Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Challenger: bad idea?

Old 03-08-2006, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Challenger: bad idea?

If in fact, the Challenger does become a 6.1L only, 6 speed only, 10,000 copy, $40,000, limited production car, has DCX blown it? After all the initial enthusiasm, would you be disappointed or glad to have one of the few?
Old 03-08-2006, 05:56 PM

Default RE: Challenger: bad idea?

ORIGINAL: B00SS

If in fact, the Challenger does become a 6.1L only, 6 speed only, 10,000 copy, $40,000, limited production car, has DCX blown it? After all the initial enthusiasm, would you be disappointed or glad to have one of the few?
IF Dodge does not offer a base V6 and base V8 higher volumed variants of the Challenger and builds only the limitted production 6.1 hemi optioned out 6-speed only model, THEN yes it will end up being a HUGE mistake and automotive marketing FAILURE of EPOCH proportion and STUPIDITY on Dodge's part...

HOWEVER.... IF Dodge does build the Challenger with all the above variants, higher volumed base V6, higher volumed base-5.7-V8, and the limited 6.1 Hemi high-optioned Challenger and does so keeping each variants MSRP competative with comparable variants of Ford Mustang/Mustang-GT/GT-500, ....

THEN.... H-LL YES ! ! !

The Challenger can end up one of the most successful automotive stories of the past 50 years ! ! !
Old 03-08-2006, 07:08 PM

If and I hope not, they go that route, I'll buy one as an investment not for enjoyment.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

It depends how you look at it. It would be a disappointment for me personally because I would not be able to afford one. DCX would have blown a perfectly good opportunity that would have really helped them out like the minivan, PT Crusier, LX sedans, etc. The way I see it. I think if they go this route, they will end up selling all of them in no time and will change their minds and produce more of them like they did with the Diesel Liberty, they sold double what they originally thought they would sell. I think either way this car will be mass produced. It's unique.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 03-08-2006, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

At this point, it doesn't matter to me as long as they have a higher performance variant. I am too old to think of it a an investment. I want it as a fun/weekend car.
My kids may think of it as an investment but in 25 years when it becomes as classic, I don't expect to be driving with great driving skills.

I need to have fun while I can. None of us know how long we have on this earth anyway.

I do plan to take care of it so my kids can enjoy it some day.

Jeremiah 29:11
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:51 AM

Anything over $35k and I will not be able to justify it to myself and especially to my wife. I will wait for a used one or the next years production hoping for a more affordable variant of the Challenger. I just hope that if the first years production is an expensive limited production model that ends up not selling well that they don't scrap it all together saying "see there's no demand". Let's just hope they are listening to us guys on these forums since we're the prospective customers for this vehicle in the first place!

The Challenger is a VERY GOOD idea, but it has to be marketed as it was originally, as a competitor for the Mustang and Camaro and NOT a Barrett Jackson future collectible.

Do you want to make the profit on this DCX, or leave it to some investment speculators 30-40 years from now?

Are you reading this DCX?
Old 03-09-2006, 05:29 AM

I think it would be a BIG mistake.... we don't need another Viper-type car that only the wealthier folks could afford. Even though I could probably still swing one, I'd have a hard time justifying it. I find it hard to believe that the bean counters at DCX could be that short-sighted, but they've made dumb decisions before, so I guess we'll have to wait and see what develops.....
Old 03-09-2006, 02:29 PM

I'm looking for performance, style and price, if DCX doesn't come through on the Challenger I will go elsewhere.

Al
Old 03-09-2006, 05:28 PM

I'd say the concept has two out of three. Price? Somehow this keeps entering the equation. Hopefully, they are listening.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:30 PM

Hello.. New here.

I think it's probably a good idea if they have a few different models to choose from. That said, I don't really care as I am going to get the LARGEST Hemi in it they got. As someone that grew up in the 60's and 70's, this car gives me some pretty good memories. I can't wait till it comes out and I can find a way to get one.

6.1L Hemi = GOOD
6.4L Hemi = REALLY GOOD

Either way I'll be happy with it. BFT a car that I can care about comes out again. Mustang was/is close, but it does not do it for me.. This looks to be about as right as they can make it in todays car world!

Come-on 2007!

Quick Reply: Challenger: bad idea?