Notices
General 1970-1974 Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the E-body (1970-1974) Dodge Challenger

1971 Challenger R/T

Old 12-09-2008, 07:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1971 Challenger R/T

Look for the Broadcast sheets. They are usually located in the front/rear seat backs. The mice may have already eaten them. I have found the best place for the sheets to survive is behind the plastic back panels of the front bucket seats. Undo the 2 phillips head screws and gently pry the top of the panel away from the seat. Look inside and usually placed behind the seat back springs is a folded broadcast sheet. This sheet, if for your car would be the best document for the proper restoration of your car. I found one for my Challenger in the passenger bucket and one for another Challenger in the drivers bucket. The other Challenger was built just after mine. I have found that this is not unusual to find other broadcast sheets from different cars.

One thing is if this is a LA built car, they do not have broadcast sheets.

Bob

Old 12-09-2008, 06:01 PM

Bob, thats, awsome I hadn't ever been told to look there. So excited and armed with your information I decided tonight I would drive to my parents place where the car is stored and check it out. I completley removed the entire seat plactic back on driver and passenger and found NOTHING!!!!!. So I am going to pose this question? I know that it isn't un heard of for some cars to have two or more broadcast sheets, but is is it heard of that some cars didn't receive any sheets? I did find a dime sized corner of what I beleived to be a broadcast sheet underneath the carpeting last summer, that was all.

In the seat back would it be just lying in side the void between the back and supports, or between the supports and foam? Would if it have been there been easily seen? I did not find anything of paper material at all. I did find an alluminum tag with three lines of numbers and letters inside the passenger seat. The tag was wired to the seat supports? Is this an indication that the seats have been re-done? The drive seat is in good conditon but the pass, is poor and thats where such tag was found. If I can this weekend i'll get some pics unless it is nothing.

While I have to admit it is fun trying to uncover this particular vehicles past I am getting fairly frustrated. I don't have the documentation I need.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:08 PM

Someone else told me once to check the upper side of the glove box for a taped broadcast sheet? I have not taken the dash apart yet to check that location. Is that my last posible place to find any information?
Old 12-09-2008, 11:44 PM

Yes definately check on top of the glove box. Check out this web site http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/found.shtml for possibly more info. I found 3 broadcast sheets in my Challenger, but I have owned it since 1982. The 2nd sheet was for a different Challenger though so I sent it to the above web site owner, Barry Washington. A super nice guy doing a wonderful service for our hobby.
Bob
Old 12-10-2008, 10:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My broadcast sheet was under the bottom back seat between the springs and foam. I had to remove it very carefully or it would have crumbled to dust. Next I took it and laminated it before it desintigrated Thats the only place I have found it myself. Good luck. Your car seems to be with the combination "deep burnt orange". I have a GTX with the same color seats and interior. The color of the body is deep burnt orange. Its a really nice color and the interior has always been classy. Look to a place that was hard to sray and see if you can get the original paint color.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:38 PM

Hey Andrew, just for future reference. Since you live in Illinois there is a Mopar only swap meet next year in Indianapolis. March 7-8 2009. Indiana State Fair grounds. This is a great swap meet with a lot of Mopar only parts vendors both old parts and new parts.
Bob
Old 12-10-2008, 05:37 PM

Thanks guys, I appreciate any and all info. Will mark the dates for INDY. As far as dismantleing the dash thats going to have to wait till spring dad has blocked in my challenger with the junk my work space is now winter storage.[:@]
Old 12-10-2008, 05:42 PM

That is the 1970 Hamtramck Regisrty I posted about that on another thread wondering about is't legitamacy. I think it's great as well I just wanted to get some feedback before I registered. My friend had his cars Identity stolen so I am leary when it comes to VIN and other car specific information. But other than VIN# I am ok cause I know nothing