Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Brake Break-in

Old 09-02-2008, 12:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake Break-in

We have talked about how to break the engine in. What about the brakes? I found these recommendations, which I intend to follow, on Tirerack:

"All brake pads must be bedded-in with the rotor they will be used against to maximize brake performance. The bedding-in process involves a gradual build up of heat in the rotors and pad compound. This process will lay down a thin layer of transfer film on to the rotor surface. Following the bed-in procedures provided by the manufacturer will assure a smooth, even layer of transfer film on the rotor and will minimize brake judder.

Bedding-in new pads and rotors should be done carefully and slowly. Rapid heat build up in the brake system can lead to warped rotors and or glazed brake pads. Most brake pad compounds will take up to 300-400 miles to fully develop an even transfer film on the rotors. Following are the recommended bed-in procedures for BREMBO brakes:

In a safe area, apply brakes moderately from 60mph to 30mph and then drive approximately 1/2 mile to allow the brakes to cool. Repeat this procedure approximately 30 times."
Old 09-02-2008, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Brake Break-in

I think we read the same post on this one.

The only problem is this: If I were to try something like that on the Autobahn, Id have to get an Opel-oscopy[sm=insomnia.gif], or an even worse, an Audi-ectomy. [sm=yikesomg.gif]

I think what Im trying to say is, the traffic is a bit too dense around here. And abandonded backroads are in short supply.