Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Camaro may be good for the Challenger

Old 04-20-2008, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camaro may be good for the Challenger

The new Camaro with the 400hp power LS2 engine and 600-700 pounds less in weight might lead Dodge to create the T/A version.
It will take nearly 500hp to get the Challenger capable of competing with the svelte Camaro.

Next Stop... a 392 with a fully functional Shaker Hood.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Camaro may be good for the Challenger

This may be true, but its pretty much the same as the 70s. I like the extra room and will be driving mine quite often. We won't be involved in too many street excursions as often as we will be cruising in our street machines. But additional power is but a order away.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:38 AM

The arrival of the Camaro will be good for all of us looking to get a Challenger ( or a Mustang ) as this SHOULD help keep the purchase price in line with one another. Hopefully, we'll see a price war among Dodge, Ford, Chevy and Pontiac. Gas prices will also help us in getting a good price, but then we have to buy the gas to put in these beasts !! Deja vu' all over again !!!
Old 04-21-2008, 05:40 AM

wow 700 lbs less damn we are in trouble
Old 04-21-2008, 08:14 AM

I don't need the rear seats in the Challenger. Is anyone going to take that out? How much weight would that save? I'm tempted to remove it.
What kind of things do you think could be done to lighten the Challenger?
Old 04-21-2008, 08:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: JJMPB

wow 700 lbs less damn we are in trouble
It's worse than you think. Chevy has announced plans for a 2.0 liter turbocharged engine estimated to be around 260 Horse power; a 350 horse power V6; and a 400 hp. V8 (L76 6.0 L).

In addition, 8 months after the release of the V6 and V8 Camaro, Chevy will offer a convertible model.

It has also been rumored that a Z28 model will be produced to top the Mustang GT500 and the Challenger SRT by late summer/early Fall of 2009. Supposedly, it will have a supercharged LS3 engine. This engine will produce massive amount of hp and torque- in non-supercharged form it already matches the SRT by producing 430 hp. and 424 lbs. torque.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:08 AM

ORIGINAL: Billionaire
What kind of things do you think could be done to lighten the Challenger?
Well, you could take the floor and trunk mats out... remove the lug nut covers and valve stem caps... if it's got any sort of antenna you could take that off (help with aerodynamics too)... oh yeah, take off the CHALLENGER emblem on the grille and likewise remove the DODGE emblem on the rear - and be sure not to order any stripes on your car (again, that'll help with aerodynamics too, might even help with MPG too)

Lessee, am I missing anything?

Oh yeah - CIGARETTE LIGHTER! Take that puppy right out (if you're a smoker, use matches instead, they're much lighter than a cigarette lighter). If you REALLY wanted to get radical, you could yank the rear view mirror out (do you REALLY care what's behind you?). If you never plan of driving it in the rain, you could remove the windshield wipers - hey, I'm just thinking out loud here, I'm sure some here have some better ideas than I do...

Just having a little fun with ya, man

Old 04-21-2008, 01:40 PM

if that is the case then the challenger is pretty much done before it is even started revised time for challenger 3 years 2010 will be the last year of the challenger
Old 04-21-2008, 06:22 PM

I think the Camaro is gonna help keep Dodge honest and aware they are not the only game in town.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:29 PM

holy moly 700 pounds?? Ohh my god!!! The Challenger doesn't have a chance it sounds like. What's the cost supposed to be on the Camaro? Does anyone now what a base V-8 will cost?
I think the whole convertible option is such a bonus to the Camaro line-up. I really wish the Challenger would come with this option.

Quick Reply: Camaro may be good for the Challenger