Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Barrett Jackson 08' Dodge Challenger sells for $400,000!

Old 01-19-2008, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Barrett Jackson 08' Dodge Challenger sells for $400,000!

The number ONE production Challenger in Hemi Orange sells for $400,000 on the nose at the 08 Barrett Jackson Auction!
What are your thoughts?
Old 01-19-2008, 09:27 PM

Default RE: Barrett Jackson 08' Dodge Challenger sells for $400,000!

I've been watching and recording the B J auction all week.

I think the 400,00 is a generous bid for first car and charity. I think it sucks for the winner that Craig Jackson upped the bid on the guy who was pretty much the only bidder. Sad that the Corvette went for a million, but that was over hyped for the charity and Jay Leno, and that the Mustang got lots of time and money too. Challenger was late in the night, and almost did not make on TV before the EST midnight finish

Maybe bodes well for us, as I still contend the SRT 8 (2008's) were ordered up by dealers and not necessarily buyers with money, and that relatively few have gone across ebay for "gouge over sticker" pricing.

As to B J coverage...10 hours live means 7 hours of commercials and 3 hours of cars.

I think the bidding was down because the stock market is down and buyers are coming to their seneses about B J hype. and weird customs and Miami vice race boats are of little interest anyway

I think junk is junk...robo suarus for example.

I think Shelby, Camaro, Chevelle were favored by editors/directors as to what got air time.

I hated that the auctioneers would prolong bidding well past when the bidders were quite finished. Took up way too much time, generated little more money, and was way too much drama where there was none.

I happen to collect Little bird Stuff. I wanted to tape the little birds. Some went through and I taped those. Sadly, even with my B J catalog in hand and watching the cars in order leading up to T bird...they often (not exactly always) cut to commercial during Thunderbird on the block.

Same stupid commercials over and over and over.

I am glad to have seen Challenger and get it on tape. Typical of on stage announcers know nothing, talk like experts...car was rushed.
Steve
Old 01-19-2008, 09:38 PM

Steve, I agree with you 100%. I thought B J and "Speed" did a shitty job on the Challenger. I would have liked to have heard what the auction block was saying about the car. You notice they never opened the hood either. If B J would have placed it any later in the sale order we would never have seen it. Do you think Ford had anything to do with that????
Old 01-19-2008, 10:50 PM

I think Craig Jackson had to do with it. They get paid a buyer's premium. The higher the price, the higher he gets paid (more or less). As such, they dragged out all the time on the other cars, trying to up the money. BUT

I bet he gets something for showing Challenger on TV or something for the charity opportunity.

As a result, the cars just before...maybe the 5 or 6 just before Challenger got rushed through. He even muttered, one time, "we have to move it along'

So I figure, he get paid or benefited some way to show Challenger and did just the minimum to get by.

I don't think Ford had anything to do with mimimal Challenger air time, as sponsor...as much as I think Chrysler dropped the ball in not being on top of the whole BJ thing...as we have seen with Challenger presentation so far and the Chrysler abandonment of Mopar Muscle heritage.
Steve
Old 01-20-2008, 03:16 AM

what did the cuda sell for?
Old 01-20-2008, 03:21 AM

The pres of BJ (sunglasses) slipped up and said no commission on one of the charity cars then retracted it. Thought that was funny. Apparently only 2 or 3 of the charity cars were free of commission.

On the chevys the announcers were all over the engine specs but with one of the 70 cudas they did not even mention the cid!
Old 01-20-2008, 03:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As we all know, the bidding was on the 1st production Challenger- not the concept car. Yet, one of the Barrett-Jackson commentators admired the neon-style tailights and stated that a 6.3 Hemi and an aluminum engine are on the way. Where do they get such misinformation?

Old 01-20-2008, 04:17 AM

where were the dodge celeb's to help promote the new chally, obviously dodge didn't put much effort into it. Do you think because of the unveiling next month?
Old 01-20-2008, 04:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that Dodge didn't hype the auction because they did not want to get the public confused between the concept and the production version that is being unveiled on Feb. 6.

Watching Barret-Jackson last night, I was just thinking how great it would be to have enough money to bid hundreds of thousands of dollars on cars as a hobby. Where do all of these millionaires come from? America is a great country, isn't it?

What you think the combined net worth of the bidders was under that tent??

Did you see Jay Leno, who has more cars than Chrysler and GM, drooling over the Corvette ZR-1. I'll bet he buys one next year!
Old 01-20-2008, 04:31 AM

Yes!!

Quick Reply: Barrett Jackson 08' Dodge Challenger sells for $400,000!