Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

*ahem* Found this on the 'stang forums

Old 09-06-2006, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *ahem* Found this on the 'stang forums

"I assume you're talking about the Challenger because Dodge ALREADY makes a 420 hp Charger (it's called the SRT8). Guess what, it's hardly a threat to Ford in Challenger or Charger format. It's so pig-heavy that the current Charger SRT8 will just barely hang with a stock GT. Put an intake and tune on a GT and it will walk the SRT8. The new Challenger will be built on the Chrysler 300 chassis, same as the Charger. Even though it's a two door, it's going to be a BIG car. I saw it at the Dallas Auto Show, and it is indeed BIG. The base model will probably get a 6 cylinder, then the next model up will probably by the Daytona R/T Hemi and the upper end model will be the 425 hp hemi. The upper model will have trouble with lightly modded GTs and will not come anywhere close to the performance of the Shelby.

By the way, you guys that don't think the Shelby performs have been reading too many Motor Trends. Lethal swapped the pulley and tires and tossed a tune on theirs and they're running low 11's. LOW 11'S. AS IN A HAIR FROM 10'S! Forget the Challenger, it's not a contender. I would love to see it be a contender, but it's on the wrong chassis. They should have designed it from the ground up, but I can certainly understand them not wanting to spend the development money to do so. "

I found this on the mustang forums...What do youguys think? Will challengers really have trouble with lightly modded GTs?
Old 09-06-2006, 07:56 PM
Administrator

Default RE: *ahem* Found this on the 'stang forums

which mustang forum?
Old 09-06-2006, 07:57 PM

www.mustangforums.com/

under the 2005-2007 4.0 v6 section
Old 09-06-2006, 08:14 PM

Two words...who cares? You can go back and forth tweaking and modifying this or that on each car and squeeze a little more performance out of it. I think, in fairness, you have to give DCX a few years with the Challenger before you can draw valid comparisons. Ford has had the Mustang going for awhile & the fact they have a Shelby model is great. They have had the luxury of time to develop that. I could forsee DCX doing something similar with the Cuda label (absent Plymouth) in a couple years. The fact that DCX is building this on a common platform is SMART!!! That's a great strategy to optimize production resources and everything I hear is that the products coming off that line enjoy good underpinnings.

This kind of stuff doesn't bother me a whit. If this guy likes the Mustang I say GO BUY ONE!
Old 09-06-2006, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator

I will respond to that with three simple letters and an exclamation point. L O L! Who ever wrote that has no clue what they are talking about. Road and Track found that the Charger SRT-8 did 0-60 in 4.8 secs with an automatic. I have seen between 5.1-5.4 secs for the manual Mustang GT. The Challenger appears it will have a functional cold air intake from the hood with a K&N from the front, which the Charger doesn't have. The Challenger is supposed to weigh less than the Charger and will have a manual that should cut down the time some as well. They are just trying to reassure themselves that they aren't in trouble but they are.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 09-07-2006, 01:38 PM

That is just some idiots brain ramble but it does bring up a good discussion. The stang boys are playing with their toys while we wait and continue to save, lol.

Mustang GTs are somewhat small cars, I don't think being a big, tall guy that I would fit or be comfortable in one anyway, they are light and it helps.

From what I here, the Shelby 500 can not put that hp on the road. It is to much powerful for those tires and maybe the car is to light. It is just a burnout when accelerating on the street.

I believe the Challenger SRT-8 will be a rocket. The size and weight of the car may help transfer the 425 hp to the road. The dyno test on the 6.1 hemi is supposed be estimated low at 425 and is actualy more, i have heard whispers of closer to 500! If the car is indead a pig it will hurt but if it is lighter than the Charger and packs a bit more punch with the intake system, then watchout. This car will motor and that hemi matched with a manual could be a lethal mixture for muscle and performance.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator

I agree. They will be gravely mistaken if they don't think the Challenger SRT-8 won't be a good "Challenger" to their GT500s, which it sounds like this group doesn't even have a GT model. Just V6 drivers blowing out hot air.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 09-07-2006, 03:16 PM

I'm sure the performance of both mustang and challenger are good enough for me. I'm not looking for a hard core drag racing - street terror, I don't need any more tickets. But the challengers awsome looks alone will leave the stangs (and camaros) in the dust.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator

Also very true; however, remember that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There are still some who will think it is not attractive (though I will suggest to such people to get their eyes checked).

I always believed the 94-01 Rams and 93-97 Intrepids were the best looking truck and car out there; however, I know people who consider them to be ugly. I think they are either blind or tasteless but they still exist.

A die hard Ford or GM fan may not see it this way. I for one think the Challenger blows the Mustang and Camaro away in looks hands down, but not everyone thinks this way.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 09-08-2006, 09:59 AM

I think stangs look great and they perform. One advantage stangs will always have is the boat load of aftermarket parts to accessorize with.

We should all be glad that the muscle car era is reborn. We haven't seen these types of horsepower / torque numbers in 35 years. It is a good time for all muscle car lovers no matter what they drive!

Quick Reply: *ahem* Found this on the 'stang forums