Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

2009 Rumor

Old 05-05-2008, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Rumor

Heard Dodge may nix the stick in the Srt8, but keep it in the RT. Didn;t make sense to me but then again with everything else running around one cannot be too sure. Just thought I'ld give a heads up for the people waiting it out, and they may want to be certain before asuuming. Hopefully I'm wrong in what I had heard.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:38 AM

Default RE: 2009 Rumor

Not necessarily agreeing here, but I heard something similar. Seems the 6 speed breaks the tires loose too easily on the SRT8 and there is an IIHS requirement they have to meet. I understand they are still testing this configuration. I am hoping to hear more news on this too. I have my cousin pinned against a wall until he squeals like a pig. (trying to think of the movie that line came from .... Oh yeah, "Deliverance") Let me change that. I'll apply pressure until he coughs up the truth. Naw, too graphic. Hmm, how about this. I will share what I learn as soon as I am able.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:03 PM

Stick some Viper tires under there, we will be good to go.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:18 PM

Hard to believe that they would nix the stick in the SRT because it transmits torque too aggressively. As stated above, including some extra-wide, sticky tires in the SRT8 versino of "Trak-Pak " should put the problem to rest. Or they could always play with the rear differential gearing so that the gearing is no lower than needed for acceleration. But not to offer a stick shift on your top-performing model is nonsense. For the first year while working the kinks out...sure. But it really should be included at some point. I can't afford the SRT anyway, but still....
Old 05-05-2008, 12:36 PM

ORIGINAL: djb0308
Heard Dodge may nix the stick in the Srt8, but keep it in the RT.
Yet another ridiculous rumor...
Old 05-05-2008, 02:33 PM

It better just be a rumor because i was planning on getting an '09 SRT8 manual.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:06 PM

ORIGINAL: DK challenger

It better just be a rumor because i was planning on getting an '09 SRT8 manual.
No worries. Ya gotta wonder who comes up with this kind of stuff and if there is any common sense involved.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:12 PM
Administrator

ive never heard of a regulation against tires turning too easily...id be interested in reading about that law.

in theory, all you would have to do to overcome this problem is change the stock gearing in the trans and possibly the rear diff...simply going from a 5 speed to a 6 speed should fix the issue a bit as first gear would likely not be as aggressive.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 73Cuda340

Not necessarily agreeing here, but I heard something similar. Seems the 6 speed breaks the tires loose too easily on the SRT8 and there is an IIHS requirement they have to meet. I understand they are still testing this configuration. I am hoping to hear more news on this too. I have my cousin pinned against a wall until he squeals like a pig. (trying to think of the movie that line came from .... Oh yeah, "Deliverance") Let me change that. I'll apply pressure until he coughs up the truth. Naw, too graphic. Hmm, how about this. I will share what I learn as soon as I am able.
In case anyone was wondering about IIHS, I looked it up. It stands for the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. It is an independent, nonprofit, scientific, and educational organization dedicated to reducing the losses — deaths, injuries, and property damage — from crashes on the nation's highways. It rates and publishes insurance loss results by vehicle make and model. The ratings are good, acceptable, marginal, or poor based on performance in high-speed front and side crash tests plus evaluations of seat/head restraints for protection against neck injuries in rear impacts.

For example, the 2006/7 Charger receive "good" ratings on frontal impact tests, "marginal" on side impact tests with optional side air bags, and "poor" on side impact tests without side air bags.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:48 PM

ummmm.... i would be puttin on some big "o" 12" wide wheels and tires on then.

Quick Reply: 2009 Rumor