Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

"General Lee" Challenger

Old 08-15-2008, 09:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "General Lee" Challenger

The August 15, 2008 of The Sun, published a write-up on the Challenger.

Overall, the British love the car (exept for its 14 mpg) and call it a "monster."

However, they are mostly clueless about the car by comparing it to the General Lee and Charger's big brother. Here is the entire article:

"Itwas like being taken back in time to Hazzard County.
At the wheel of the new Dodge Challenger I could almost hear the sirens from Rosco’s police car and the bellowing voice of Boss Hogg.

For one day I was one of the Duke boys, kicking up dust across the Deep South in a bright orange Dodge.

Hip to be square ... rectangular exhaust pipes

In truth, I was in the deep south of England — the New Forest near Southampton — but it wasn’t a true General Lee (that was a Charger, the Challenger’s little brother). But I don’t care.

I’ve just been the first journalist to get a drive of the Challenger in the UK.

It’s a dead ringer for the Dukes Of Hazzard classic — and it is simply sensational.

The US firm have re-created this star, based on the Seventies classic, by beefing it up and putting it on a Chrysler 300C platform.

Dodge have just launched it in the US but have yet to decide if it will come here in right-hand-drive.

The new Challenger SRT-8 is not as sleek as the original — streamlining has been sacrificed for muscle to make it safer.

Curves ... swooping bonnet is eye-catching

But there’s nothing like it on UK roads.

It has five-spoke chrome wheels, sunken grille, huge air intakes on the bonnet, side sills and a car-width back brake light.

The real eye-catchers are the swooping bonnet, go-faster stripes paint job, a unique badge that doubles as the reverse light and rectangular exhausts.

Inside there’s a lot of leather with comfy seats, a decent stereo and a few token badges.

The 6.1litre V8 engine pumps out 425bhp, giving 0-60mph in 4.9 seconds and a top speed of 174mph.

Like most American cars it’s more at home in a straight line, and cornering is vague at times.

Sadly, it’s not cheap to run.

Not only would the insurance be a maximum Group 20 but it only does about 20mpg.

I drove conservatively at times yet the on-board computer was showing a paltry fuel economy of 14mpg.

Annoyingly, in America it costs just 40,000 dollars — roughly £20,000.

As a left-hand-drive import over here, the Challenger costs just under £50,000.

If Dodge were to bring it to the UK in right-hand drive, it would cost less which, when it comes to bhp for your bucks, would make it a decent rival for the equally macho Vauxhall VXR8."

The article did have great photos. See:

Hazzard warning | The Sun |Motors|Phil Lanning
Old 08-15-2008, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: "General Lee" Challenger

Funny thing is, I play a video game called Forza 2 on X-Box. It has a challenger concept that you can drive. It also has an awesome car editor. I spent about 4 hours painting my Challenger to look like the General Lee.