Notices
Dodge Challenger SE Threads specific to the Dodge Challenger SE should be placed here.

First Problem with the car

Old 12-01-2008, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: First Problem with the car

I'm a little confused in what you are saying the problem is. Is the engine itself running rough or is it that it shutters when you press the gas after a complete stop, having a pause where the engine revs then suddenly it jerks and moves?

If the engine itself is running rough, then I would recommend talking to people who have had 3.5Ls and asking them if they have ever encountered this before. I would go to our sister forum www.dodgeforum.com and ask as well over there. When doing this, you might want to ask in the 2nd generation Intrepid section as a 3.5L V6 question since these owners have had these models for a longer time and might have already experienced many of these issues. There are a few regulars over there who are very useful in that section.

If it is the second, then the problem is probably simple. The check engine light is likely crying wolf, while the transmission is trying to shift back down to first and hasn't had the time to get it done yet before you press the gas. This is a typical problem with Chrysler automatics and fortunately extremely easy to fix. Just use the gear shifter to shift it into "L" around 10mph, will force it to go into first and it will be ready to take off.

challygirl, I'm not sure how relevant the problem with the R/T's torque converters would be since the R/T and the SE have completely different transmissions. The SE has a Chrysler 42RLE, the R/T has a Mercedes W5A580.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 12-02-2008, 08:31 AM

RLSH700

when I accelerate from a stop, the car changes through the gears, but when I start to slow to a stop the check engine light flashes and chimes, when I get to complete stop, the car idles rough and the car shakes. WHen I step on the gas at that point it feels like the car is running on 4 cylinders and I can here what I think is a misfire/loud clicking tyoe of noise. I pull off the road, turn the car off and wait a minute and then restart the car and the car isles and runs fine, and the engine light clears itself?
Old 12-03-2008, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

What RPM is the engine running at when it is acting up like this? My old Intrepid did something similar. If the symptoms are similar, I might be able to have an answer.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 12-04-2008, 06:10 AM

the car ran rough as the light went on and the chime sounded, I turned the car off and started it back up and the car ran fine, yet the check engine light stayed on, car ran fine throughout the weekend and the light remained, it suddenly cleared itself like the car knew it was headed to the dealer. Kinda like a dog knowing it's going to the vet??? anyways, techline says the car is still learning and could be this way for the first 5000kms... so we'll see, car has handled great and power is there so maybe it's just learning and burning off all the new engine oil coatings and crap??

Last edited by canadiancanuck; 03-22-2009 at 06:44 AM.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator

What was the weather like before, during, and after it acted this way? I know it sounds strange, but this might be the key to the problem. Also, what gas were you running in it?

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 12-04-2008, 05:07 PM

Someone sent me to your post. I have a new 09 R/T with 6 speed stick . 2500 miles on it. It didn't start when I first turned the key at the post office today . I'm used to the tip start on the 07 Ram I traded on it . So I turned the key again and it started. But when pulling out and shifting 2nd gear . The engine just sort of choked up and shut down . I turned the key off and clutched it . And hit the flasher's . It restarted but ran rough for a few second's . I drove to a parking lot and called the local dealer . And they said was ok to drive if light wasn't flashing on and off . They look at first thing tomorrow morning . I had doctor appointment's later in the day . So I drove about 60 miles to my VA hospital I go to. After being there a few hour's I came out . Started the car and the light didn't come on as it had stayed on going there. Hope they can tell me more in the morning. Don't like this at all.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:04 AM

RLSH007 - car is running Mid Grade fuel, only 2 tanks put in, first from the dealership and my most recent which was Wednesday evening. weather conditions are mild temps, -2C to +11C so normal to average temps.

So at the dealership, the car rolls in rumbling like a jack hammer, first thing the tech sees is a misfire. so he runs the diagnosis and gets no default code but a misfire in cyl #2. Turns car off and restarts and car runs fine, pulls the connector off the coil for #2 and the car shudders, thinks maybe it's a bad PCM. I leave it overnight.

The service dept. calls me today and advises me they found carbon build up on #2 and #4 plugs, and cyclinders #2 slight carbon, and #4 MAJOR build up. They have replaced the cylinders and coils on #2 & #4 and have ordered a new PCM which may be 1-8weeks from the US. So I'm, without a car for that long....

She says you do need to service these cars, to prevent this type of build up as this is signs of missed services?? I tell her I've owned the car for 2 weeks now and have only 1800kms on it, she pauses and says OMG really.... that sucks. I said you guys are doing an oil change on it as well, and she says oh....... I'm starting to lose my composer with the car and Dodge. Next is a call to Dodge Canada.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:10 AM

Oh, man, that's bad news, canadiancanuck. []
Old 12-05-2008, 10:19 AM

Thought I'd pass this along . My R/T with 6 speed stumbled and engine died with engine check light on . And stayed on most of the day till finally going off after driving 60 miles and getting in the car to go home after several hour's at the VA hospital for doctor appointment . Dealer looked at it this morning . Had a code for engine crank sensor . Was told was a TSB on the issue and to reset the first time . It run's fine now . But expect it to happen again .
Old 12-05-2008, 10:59 AM

thing is it's a new car and more and more electronics to go wrong, it's going to happen whether I like it or not, the only positive side is it's warrantied and I'll keep using warranty while it's still available.

The dealership just called back, they seem to feel that they have taken car of the problem by replacing the coils and plugs, and they noted the fuel curve was riched right out, so they reflashed the PCM? their doing the oilchange right now and going for another road test. Hopefully that fixes it??

Quick Reply: First Problem with the car