Notices
Engine Got engine work, simple or complex? Let's hear about it!

cold air intake

Old 10-01-2008, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: cold air intake

so what is the final verdict guys?

Mopar CAI or K&N?

where's the cheapest place to buy the Mopar one in case I go that route?
Old 10-01-2008, 02:30 PM

oh wait is the Mopar CAI only for the 6.1?
that is what the Catalog says that I have.
me gots the 5.7

Old 10-01-2008, 05:45 PM

I think before we go there, we need to find out if these numbers are real....that is my main concern before I drop $400 bones for something Im not gonne get or even notice....that could buy alot of beer!!!!!!!(and gas I guess....lol)
Old 10-01-2008, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

I would do the upgrades in this order:

1. Exhaust and (headers if on the 5.7L as you can wait on the 6.1L because they are tubular and are pretty good)

2. Pulley

3. Cold air intake

Just my 2¢.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:59 PM

Pulley...?? What pulley? And why are we changing it?
Old 10-02-2008, 12:33 AM

yea, what is the Pulley?
Old 10-02-2008, 05:33 AM

Here is what the pully does:

An underdrive pulley is a replacement pulley that bolts up the same as stock, but has a different size (ratio) and material specifications intended to free up lost horsepower. By increasing the diameter of each accessory pulley and decreasing the size of the crank pulley, the speed at which the accessories are turning relative to engine RPM decreases.
Under drive pulleys do not add power to the engine, they free up the power that is normally wasted on overdriven accessories. The theory is that a larger pulley will drive the accessories slower thus reducing their parasitic horsepower loss. No more power total, but more power sent to the wheels. As an additional benefit, the reduction in wear (less usage) on the accessories due to the lower duty cycles can extend the life of these parts.
For example, the alternator, power steering, water pump and air compressor rob horsepower from the engine. By replacing factory-sized harmonic balancer pulley with the resized SFI. approved 20% reduction 7 rib crank pulley and harmonic balancer, the accessories are slowed, resulting in more horsepower available to the drive wheels.
This will increase horsepower up to 12 RWHP, and increase mileage by 1 to 2 MPG
Old 10-02-2008, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks bruce41 for the post, that saved me some time explaining what an underdrive pulley does.

I suspect some of these guys thought they knew a lot about cars but were missing the simplest things like an underdrive pulley.

I am sure somebody is going to start a post on underdrive pulley's now.

I bet some don't even know the new Hemi has 16 spark plugs. Now watch somebody take their car apart to see for themselves.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:57 AM

I'm new to the forum, just got my Challenger a couple of weeks ago. What a car, I love it.
I'm currently looking for a cold air intake but can't find it anywhere. Does anyone know where I can find it?
Old 11-20-2008, 12:14 PM

I ordered and received the K/N intake box and have a local machine shop just fabricating some tubular bends for me to powder coat. The intake cost me $300cdn and the piping and coating will run me about $100. I figure this way I get the intake hp and the clean look of matched to paint piping witout the black plasticy look.

I've run intakes and pulleys and exhaust systems on 4cyl imports. It does make a difference, not sure how much notice would be on a big engine, although it won't do the car harm, but it will improve flow and response to the throttle.

Quick Reply: cold air intake