Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

1st year bugs

Old 07-21-2006, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st year bugs

Wondering why the Challenger would have problems in its 1st year of production as the car would seem to inherit a platform that is already on the road? As I understand it the Charger, Magnum, 300, etc... utilize the same components. Shouldn't they prove road tested by now? I see posts from some saying they will wait a year to avoid these problems but I am thinking that DCX should benefit from this fact. Any comments on that? Thanks...
Old 07-22-2006, 12:13 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: 1st year bugs

Well it is one thing to have tried and true components but it is another thing to get them to all work together in harmony.

Car are getting so complicated that they are not using electrical signals but electronic ones to communicate via CAN, LIN, and MOST busses.

If you do not know what those are then you have no appreciation how complex cars are these days.

Firestone is in the news again as they can't seem to make a safe tire.

Ford had cruise control solenoids in their F150 trucks that liked to burn your car and your house down while it is parked in the garage.

How long has the F150 been manufactured?

Not to put DCX in the same ranks as the "F" companies but designs flaws and mistakes do happen and get overlooked.

Besides the 6.4L will hopefully be out by then. The anticipation is kinda like waiting for Christmas.

I have never been first generation person anyway. Blu-Ray or HD-DVD.....which one? I'll let you guys buy first and I will buy later.

Just some of my thoughts.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 07-22-2006, 02:24 PM

I do appreciate that cars are complicated but by no means am an expert. I would think that by having these systems on the road today you could at least feel more confidence in buying a 1st year Challenger than if the car hit the road with brand new frame, suspension, engine, etc...

I really didn't think twice about buying one in the first year but some of the posts began to create doubts in my mind. Do you think one year on the road would reveal flaws or do you think it will take longer than that? Also, have you heard of any complaints on the vehicles today that share the components planned for Challenger? I suspect that problems found in the shared systems in those models would likely carry over if not addressed.
Old 07-22-2006, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

Gosh, do worry about my post. If you really want a Challenger go for it. Most if any problems that will occur I am sure DCX
will have a solution for the problem. You are right that since so many components are being used there should be minimal problems.
I believe the LY platform is identical but just about 4" shorter that the LX.

Most of the time unless it is a hazard or a danger the recalls will not be in the press but in the form of a letter to the owner. Whether problems are discovered
in the first year depends on how senstive the problem is to miles and time.

Granted the $140K Ford GT was a short lived car and the parts were not used on other platforms but you may find the report below interesting:

Problems
Early production Ford GT experienced a few minor problems (including glitches with the electrical and climate control systems, leaking power steering and engine coolant hoses, and a steering column rattle on some cars), and two bigger problems.

In December of 2004, Ford recalled all Ford GTs that had been built up to that point (448 units were built, but only 283 had been shipped to dealers, and only 106 had been delivered to retail customers) because of concerns regarding the strength of the suspension control arms. They had been "squash cast" for added strength, a new process also used by Porsche and Alfa Romeo. But after Ford discovered a crack in one of the high-mileage development cars, the company decided to replace the parts on all the production cars. Ford is not the only manufacturer of exotic cars to have such problems, for example, a similar problem was found on the Ferrari F40.[3]

There was also a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) to inspect the engine on early cars built in 2004 for an oil leak at the main seal. The finish of some crankshafts was flawed, causing an oil leak. Ford dealers stopped the leak with a new main seal and a "Speedi-Sleeve" around the crankshaft, a device commonly used to repair worn engines in older cars. Some journalists felt that this was an improper fix for an expensive supercar and criticized Ford for not either replacing the defective crankshaft or replacing the entire engine.

There are a few other TSBs for the car. TSBs are Technical Service Bulletins that help eliminate problems that some cars may have. The Ford GT TSBs show that some cars may need hose clamps adjusted or replaced, and a few other tiny problems. They are also issued to inform repair shops how to repair paint damaged by acid rain, etc.

Like I said, if you want a Challenger go for it and of course the flip side other than minor problems that will be fixable, the first year will probably be collectibles some day. I hope that gets rid of your doubts and builds your passion back up for the awesome muscular looking Challenger.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 07-22-2006, 09:09 PM

don't buy anytime the car in its first year and sometime its second.. you gotta read some reviews on it first, know what problems it might have..
Old 07-22-2006, 09:21 PM

My passion is pretty intact...trust me. I am super geeked about the Challenger and will absolutely have one. Thanks for the discussion...just wanted to really get some inelligent feedback
Old 07-23-2006, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: awsure

My passion is pretty intact...trust me. I am super geeked about the Challenger and will absolutely have one. Thanks for the discussion...just wanted to really get some inelligent feedback
awsure......just for clarification just know that when I talk about passion, I am referring to an enthusiasm but not a boundless enthusiasm.

True passion is a boundless enthusiasm.....one that you live for and live by.......and for me that is Jesus Christ.

Hobbies is something you should enjoy but not live by. The danger is sometimes hobbies/interests can be all
consuming to the point that that is all we think about.

Priorities in life should be:

1. God - Mark 12:30 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.
2. Family- Ephesians 5:25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her
3. Friends - Luke 10:27 Love your neighbor as yourself
4. Work - Ephesians 6:7 Work with enthusiasm, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people.
5. The rest - Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12 Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. 13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.

The scripture below is what I read last night that made me write this post, so not to confuse people when I use the phrase "passion for the Challenger".

Titus 2:11-15 NIV

11For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men. 12It teaches us to say "No" to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age, 13while we wait for the blessed hope—the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, 14who gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good.

15These, then, are the things you should teach. Encourage and rebuke with all authority. Do not let anyone despise you.

Old 07-25-2006, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

Awsure let me give you an example. My parents in '91 bought a Caravan one that had just been restyled. Although the platform was the same as it was one the original, we had many recalls. The rear hatch was recalled due to opening during an accident, the seat belts were recalled, the seat latches were recalled, and a ton of stuff I can't even remember.

Another example, my cousin has a 96 Mercury Sable. Although the platform didn't change, it has tons of problems my father's 98 Taurus never had. It has less than a 100,000 and the engine overheats when you stop at a STOP sign, it is constantly losing coolent, the car gives off the constant bling that you get if you leave the key in the ignition and have the door open, when the door is shut and the key isn't in ignition, the steering has some issue that escapes me now. My father's '98 Taurus had 137,XXX miles when he traded it in and it had none of those problems with the same gas guzzling, gutless engine. Same car just first year issues.

Just because the platform isn't new doesn't mean they won't have problems on a refreshed model. The Challenger is going to be on the LY platform which is very similar to the LX but still different enough to be reworked and have room for problems. If you want it badly enough and your willing to put up with the first year issues, more power to you. Go ahead and buy it. Just realize that cars have first year issues. That is what is killing Toyota (and I'm enjoying every moment of it).

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 07-25-2006, 07:04 PM

Makes sense...Maybe I am making too much out of it but seems to me the 2nd year does not guarantee they fix the bugs that pop up in year one does it? I am hopeful that the first year cars will prove pretty sound. I plan on at least waiting six months to (cross my fingers) let some of the buzz die down so the dealers do not punish my bank account too badly. I would think we would hear about any major complaints by then. Thanks!
Old 07-26-2006, 12:45 PM

Killing Toyota? Don't make me laugh, Toyota is about to be #1 in the world in sales!

Quick Reply: 1st year bugs