Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

6 Speeds

Old 09-16-2008, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 6 Speeds

Click on his name says Plainfield, IL.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:18 AM

This is my opinion so dont blast me if someone comes out with an official answer that is different.
I think there are several reasons the manual costs more:

1. Its a higher-end transmission used in the Viper, Corvette and more.
2. There are extra goodies that come with the manual. (ie track pak, rear-end, bright pedals)
3. Its the first Non-Viper Dodge Car to have one in a long time. Took some engineer some extra time to figure out how to make it work with the platform.
4. Face it, manuals just arent as common on consumer vehicles in the US these days. They are considered special equipment for performance enthusiasts.

Its amazing how many people Ive met lately that have no idea how to drive a stick. I learned to drive in an automatic Taurus, but it wasnt long before I learned to drive manual. But even in my generation, Im the exception to the rule. In the current generation it is even more rare to find someone with the ability. My first experience with a stick was my Aunts 85 Blazer w/ three-on-the-tree. But most of my training came from my assigned vehicle in Korea. It was a 1953 Duece and 1/2. Man I miss driving that truck. Too bad the Army as gotten rid of most of them, and converted the rest to automatics. I guess my point in all this is that stick shifting seems to be a dying art. Automatics are more common, convenient and now cheaper to build. Many new performace cars these days are going to the sequential gearboxes for faster shift times. It wont be long before the venerable stick goes the way of the dodo.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:55 AM

I would hvae to agree with you SKIDs. I'm 31 and I would say 3/4 of my friends don't even know how to drive a manual or care to learn. I learned from the old man when I was 15 on a 1985 Mustang GT and have had only 1 auto car (explorer). Too me, I love driving a "sports car" with a manual.. makes it tons of fun!

ORIGINAL: SKiDs33t

This is my opinion so dont blast me if someone comes out with an official answer that is different.
I think there are several reasons the manual costs more:

1. Its a higher-end transmission used in the Viper, Corvette and more.
2. There are extra goodies that come with the manual. (ie track pak, rear-end, bright pedals)
3. Its the first Non-Viper Dodge Car to have one in a long time. Took some engineer some extra time to figure out how to make it work with the platform.
4. Face it, manuals just arent as common on consumer vehicles in the US these days. They are considered special equipment for performance enthusiasts.

Its amazing how many people Ive met lately that have no idea how to drive a stick. I learned to drive in an automatic Taurus, but it wasnt long before I learned to drive manual. But even in my generation, Im the exception to the rule. In the current generation it is even more rare to find someone with the ability. My first experience with a stick was my Aunts 85 Blazer w/ three-on-the-tree. But most of my training came from my assigned vehicle in Korea. It was a 1953 Duece and 1/2. Man I miss driving that truck. Too bad the Army as gotten rid of most of them, and converted the rest to automatics. I guess my point in all this is that stick shifting seems to be a dying art. Automatics are more common, convenient and now cheaper to build. Many new performace cars these days are going to the sequential gearboxes for faster shift times. It wont be long before the venerable stick goes the way of the dodo.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:02 AM

There was a delay building manual cars. If you look at the registry only one has been delivered, or so that person says. From what I can tell Brucer will be the first posting member of the forum who receives a manual car.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:10 AM

And my palms are sweaty, my brow is wet and I am soooo ready to get my hands on that beast! So far no new update this AM. I am hoping it was trucked to the distro center last night or this AM and loaded on a train. There may be an issue with it getting here as I80 has been closed to all traffic in Indiana and the rail lines run close to it.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:38 AM

I know what you mean, brucer41. I was reading about the flooding in the St. Louis area last night. Naturally, mine is supposed to ship through East St. Louis, Ill. [&:]
Old 09-17-2008, 03:08 PM

I taught my daughter how to drive stick. She wanted to buy a Sonoma 6 cyl. with 4-speed. Went to a GMC dealer took a purple one out for a test drive. She told the salesman she didn't know to drive stick before we left. I drove it off the lot, then we switched seats. We were gone about an hour she drove it back. Then she told the salesman she'll take the SILVER one.