Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Challenger T/A history

Old 06-24-2006, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Challenger T/A history

I found this table on the Challenger R/T 1970 vintage. Look at how light this car is.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17/8EF762B2418846D4825696AE1D68950D.jpg[/IMG]
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 06-24-2006, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator

I found another table with a 1970 Challenger but just V-8 versions. These cars are even lighter.

I just hope these make the concept car lighter.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17/5A95A04EBACE4888B292FED0AE0C59BC.jpg[/IMG]
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 06-24-2006, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

Here is the Challenger T/A version and it certainly was more expensive compared to the others.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17/69CDB8FB44E84DFF9EF9B5572B804F8F.jpg[/IMG]
Old 06-24-2006, 10:46 PM
Super Moderator

These 6 cylinders are really light and note the "Deputy" which I believe 1 Bad Mirada has referenced before.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17/2942FC90CDE94A16B22284DE8D54F253.jpg[/IMG]
Old 06-25-2006, 09:19 AM
Administrator

the reason that they were "so light", if you want to call 3400lbs light, was because they didnt have all the strict crash test and safety isues that we have today.

where did those tables come from? im surprised that they gained so much weight with the RTs...i wouldnt think that bigger brakes, slightly better suspension (and a bigger rear diff) and a slightly bigger motor would weigh 300lbs!

here is one that i found on my computer...its the first page from the spec sheet of a 70 model.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4/A86DDCB2481D43819C13F95D7E569161.jpg[/IMG]
Old 06-25-2006, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

Well compared to all of the new vehicles including the GT400 3400 lbs is light. The Mustang is a pig and even the Challenger at 4000 lbs is as much as a pick up truck.

Previously I was looking the kit GT40, Noble 400, GTM, Shelby Cobra, and they are close to 2500 lbs. and that is what I am used to looking. Of course, even the Z06 is around 3200 lbs and it has balsa wood for the floor board so it much be because of the safety issues like you said. The tables came from a Chrysler book from the book store. I think that 20-30 lbs here and there adds up real quick. The old GT500 is called the GT500 because it weight 500lbs more than the GT350.

Interesting how the different data sheets have different numbers.....maybe some are dry and some are wet specs..
Old 06-26-2006, 09:42 AM
Administrator

well, while they differ a bit, the sheet that i posed does say approx...and if you look at a challenger Rt convertible. you source says 3467, mine says 3500...33lbs could have been a very minor change..perhaps a 6 pack compared to a 4bbl, and perhaps a seat change?
Old 10-16-2006, 06:33 PM

The Challenger T/As were the first cars to utilize different size tires. The Trans Am cars also had the inner fender opening lips rolled just like the hemi cars did. The passenger's side fender is unique to the T/A. It shares the wheelwell lip characteristics of the hemi car, but lacks the hole for the antenna. The antenna was relocated to the rear passenger quarter (the engineers believed the lack of metal in the fiberglass hood would interfere with the radio reception).
The hood is unique in itself, as only two known non-T/A cars exist with the hood as a factory option. El Hemi did sport a T/A hood for the longest time, but it originally had a dual snorkel hood. A build sheet was found for a specially ordered triple-black R/T with the hood in another car, but is believed to be destroyed in the eighties. The last surviving car is a red R/T in New York.

T/As weren't really specially ordered machines, but if a "rare" T/A would be considered, it is the one KNOWN to exist with a factory sunroof. The other T/A rarities are the two-tone Trans Ams, and the WSS-T/A, which is believed to be a dealer conversion.

The 1971 Challenger T/A exists only in an airbrushed ad, some oddball parts and a rumor some were built.
-There is an ad for a 1970 T/A, that is yellow, and it was in the rain...Sound familar?
-There are some oddball aircleaners that are basically the garden variety four barrel dual snorkel unit, with the snorkels blocked off, and the lid traded for a rubber gasket to mount to the bottom of a hood...Makes sense, considering one could order a hood for his 383-4V challenger and swap it out. It is plausible that the aircleaner was made only as a replacement part in 1971 for Joe Blow and his 1970 Challenger, but it certianly fans the flames for the debate of the '71 T/A's existence...
-There is a rumor that a handful of '71 T/As that were built, but after Sam Posey and Dodge pulled out of SCCA, the T/As were converted back to 340 R/Ts for obvious reasons...

The wheels available for the T/A were BLACK steelies with either polished or brushed trim rings (depending on the amount of PCP in the assembler's bloodstream), and the 14" (someone back me up here, 15s were Hemi-only, right?) Rallyes. No Magnum 500s or wheel covers.

The T/A 340s had TA cast on the side of the block. The valvetrain was revised (again, running off of memory, can't remember), more beef was added to the main webbing (four bolt mains HELLO!), heavier-duty connecting rods, and yes, the all umbiquious Edelbrock intake! The T/A 340s also had the 7-blade clutch fan (usually reserved for cars with A/C (or maybe they all had the clutch fan by then...) good for at least 15 horsepower! I am not going to mention how Ma Mopar copied the heads off of the SBC for the new motor, but I will mention that the mill was topped by three Holleys.

A preproduction mule exists, it has the T/A's motor, but a bumblebee stripe and a snorkel hood. I remember seeing pictures of it with drafts of the "duck tail" spoiler

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head, sorry if I have anything wrong here!
Kelly

The rear suspension had increased camber in the rear for the G60 tires. The T/As had the fast-ratio box...I want to say the things had bigger torsion bars but I am not sure here.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:44 PM

ORIGINAL: kelly

The hood is unique in itself, as only two known non-T/A cars exist with the hood as a factory option. El Hemi did sport a T/A hood for the longest time, but it originally had a dual snorkel hood. A build sheet was found for a specially ordered triple-black R/T with the hood in another car, but is believed to be destroyed in the eighties. The last surviving car is a red R/T in New York.
The FE5 Rallye Red car in NY belonged to a friend of mine back in the 1980s. I have provided the current owner Patrick F. with some information and pictures, and the former owner provided a lot of pictures as well.

Here are two pictures from the 1980s, the color of the picture is faded on one of them...

XS

[IMG]local://upfiles/56/DACB06F9D1B646D0847B4D73FC2070DD.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/56/A6EDCC9EB63E44F8B35D9C598F0038BE.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-17-2006, 06:51 PM

Default Patrick!

Yeah, that's right, Patrick owns that car! I have few pics that he sent me last year, and the car looks GREAT! I have to go find the picture, but I will post it asap!
Kelly

Quick Reply: Challenger T/A history