Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

/////////////

Old 10-05-2008, 06:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default /////////////

/////////////
Old 10-05-2008, 09:41 AM

Default RE: Does anyone know where..

The 6.1 required additional cooling. It also has the heavy duty cooling system where I don't believe it is available in the R/T.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:26 AM

ORIGINAL: TaylorSF
I can't believe they just put in fake grilles that don't let air in.
Car companies do stuff like that all the time, they've been doing it for decades. You think the scoops on the SE's hood are the least bit functional?
Old 10-05-2008, 10:39 AM

OK, I believe but the question is ....can they be made functional??? I too would like to know. A little look tells me " maybe" as you would need to cut thru the felt underhood sound blanket in the area of the scoops and then either buy the SRT8 hood scoops or drill a bunch of holes in your own scoop. The only thing I don't know is if the scoop itself is mounted in an actual hole in the hood or just mounted on the outside of the hood. We would have to take one apart to find this out. Someone will surely try this soon ....I hope ..LOL Let us know anyone , OK ?? thanks Fat Cat[sm=gears.gif]
Old 10-05-2008, 11:10 AM

The scoops actually take in air that travels thru the channels in the hoout and out some plastic ducts mounted at the rear of the hood near the firewall. I wouldn't suggest cutting the felt insulation blanket on the underside of the hood. Might want to do a little exploration and compare to the SRT8 if possible.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: fatcat

OK, I believe but the question is ....can they be made functional??? I too would like to know. A little look tells me " maybe" as you would need to cut thru the felt underhood sound blanket in the area of the scoops and then either buy the SRT8 hood scoops or drill a bunch of holes in your own scoop. The only thing I don't know is if the scoop itself is mounted in an actual hole in the hood or just mounted on the outside of the hood. We would have to take one apart to find this out. Someone will surely try this soon ....I hope ..LOL Let us know anyone , OK ?? thanks Fat Cat[sm=gears.gif]
We talked about this alot about 9 months ago and I remember reading that Dodge did not make them truly functional (performance enhanced) because it was too difficult and they couldn't get it to work but they never really said why. A lot of it may have to do with the fact that the holes are on the hood surface and they really need to be about 2-4 inches above the hood for them to be effective due to air pressure and wind speed.

The best they could do is just make them cool the engine.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is true that the small width and height of the Challenger's hood scoops makes them difficult to be truly functional. However, the main reason is the location of the throttle body in relation to the hood scoops. The SRT engineers stated that the bends in the air ducts that would be necessary to connect them would be too restrictive and would negate any ram air effect.

In the old days, this was not a problem since the scoop (think T/A or shaker) was directly above the carbureator.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:43 PM

Default /////////////

////////////

Old 10-05-2008, 01:57 PM

Default /////////////

////////////////
Old 10-05-2008, 02:23 PM

Default RE: The final pictures.....

No pics..
ORIGINAL: TaylorSF

OK,
I kind of thought just drilling holes in the scoop plug would be bad.

I assumed it would let water get trapped between the hood and subhood assembly, bascially a moisture sandwich in the middle of hood.

After seeing the "funnel" hood scoop insert, I realized thats how you get air into the engine compartment, and water to drip down, all while just going through the funnel and never being allowing to be free in space between the top and bottom of the hood.

I have spent a decent amount of time with my car today.

I figured out a no damage potential way to get out the hood grille "plugs" on my RT.

you can see into the scoop just fine now.

Here I turned the plug around so you can see it is indeed just a plug, and obviously no air getting through.

Here you can see, on the bump, the hole I mentioned in my earlier post that I could feel.

Behind the "hole on a bump" you can see the rectangular hole

That rectanular hole is a look from above, in the scoop, of the bottom left rectangular hole you see here in the bottom of the hood.

I am thinking of trying to find and buy the SRT scoop funnels to make my hoods functional.

If I drill my scoop plugs, attache flexible venting, and put that in it will be a lot cheaper. Not sure what route I will go yet. Maybe I need to look at rummage sales for old vacuum cleaner attachments.

Feel free to share the pictures and link the post for others.

The main reason I join a forum is to share information.

The last thing I will share is that functional hood pins are going to be a bear on this. The closest good anchor for the pins is several inches back from the front of the hood. The area the pin needs to go through will be the inner hood, a few inches of space, then the top of the hood. I'll let someone crack the code on that issue and post their pics.