Notices
Dodge Challenger SRT8 Threads specific to the Dodge Challenger SRT8 should be placed here.

My GAWD!! She loves to stretch her legs.

Old 12-27-2008, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My GAWD!! She loves to stretch her legs.

I have the '09 SRT8 6 speed and I'm going to get a speeding ticket for 90 in a 55. I just know it. When cruising along in 6th she just WANTS to be running 90. And it is so easy with this beast. It feels like 60 but after a few seconds you notice that you are going way faster than everyone else. That big 6.1 is barely beating at all at 90. That is scary.

The second day I owned it I'm cruising down 75/85 through the center of Atlanta. For those of you who aren't familiar with ATL traffic just picture a NASCAR race where a few thousand people are bump drafting at 80 mph. Bumper to bumper and hauling the mail. Well, I'm creeping along being held up by a minivan. I gear it down and jump to one of the left hand lanes and floor it. The SRT is smooth and strong and before I know it I'm approaching a ton and my Spidy Senses start tingling. I check the rear view and sure enough Fulton Counties finest is right on my full width tail light!!! CRAP!! I get out of the throttle and try to keep my internal organs from jumping out of my throat to see for themselves what's got my eye balls buggin' out. But guess what?? The cop goes for the far left lane, pulls along side and gives me the thumbs up!! SWEEEEeeehhhh!! Must have been the drive-out plates that got me a bit of sympathy.

Guess I've used all my Get-out-of-jail-free cards. I've got a car that has a warning system when you exceed a set MPH. This car could certainly use one of those. You listening Dodge??
Old 12-27-2008, 10:59 AM

Default RE: My GAWD!! She loves to stretch her legs.

We have the same and you are sooooo right - you could be clipping along at over 100 if no one is on the highway with you to judge your speed[sm=badbadbad.gif]

If our SRT8 had a warning system when you exceeded a set MPH - I probably wouldn't be able to drive it - I have a problem driving within the posted limits - no matter what I'm driving. What is it they say? Admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery?[sm=devilangel.gif]
Old 12-27-2008, 01:37 PM

I find the digital speedo and the standard both on help,, I have to use the cruise control because i have gotten a couple tickets since getting it in july,, cruise works great i like you can up or down one mph at a time good luck ...
Old 12-27-2008, 01:54 PM

The rolling inertia of the big wheel/tire combo, the over-all vehicle weight, and awesome suspension settings and an engine that is SOoooo under stressed at sane speeds just warp your senses. I have ridden in 7 series and S class Mercedese that don't disguise there speed this well. I still haven't gotten to the 500 mile break-in. According to the manual I'm not suppose to exceed 80 mph. I guess I just need to stay off the highway.

Honestly, I really would like to yank about 200lbs. of sound damping material out of this thing. The extra wind noise, sound of tires gripping & engine music would keep my brain in proper allignment. I'm serious. Plus I'd remove the rear seats and install a blank covering the pass-through. Carbon Fiber hood and deck and light weight racing seats and now I'm as light as a Mustang with way more power [sm=drooldude.gif]

ORIGINAL: jh27_1970

I find the digital speedo and the standard both on help,, I have to use the cruise control because i have gotten a couple tickets since getting it in july,, cruise works great i like you can up or down one mph at a time good luck ...
Old 12-27-2008, 08:09 PM

That's so true... I felt the same way when I first bought my truck... Then drove to my dads in north georgia... went through atlanta... You can definatly lay it down there too.. LOL... nice smooth roads no major turns...
Old 01-02-2009, 02:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know what you guys mean. When getting on the Interstate, I always floor it. With my SRT, I think that I am going 65 mph, when in reality I am going 90 mph. It is really difficult to judge speed because of the effortless power of the 6.1 Hemi.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:08 AM

I have to set the cruise if I want to keep it below 90. I'll be getting my ticket when I have a car come up beside and want to challenge me. It goes from 80 to 150 real quick. And I don't think even my radar detector will give me enough warning fro trouble ahead.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:50 AM

I have had the car for 4 days now and I have tried to be good and follow the break-in procedures. Its just so damn HARD! I haven't done any wide open throttle bursts, but I have let it cruise up to speed a few times on the Autobahn. Let me tell you this car has some LONG legs. I've only let her get up to 130, and that was only for a few seconds. But at 120mph in 6th gear, she just purrs along below 3,000 RPM. I know, 6th is an overdrive gear, but that is just damn impressive to me. I cant wait for Spring to really let her loose.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:05 PM

The autos are just as deceptive, maybe moreso because you aren't as involved in shifting. Just out of curiosity, how many RPMs are you turning when going 70mph?
Old 01-07-2009, 10:43 AM

ORIGINAL: Zoomin

The autos are just as deceptive, maybe moreso because you aren't as involved in shifting. Just out of curiosity, how many RPMs are you turning when going 70mph?
Ill get back to you on this one soon....

Edit:

70MPH =
1600 RPM in 6th
2500 RPM in 5th

Thanks for the excuse to go for one last trip tonight.

Quick Reply: My GAWD!! She loves to stretch her legs.