Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Backup Car?

Old 02-03-2008, 05:10 AM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Backup Car?

While I said the STI Subaru, that was a suggestion for what someone else would get with the same money (I might even get it, at some point but not in 09).

Since the Challenger I want will be available, I will get that. If it weren't, I wouldn't feel compelled to spend a lot of money on any car. I'd drive my commuter car which is a 2005 Hyundai Elantra that I got with 1k miles on it for 10K cash to replace my Subaru Legacy Wagon, which I killed one rainy night going around an entrance ramp with a bit too much bravado. I have put, in the two years I have the Elantra, 60K trouble free miles on and find it to be nice riding and has remarkably good acceleration. I commute over an hour each way and I am 6'3" 265 lbs. I am completely uncrowded in it (I still find this amazing), though when a couple of my equally stout friends go to lunch, gets a bit crowded moving the driver seat up to accomodate, but that's not that bad.

My wife encouraged me to get a Camry or a Sonata, higher end what have you. But my plan before killing the Subaru, was to keep it as my commuter, and buy the Challenger. So I didn't want to raid my savings or end up financing too much of the Challenger. If the Challenger didn't exist or wasn't for purchase, I'd drive the Elantra into the ground and if Chrysler hadn't offered something equally retro and alluring, I would have stayed the course bought most likely an Asian car (preferably one assembled here in America like my Subaru was) pocket the money for retirement or have purchased a Victory Vision. Go figure, I'm content with my bikes and cars, and within the same year they announce plans to be build something attractive enough for me to part with my green. I wish I had enough for both, but College is just around the corner for the kids.

In this case it would most certainly be Mopar or NoCar.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:49 AM

My 2000 Grand Am GT1 is still doing fine at 142,000 miles. I purchased it new in 2000 and cannot believe I have had a car 8 years. It needs to make it to the end of this year, but preferably several more years to serve as the winter / back-up vehicle to the Challenger. In my current living / working situation I do about 18,000 miles per year.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:51 PM

Mustang GT manual... but from what I have seen so far, that is HIGHLY unlikely at this point.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

My back up car is a Ford GT.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:00 PM

good luck trying to buy one of those they don't make them anymore probably better off getting one of those kit clones
Old 02-03-2008, 07:11 PM

Worst case I'll just have to wait for the new 'Cuda.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:28 PM

Was thinking about finding a totaled Charger SRT & having a custom shop make me a duplicate of the concept. I wonder what that would cost?
Old 02-03-2008, 07:33 PM

ORIGINAL: awsure

Was thinking about finding a totaled Charger SRT & having a custom shop make me a duplicate of the concept. I wonder what that would cost?
Doubt it would be worth it... besides you'd have a tough time driving that thing... minus an arm and a leg.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:45 PM

I was thinking it might be costly but I have no clue about that kind of stuff. I really dislike gutter strips, B Pillars, extended bumpers, cheapened headlamps, the production taillights, the black shrouds underneath the front end and sides, and the interior that the spy pics show. Other than that I love it... [8D]
Old 03-10-2008, 02:18 AM

Other sports cars that I like are Ford GT, the new Corvette ZR1, and Ferraris.

I also need a small, zippy, practical car for just driving around town and getting into small parking spaces.
For that I like the Mitsubishi Evo, Volkswagen R32, and Mini.

For bigger cars for hauling around more stuff & people, I like Subaru wagons and SUV's.
A Dodge Magnum or a Volvo C30 would be nice too.

For hauling boats, ATV's, motorcycles, furniture, etc. a Dodge truck with a hemi engine would be good.
Or a nice Ford truck.

And lastly I'd like a classic car like a Deusenberg.

Quick Reply: Backup Car?