipple HO on there after nearly full bolt ons and be in the 11's. And for the same price of an SRT8.

I have defended the Challenger on occasion, at other forums, when people make remarks about it and the weight. Calling it a "whale" and a "tank". It's really kind of disappointing that I can come over here and *some* posters are just as close minded and arrogant. Really disappointing.

Thanks to Ace for helping to bring reason into this thread.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:25 AM

ORIGINAL: Riptide

It is an "exclusive club" now eh? My goodness. Some of you are starting to sound more and more like BMW owners every day. And the "HEMI" doesn't have the market cornered on "real" V8 sound.

The $42,000+ SRT8 should not be compared to the GT. The R/T competes more directly with the GT. And for the record I have never been on here making grandiose claims about "smoking" the R/T stock for stock. However as we can see by those motortrend results the slightly more expensive R/T is really not much if any faster. But the way some people talk about it here - it will take the starship Enterprise to beat the thing.

It really doesn't take much to get a GT into the low 13's or even the high 12's with bolt on mods costing well under $4,000 overall. And yet the price would still be significantly less than a SRT8 Challenger. Hell I could even put a Saleen or a Whipple HO on there after nearly full bolt ons and be in the 11's. And for the same price of an SRT8.

I have defended the Challenger on occasion, at other forums, when people make remarks about it and the weight. Calling it a "whale" and a "tank". It's really kind of disappointing that I can come over here and *some* posters are just as close minded and arrogant. Really disappointing.

Thanks to Ace for helping to bring reason into this thread.
riptide you are doing what you claim others to be doing being biased. I am unbiased and actually like the mustang. To clarify my statement, I said that it is obvious that if the track went longer than a quarter mile the 5.7 with it's superior 6 speed tremec and more power and cubes would come out ahead by alot as you can tell by the numbers posted in the article. 0-60 mustang than 60-80 ect ect you see the rt pulling away and ends up with a better quarter mile time. As for my exclusivity comment, I was merely saying it in the sense that only 30k challengers are being produced a year as oppose to 100+k mustangs a year. I like both cars but to say a car that is equal and exceeds the mustang in performance on some categories is a touring car? that just doesnt make sense to me. Than I guess the camaro is going to be a touring car too. Since when can a car not be a amazing performance car and comfortable? As for mods if you read my posts I said that the mustang has it in the mods for $ department since there is so many of them out there. More units = more mods and cheaper. But if you get into mods it is also dumb.We are talking stock vs stock buddy cmon I thought you were unbiased?

albeen honestly I am sorry for not putting the gt500 in there. I was in the whole 5.7 thing and through in the srt8 manual tranny numbers in there too. I got you next time.
Btw love the sig, that is my color....keep it!!
Old 10-02-2008, 07:45 AM

I'm not biased at all. If I had my druthers I would have an R/T in the garage along with the Ford. Personally I think the R/T has the Ford on the looks department. Though I don't think it's night/day better. But it has the edge. As far as top speed - no argument there either. The larger engine usually wins there.

The 1/4 mile tests showed the R/T getting a 13.6. That is not any better than the GT can do in stock form. Again, no argument on top speed.

There will be less Challengers on the road sure. But it is hardly an exclusive club with 30K a year being produced. Leastways not IMO. I think we both have the same understanding in this area but are choosing to express it a little differently. No problem.

As far as the bias goes I'm not sure that you really fall into the category of fanboy to the extent some people here do. Honestly, some of our resident posters are very realistic and reasonable. Others not so much. Legends in their own minds. They have an SRT8 and think they are practically unbeatable. Everything else is "junk". I think that attitude is retarded. Makes me wonder what people like that do when they get their doors blown off by a modded 4cyl turbo japanese car? Six months worth of therapy?
Old 10-02-2008, 07:52 AM

haha trust me I agree with you on the some of the srt8 guys comments.... just go check out the "is the srt8 really worth 11k more than the rt" thread hahaha. But yea I really am not a fanboy and it seems like you arent either. But I am glad we can actually have an argument without getting too bias hahah.

I am just glad that these cars exist period because the way things are going this is it!
Old 10-02-2008, 07:56 AM

HEMI is the V8....Challenger is THE CAR...
I am sorry you guys are so lost.
I am sure there is a fast YUGO out there for you.
And when it comes to a roll and go or top end GOODBYE....
I know the SRT8 will beat a Shelby off the line stock I did it....
Did your bathroom reading material have any insight on this?
I can see a popularity contest here that the Challenger cant win by numbers.
The Vette is probably the only car to FEAR in my Challenger.
What is top end on the Mustang? Is it as reliable?
As for GTO....LMAO..rebadged Le Mans or Grand Prix..WTF.

Mustang boys move on..get a life.

Quick Reply: R/T vs GT vs GTO