Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

7.0 Hemi?

Old 08-22-2007, 01:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 7.0 Hemi?

I found this tidbit of information in a wikipedia article about Hemi engines:

"On Aug. 17, 2007, a rumor surfaced that the 2008/2009 Challenger SRT will, in fact, be powered by a 7.0L hemi engine - marking the return not only of the Challenger marquee, but also of a 426 cubic inch displacement engine. The engine reportedly will be based (loosely based) on the current hemi engines, but will feature four valves per cylinder with dual-independent variable cam timing. Reportedly, this step was needed to best the Chevrolet LS7 engine, which is slated for the 2009 Camaro redux. Performance figures for the 7.0L hemi have not been disclosed yet."

To read the full article see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Hemi_engine
Old 08-22-2007, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 7.0 Hemi?

Nice speculation, but that's all it is. Especially when it comes from Wikipedia, basically it has as much credibility as anything else on the internet, or message board for that matter. Basically, if the person on here is who he says he is then we can definitely see the 6.1 coming out with the release, any other engines are rumor right now and unfortunately hold no credibility until there is a little better evidence to back it up.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:44 PM

Why are so many people here so "quick" to believe any tired rumor about excessive pricing on the Challenger even if provided by the guy who ask "if you want ketchup with the fries" but this is shot down with the first post.

Me, I'm excited. I want to own every Ford and Chevy I run against and I rather do it without after-market add ons.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:23 PM

Not true. There is a 6.9 that has been developed for SRT and is in the product plan for Challenger, but I don't know if it has been approved. And as far as I know, it's just a Hemi, not some DOHC thing.

Besides, they won't need DOHC to beat the LS7. LS7 makes 505 hp. The 6.4 that is going in the SRT Challenger should beat that without a problem.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

I read this 7.0 Hemi thing about 6 weeks ago, but I did not want to bring it up because as far as I can tell it is just shear speculation.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:40 AM

Basically, this is what I say about Dodge and the reputation. When a new engine is so close to being brought out, there is usually a little more information about it on the internet. When they were testing out the 5.7 Hemi and the 6.1 Hemi, I could read about it on more places then just the message boards or on Wikipedia, actually, I don't think that was around back then. It actually came from credible sources that said they were testing out these engines, I remember the 6.1 having issues so it took them longer then they wanted to bring out that engine. Here we are sitting six months away from launch of the Challenger and suddenly there's talk of a 6.4 and a 7.0 but nothing about testing of it, no credible information other then inside sources that heard from a source that saw the mother of the CEO in the office.

Basically, what I'm saying about all of this is that I don't want to get to excited. Yeah, I have to admit that some of it's there, yeah, I would love a Challenger that cold smoke the Mustang and the Camaro with those engines, but right now I'm looking at the 5.7L sitting in a heavy car with IRS. Unless that changes, I think the Mustang with it's 300 hp is going to run about the same as the Challenger with it's 425 hp. Now the 6.1 on the other hand....
Old 08-23-2007, 08:07 AM
Administrator

while it is no secret that the 6.4 (392) is very real...these 7.0L rumors have been going around for quite some time. if they were ever to release this engine in a vehicle, i would have to think that it would be the long-rumored "viper hemi"...or some other ultra high end vehicle.

also, whoever wrote that wiki articles didnt know that the LS7 is already in production, and it makes 505hp? the same as the 6.4? the only reason that the challenger would "need" a bigger engine, is because it weighs 4200lbs!
Old 08-23-2007, 08:24 AM

Let me rephrase that, both of these engines are indeed real in one way or the other, but testing in terms on them being in the Challenger have not been done, of course I suppose there is a chance that they could be testing them, though by indications they are either having problems with it, since they are bringing out the 6.1 in the Challenger, or they want to have a unified launch. Or, I may just be screwed up all around and have no clue what I'm talking about. Wouldn't be the first.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:05 AM
Administrator

most of the production 6.4 rumors that i have heard, have claimed that they are having cooling problems with it...ive heard this from people in auburn hills, one of which has spent some time behind the wheel of the challenger.

im sure most people here have seen the pictures of the charger srt8 with the masked up challenger front end (some of which i shot)...*supposedly* that is one of the test vehicles working on the cooling problem, and they are using the challenger front end on a charger chassis to try to solve the cooling issues..ive seen a few other odd mules around AH lately, including a masked SVT badged ford truck...

uh oh, look at me speculating!

*DISCLAIMER*-MY COMMENTS IN THIS POST ARE RUMORS, AND THERE IS NO BASIS OTHER THAN WORD-OF-MOUTH. THESE RUMORS ARE NOT FACT. I just want to make clear that here, rumors are rumors, not scripture.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:28 AM

Well see, I stand corrected. They could be testing the engine in the Challenger....sort of.

What I'm seeing is that maybe 08 is a bad year to get the Challenger, other then it's going to be very expensive. Engine wise, it looks like the people that get the 08 may just get screwed over because new engines are coming out in 09. Granted this information is from a truck website, but being that the 5.7 is the same in the car as it is in the truck, other then the car looses some power, then I'm sure this is going to be the same thing in the cars, changes to the engines.

From www.pickuptruck.com

Some new powertrain information has also come to light.

At a recent industry conference in Traverse City, Michigan, Frank Klegon, Chrysler's executive vice president of product development, reiterated earlier statements that Chrysler is focused on producing advanced engines for all its vehicles, including the Ram.

Mr. Klegon highlighted, "A significantly upgraded version of the renowned 5.7-liter HEMI V8 with gains in fuel efficiency, refinement, horsepower and torque, will debut in the 2009 model year."

It's rumored part of the HEMI power boost will come from the addition of variable valve timing and a bump in displacement.

Quick Reply: 7.0 Hemi?