Notices
Dodge Challenger SE Threads specific to the Dodge Challenger SE should be placed here.

Well I don't drive a General Lee

Old 06-30-2009, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well I don't drive a General Lee

I haven't been on here in awhile so I'd figure I would come back with another saga for our members,

after blowing a tire last friday and learning it would be a 6 week wait for the lovely Continentals that are OEM, I opted for new tires all around. I was so excited to get the 2 new tires on lastnight, after watching a sweet ass weekend roll by and no cruising in the Challenger.

I decided to take the car out to clear the TPMS code and go see the progress on my house... this was a bad idea. The car started to misfire again (a persistant problem which I thought was resolved back in Jan/Feb), so I pull the car onto the shoulder, shut it down and restart it. Car starts up fine, idles normally, so I take off, well I get to 65kms / hr and the car starts to misfire, but this time the check engine light chimes 3 times and blinks, and the car shuts down completely sending me into coasting mode, well the steering locks up and the brakes are not responding... so I held on for dear life as the car and i went into the ditch, through a pile of dirt and gravel, up the ditch and apparently into the air over an embankment and landed / stopped nose down on the other side of the embankment. I get out and expect the worse, I see a LARGE boulder under the car, and think major issues, yet the front wheels were rested on the second embankment and the rock on the support cradle, I literally could crawl under the car on my knees and sit up to look under it..... so I quickly grabbed whatever wood I could find and call the GF and a tow truck. I jacked the front end up and noticed the car wasn't resting in the rock thank god and prepped the wheels and started constructing a bridge to be able to back the car out of the gully i was span across. Tow truck did the rest and off to the dealership it went.

What a night, I will give credit to Chrysler Canada this morning, I made 1 call, they had all the info on my car, including the repairs previously and were immediatley on the phone to the dealership with the repairing tech working on a solution, so I'm hoping Chrysler will have the repairs done at their expense and the car will get fixed. I'm waiting to hear on confirmation of this..... but I think Chrysler will be reputable and fix this.

Man I hate this car, but I love it and just want it fixed.......

that's pretty much about it, th ecar held up pretty well, so far visually looks like front fascia, front lip, fender liner, and the plastic underbody panels, maybe a oil cooler line, so we'll see.

Last edited by canadiancanuck; 06-30-2009 at 11:41 AM.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:46 PM

Glad you survived sorry about your luck though. Does you VIN have 666 in it anywhere?
Old 06-30-2009, 05:21 PM

Man, not fun times for you. Hope they get you all fixed up and back on the road again and very soon,
Old 06-30-2009, 05:58 PM

it's frustrating, but I have to say, Chrsyler Canada was quick to get his issue going, calls were made to the dealership, tech line, tech that repaired the car in Jan etc....

I walked away fine and un harmed so I'm not out for any lawsuits etc... all I would like is to have the repairs covered and the car fixed.... I think that is pretty reasonable, no big drama,

all in all it could have been worse:
Attached Thumbnails img_0070.jpg   img_0072.jpg   img_0075.jpg   img_0074.jpg  

Last edited by canadiancanuck; 06-30-2009 at 06:02 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:04 AM

That really sucks Chris. Glad you walked away. Hope you get her back on the road soon. I've been lucky with mine, no misfires since they installed the cam shims.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:54 PM

thanks Mark, I called your cell yesterday, but it could have been alot worse, and the car held up extremely well which I was impressed, not to speak to early but Chrysler has stepped up with this issue.....

they think my PCM goes dormant when there is an issue, and it doesn't hold a code???

oh well, i just want it fixed,the shop thinks I'll have her back and running in a couple of weeks.

Last edited by canadiancanuck; 07-01-2009 at 06:57 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:18 AM

why does everything have to lock up when it shuts down that is crazy you can't even steer the car and the brakes don't work man this is nuts
Old 07-02-2009, 08:16 AM

I know, my fiance has stated the same thing, brakes and steering should not lock out, I look at the worst case scenario, I could have had my kids in the car with me, or my fiance.... and the fact it shut down should let you have some control while the vehicle is in motion, it is a scary situation, but on the plus side, I walked away and the car damage looks minimal at this point.

so far the list goes as this:

Front Lower fascia spoiler + paint
Front Bumper Fascia + paint
Bumper impact support
Power Steering pump or hose??
Plastic shielding under body
Side skirts + piant
rear valance + paint

so thus far roughly $3000.00 so that really isn't bad, the suspension is untouched, and all metal is straight and unaffected which was awesome news. I'll post pics later of the recovery and engineering it took to get it out.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:01 PM

well the news isn't good, so after putting together what I think may need replacing, including the impact beam, grille mount, front facsia, and so on, ($1700.00 in just parts) I got a call rom my buddy with some not so good news,

included in now after a more stringent mechanical, the lower cradle, rediator, a/c condensor, oilpan, and the rear trans mount are broken.

A final estimate will be completed tomorrow, and hopefully submitted to Chrysler.

The only good news is that I plan on having everything ordered including the SRT bellypan and ducts seeing I already have the SRT front lip sitting in the garage. I think while these parts are out, I may just have the upgraded bushings installed, and the headers done.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:56 AM

How many times have you been without the car due to the SAME problem.?
(you mentioned a persistant problem fixed in Jan./Feb.)

Do they not have a LEMON law in Canada.?
I would be insisting they get you a brand new one just like your original,
and save the mods for that one..

Quick Reply: Well I don't drive a General Lee